What to improve first?

Hammond Egger

Jun 11, 2010
I just started training. What should I concentrate on or try to improve first? Cadence, speed or distance. I can't believe how weak my legs seem to be, I walk about 10 or 12 miles on an average day at work. My goal is 30 miles with an average speed of between 18 and 22 mph.

Hammond Egger said:
I just started training. What should I concentrate on or try to improve first? Cadence, speed or distance. I can't believe how weak my legs seem to be, I walk about 10 or 12 miles on an average day at work. My goal is 30 miles with an average speed of between 18 and 22 mph.

JRYB.

just ride your bike.

Work on enjoying the sport. You'll be more likely to keep coming back for more.
Past that, try a little of everything. Try some longer rides, try some shorter sprinting efforts, and see what you like doing the most. The best part about being untrained is that you'll get better in almost all areas no matter what you do.

Find a local group ride in your area. Many groups have 3 different levels. Start at the beginner level and work your way up. The importantance of starting at the beginning is to learn the rules of group riding. Learn the hand signals for road hazards, debris, stopping, turning, etc. Learning to hold a steady line is also important in group riding so you can learn to draft. When ready, move up to the intermediate group. By riding with others, you meet new people and riding becomes a social occasion. Also, don't skip having a light meal in the morning before the ride. Distance riding takes energy. You'll feel better for it. Good luck.

cadence, meaning a consistant and smooth pedal ='s base miles that of which you need to form power and that you can enjoy while just riding your bike, as stated above, solo or in group rides.

Attitude! Improve your mental state and everything else will fall into place.

+1 to the first 3 posts, and huskey.

You really have to just get some miles under you first. Focus on just riding for now.

If you start to break your training down into details like cadence and speed at this point in time, you will get mad at yourself for not doing better and that is not good.

So to answer your question, forget cadence and speed for now and focus on just riding and logging in some miles (and even that you need to go gradually on.).

jhuskey said:
Attitude! Improve your mental state and everything else will fall into place.

i'm hitting the 'I found this post extremely truthful and helpful' button thingamig, very well said.

Thanks for all the good advice. For the time being I decided to leave the computer at home and just ride around and enjoy the scenery. I'm really not at a point to where I should be monitoring anything but my heart rate yet. :D