What tyres should I buy?

tommyx375

May 17, 2010
hey guys,
i have two 26 x 2.1 inch mountain bike tyres on my mtb. i cycle 12 miles every day. 6 to school and 6 home. i want to change to road tyres because i don't cycle off road and i need new tyres. what are some good long lasting tyres that i can buy. thanks.

See what your local shop sells in this approximate size. You can also safely consider a narrower tire, say 26x1.75. If you use a significantly narrower tire, though, you will need narrower tubes, too.

Our shop sells Continental Town & Country tires. I don't remember whether they're 26x2.1 or 1.9, but either size would work with your current tubes.

tommyx375 said:
hey guys,
i have two 26 x 2.1 inch mountain bike tyres on my mtb. i cycle 12 miles every day. 6 to school and 6 home. i want to change to road tyres because i don't cycle off road and i need new tyres. what are some good long lasting tyres that i can buy. thanks.

I would avoid the many generic "slick' 26" tyres as they have a heavy low quality casing which can be pretty sluggish and tyre pressures limited.

There are some very good options with good tread compounds and kevlar puncture protection with aramid beads. These are lively and will give you several thousand kilometers/miles of service.

Brands by tyre manufacturers such as Continental, Michelin, and Panaracer are a good bet. One stands out is the Panaracer Pasela which comes in an aramid bead or the cheaper wire bead the first being lighter these take pressures up to 65 psi

There are many brand are in market for tyres.Conventional tires used on 99% of all bicycles are "clincher" type, also known as "wire-on.Your tires should visibly bulge out at least a bit under your weight.Different tyres depend on the types of cycle, like mountain rider or any other.

How wide is your rim? You can get road-bike-like tires for an mtb but some rims may be too wide to be safely used with them.