General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What would you do?

Started by Giggles · · Last activity · 39 posts · 712 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 December 2005
Last activity
23 December 2005
Original author
Giggles
Posts
39
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
712
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–39 of 39
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Knit Chic" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You say they are 'friends'
    well, friends put up w/ bad cooking.
    I wouldn't call you a friend at all ...


    Wow that's a little harsh. One can vent here and still be a friend. I
    think that fact that she's not telling her friend to her face "You're a bad
    cook!" is statement enough about her friendship.

    Lynne

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Giggles said:

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Have you already said yes? Then, IMO, you can't.

    If you haven't, though, you can always say that you are busy. You
    are not required to give a reason. If it's during December, you can say
    that you are busy, you know the holidays, and leave it at that.
    Otherwise, we are busy is a fine response. In the future, though, why
    not head it off with a game night, and make it potluck, so you can bring
    something, but still visit their home. With games playing, maybe the
    husband will be less of a jerk, or at least you will have an excuse not
    to converse too much. If you don't like games, a movie night also
    works. I suggest this for at their home only because you may hurt her
    feelings if you never go to their place and they always come to yours.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  3. First you go to their house, and explain you're ears are acting up and
    them the cotton in your ears. BUT you want to hear their conversation,
    and that's why you brought a tape recorder, so you could play it back
    when your hearing improves - then when leaving , leave the tape there.
    When they call to say they found your tape - just say .... No thanks, I
    have enough buzzing still....

  4. Giggles said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends house
    for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play somewhat
    nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get along well ...

    Up to here, all's well. Accepting the invitation is obviously right.

    Quoted message said:

    but her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not nice to say that....

    So what? You don't go to friends for dinner just because the food will
    be excellent. You go because they are friends. Here you have the
    added (great and unusual) benefit that six kids get along well.

    Quoted message said:

    Now as for her husband he's a really annoying. He's the type of person that can
    have a four hour conversation with himself & you have to sit there and
    listen because he won't let you speak and if you dare to speak according to
    him your wrong all the time!

    Again, so what? You don't really have to just sit and listen. Go help
    in the kitchen, busy yourself eating, go check on the kids. Distract
    the conversation to a topic you can all join in on instead of his
    monologue. Or start a side conversation with the wife with whom you
    talk more easily. It's an adult skill, work on it.

    Quoted message said:

    My husband and I don't want to go.

    If you don't go you will sooner or later not be friends with these
    people anymore. Your choice.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    As you can tell, I don't think you should. You don't think so either
    or you wouldn't have asked. -aem

  5. Giggles said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends house
    for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play somewhat
    nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get along well but
    her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not nice to say that. Now
    as for her husband he's a really annoying. He's the type of person that can
    have a four hour conversation with himself & you have to sit there and
    listen because he won't let you speak and if you dare to speak according to
    him your wrong all the time!
    My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Let me rephrase this as a way of understanding it correctly. If the
    cooking were spectacular, you'd put up with the boor of a husband. If
    the husband were a delight to be with, you'd put up with horrible
    cooking. The trouble, the way I understand it, is that nothing about
    the evening is good enough to make it worthwhile putting up with
    everything else. Even the kids only play together somewhat nicely. If
    the kids were best friends who truly enjoyed each other and got a lot
    out of each others' company, you might consider putting up with both bad
    cooking and bad husband.

    I'm going to suggest not making an excuse for not accepting the dinner
    invitation. If you say that you're busy, your hostess will only invite
    you again until you're not busy. It will get harder and harder to get
    out of it. Instead, say point blank that you prefer getting together
    with her without involving both families. Then stonewall if she asks
    why or guesses why. ("I realize your husband wants to come along, but
    I'd still like to get together when it's just the two of us." Repeat as
    necessary.) Ultimately that's more polite than lying.

    --Lia

  6. "Giggles" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends
    house for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play
    somewhat nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get
    along well but her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not
    nice to say that. Now as for her husband he's a really annoying.
    He's the type of person that can have a four hour conversation with
    himself & you have to sit there and listen because he won't let you
    speak and if you dare to speak according to him your wrong all the
    time! My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

    "Thank you for the invitation, we have other plans. Perhaps another time."

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  7. "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Giggles" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends
    house for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play
    somewhat nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get
    along well but her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not
    nice to say that. Now as for her husband he's a really annoying.
    He's the type of person that can have a four hour conversation with
    himself & you have to sit there and listen because he won't let you
    speak and if you dare to speak according to him your wrong all the
    time! My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

    "Thank you for the invitation, we have other plans. Perhaps another time."

    Michael

    What's wrong with the truth?

    How 'bout she says "No thanks and as long as you're married to the Pompous Ass
    it will remain no but let's do lunch"

    LOL

    Dimitri

  8. HAHAHA Dimitri...
    Thanks for the laugh, I'll have to try that one...hahaha

    "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Giggles" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends
    house for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play
    somewhat nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get
    along well but her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not
    nice to say that. Now as for her husband he's a really annoying.
    He's the type of person that can have a four hour conversation with
    himself & you have to sit there and listen because he won't let you
    speak and if you dare to speak according to him your wrong all the
    time! My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

    "Thank you for the invitation, we have other plans. Perhaps another
    time."

    Michael

    What's wrong with the truth?

    How 'bout she says "No thanks and as long as you're married to the Pompous
    Ass it will remain no but let's do lunch"

    LOL

    Dimitri

  9. Giggles said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends house
    for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play somewhat
    nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get along well but
    her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not nice to say that. Now
    as for her husband he's a really annoying. He's the type of person that can
    have a four hour conversation with himself & you have to sit there and
    listen because he won't let you speak and if you dare to speak according to
    him your wrong all the time!
    My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

    I would do the honorable thing: lie. I'd say, "Thank you so much for the
    invitation, but we can't make it. December is a really busy month for us.
    Why don't I call you sometime after the first of the year and we'll
    work on getting together. Is that good for you?"

    Then don't call. Unless you see this woman at work or at church or
    someplace you frequent regularly, this should take care of it for a while.

    You call her a "friend", so I assume you know her well. You might just
    have to invite her to lunch one day and say that getting the families
    together is such a hassle and that the two of you don't get to visit much
    when everyone is together and you would just perfer for the two of you to
    sneak off for a "girls time together" lunch or shopping trip.

    If she insists on family dinner, at some point, you'll have to be honest.
    You might start with, "our husbands didn't 'click' they way you and I
    did." Chances are she knows all too well that her husband is impossible.
    You are better off losing a "friend" than putting your family through that
    ordeal just to be nice.

    Elaine, too

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    King's Crown said:

    Hi Spoons,

    Quoted message said:

    Just stopping by to look at her Halloween decorations was horrendous.
    He had gotten home from work when I was there and he promptly
    started haranging me for the vehicle I drove, how it was parked, and
    why would I stop by for a visit if I wasn't going to stay long. Then
    says, "I'm just kidding." I wanted to drive my car over him.

    Quoted message said:


    Lynne

    "There are 4 kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and
    praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-4-05, Skyline Aglow

  11. I don't think anyone asked for "your" opinion on that
    particular problem.

    MoM
    "Knit Chic" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You say they are 'friends'
    well, friends put up w/ bad cooking.
    I wouldn't call you a friend at all ...

    "Giggles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to
    a friends house for dinner. They have 4 kids of their
    own, all the kids play somewhat nicely together. As for
    the wife she's very nice and we get along well but her
    cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not nice to
    say that. Now as for her husband he's a really annoying.
    He's the type of person that can have a four hour
    conversation with himself & you have to sit there and
    listen because he won't let you speak and if you dare to
    speak according to him your wrong all the time!
    My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out
    of this dinner invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

  12. "Giggles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Lynne,

    That's exactally my situation, the wife is my friend and
    we get along really good, we ladies always take the kids
    out for activities. Her husband always wants together!!!
    Spoons

    "King's Crown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend with an annoying husband. We never plan
    things as couples. Us moms take the kids and do things, so
    the kids can play.

    Thank them for the invite, bow out due to holiday
    obligations and NEVER except an invite that includes the
    annoying husband.

    Lynne

    "Giggles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner
    to a friends house for dinner. They have 4 kids of
    their own, all the kids play somewhat nicely together.
    As for the wife she's very nice and we get along well
    but her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not
    nice to say that. Now as for her husband he's a really
    annoying. He's the type of person that can have a four
    hour conversation with himself & you have to sit there
    and listen because he won't let you speak and if you
    dare to speak according to him your wrong all the time!
    My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out
    of this dinner invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS


    Hi Lynne,

    That's exactally my situation, the wife is my friend and
    we get along really good, we ladies always take the kids
    out for activities. Her husband always wants together!!!
    Spoons

    It's a tough decision. You don't want to hurt the wifes
    feelings by hurting her husbands feelings. For me, I'd just
    be busy with something else and make sure you are because if
    she calls and you're home that really could throw a monkey
    wrench into the works.

    MoM

  13. On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:05:33 -0500, Dave Smith <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    A guy who talks nonstop and tells you how stupid you are if you disagree???
    Exchange that nice enough wife for a raving fanatic and you have my in laws :-)

    I believe the phrase is;

    Overspoken and underinformed

    Every family's got one.

    <rj>

  14. Thanks Elaine,

    I really enjoyed your advice & I'll put it to good use.

    "Elaine Parrish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Giggles said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends house
    for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play somewhat
    nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get along well
    but
    her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not nice to say that.
    Now
    as for her husband he's a really annoying. He's the type of person that
    can
    have a four hour conversation with himself & you have to sit there and
    listen because he won't let you speak and if you dare to speak according
    to
    him your wrong all the time!
    My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

    I would do the honorable thing: lie. I'd say, "Thank you so much for the
    invitation, but we can't make it. December is a really busy month for us.
    Why don't I call you sometime after the first of the year and we'll
    work on getting together. Is that good for you?"

    Then don't call. Unless you see this woman at work or at church or
    someplace you frequent regularly, this should take care of it for a while.

    You call her a "friend", so I assume you know her well. You might just
    have to invite her to lunch one day and say that getting the families
    together is such a hassle and that the two of you don't get to visit much
    when everyone is together and you would just perfer for the two of you to
    sneak off for a "girls time together" lunch or shopping trip.

    If she insists on family dinner, at some point, you'll have to be honest.
    You might start with, "our husbands didn't 'click' they way you and I
    did." Chances are she knows all too well that her husband is impossible.
    You are better off losing a "friend" than putting your family through that
    ordeal just to be nice.

    Elaine, too

  15. "Dimitri" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Giggles" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends
    house for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play
    somewhat nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we
    get along well but her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's
    not nice to say that. Now as for her husband he's a really
    annoying. He's the type of person that can have a four hour
    conversation with himself & you have to sit there and listen because
    he won't let you speak and if you dare to speak according to him
    your wrong all the time! My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this
    dinner invitation?

    Thanks so much,
    SPOONS

    "Thank you for the invitation, we have other plans. Perhaps another
    time."

    Michael

    What's wrong with the truth?

    How 'bout she says "No thanks and as long as you're married to the
    Pompous Ass it will remain no but let's do lunch"

    LOL

    Dimitri

    ROFLMAO... I love you way of thinking.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  16. "Giggles" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    My husband and I and our 2 kids were invited to dinner to a friends house
    for dinner. They have 4 kids of their own, all the kids play somewhat
    nicely together. As for the wife she's very nice and we get along well


    but

    Quoted message said:

    her cooking is not very good, sorry I know it's not nice to say that. Now
    as for her husband he's a really annoying. He's the type of person that


    can

    Quoted message said:

    have a four hour conversation with himself & you have to sit there and
    listen because he won't let you speak and if you dare to speak according


    to

    Quoted message said:

    him your wrong all the time!
    My husband and I don't want to go.

    Anyway my question is this. How do we politely get out of this dinner
    invitation?

    Tell 'em you still got the [censored] from last time?

    Shaun aRe - Like, you're still trying to excrete all the [censored] the hubby was
    dishing out ',;~}~

  17. "Knit Chic" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You say they are 'friends'
    well, friends put up w/ bad cooking.
    I wouldn't call you a friend at all ...

    She said she wasn't keen on her friend's cooking, but that doesn't stop her
    going and eating. It's the idiot [censored] of a mouthy hubby of her friend she
    wants to avoid.

    Shaun aRe

  18. "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Thank you for the invitation, we have other plans. Perhaps another
    time."

    Michael

    What's wrong with the truth?

    How 'bout she says "No thanks and as long as you're married to the
    Pompous Ass it will remain no but let's do lunch"

    LOL

    Dimitri

    ROFLMAO... I love you way of thinking.

    Michael

    The truth shall set you free!

    LOL

    Dimitri

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Giggles said:

    That's exactally my situation, the wife is my friend and we get along really
    good, we ladies always take the kids out for activities. Her husband always
    wants together!!!

    I'm afraid to ask. What does he want? How does he look at you?

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.