What's the nastiest thing you've ever been served at a restaurant?

"ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>

>> "Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > We went out for a quick bite today and I decided to go some place
>> > new... they had 'stuffed mushroom caps' on the appetiser menu and it
>> > sounded delicious - I don't know what I expected, but it sure wasn't
>> > what showed up on the plate! DH tasted it before I did and
>> > practically spat it out with a look of loathing on his face,
>> > followed by a huge gulp of his soda... I thought he was being picky
>> > (he is sometimes) so I tried too... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no
>> > trace whatsoever of the advertised 'prosciutto, onions, celery and
>> > garlic'. Well, the garlic was amply in evidence - there were about
>> > twenty-five cloves of the stuff spread around on the plate. It was
>> > just grey soggy caps filled with grey soggy BITTER goo.
>> > This was the first plate of food that I've had absolutely no
>> > hesitation in sending back to the kitchen - usually I pick at it and
>> > eat what I can, but this time absolutely NOTHING on the plate was
>> > salvageable. I even sampled a second mushroom in case there had been
>> > something wrong with the first one, but it was just as foul.
>> > I sent back the mushrooms and ordered chicken wings instead, because
>> > they were harder to mess up...
>> >
>> > So, that's my vent over with... what's the nastiest thing you've
>> > unwittingly ordered/been served at a restaurant?

>> Japanese food. Some of it can be so unbelievably hideous. For me it
>> is a toss-up between natto, which smells and tastes like vomit, or a
>> dish made from jellied fish eggs served in warm fish liver "crhme"
>> for lack of a better word. I've only gagged once in a restaurant
>> and that was it. I damned near puked in my napkin.
>>
>> As for natto, well be warned. If many Japanese hate it, you know it
>> has to be bad.
>>
>> Paul

> Yeah, when I lived in japan, I stuck to the chicken shacks and noodle
> shops.
> soups.

Well if there are two things the Japanese excel at it is BBQ and noodles. I
could eat my weight in their noodle soups and hibachi grilled teriyaki
chicken is just fabulous.

Paul

jmcquown wrote:

> Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> > We went out for a quick bite today and I decided to go some place
> > new... they had 'stuffed mushroom caps' on the appetiser menu and it
> > sounded delicious - I don't know what I expected, but it sure wasn't
> > what showed up on the plate! DH tasted it before I did and
> > practically spat it out with a look of loathing on his face,
> > followed by a huge gulp of his soda... I thought he was being picky
> > (he is sometimes) so I tried too... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was no
> > trace whatsoever of the advertised 'prosciutto, onions, celery and
> > garlic'. Well, the garlic was amply in evidence - there were about
> > twenty-five cloves of the stuff spread around on the plate. It was
> > just grey soggy caps filled with grey soggy BITTER goo.
> > This was the first plate of food that I've had absolutely no
> > hesitation in sending back to the kitchen - usually I pick at it and
> > eat what I can, but this time absolutely NOTHING on the plate was
> > salvageable. I even sampled a second mushroom in case there had been
> > something wrong with the first one, but it was just as foul.
> > I sent back the mushrooms and ordered chicken wings instead, because
> > they were harder to mess up...
> >
> > So, that's my vent over with... what's the nastiest thing you've
> > unwittingly ordered/been served at a restaurant?

> Pretty much anything served at Sonic. Granted I like tater tots and
> they can manage those. But I don't like dried out burgers. We were
> on the road and this small town had nothing else to offer, not even a
> McD's! We were hungry. I wouldn't recommend anything from Sonic.
>
> Jill

I just like their shakes.

--
-Gina in Italy

Favorite phrase of the day: Messiah-envy

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Paul M. Cook wrote:
> >

> >>"Karen AKA Kajikit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> it >>> sounded delicious - I don't know what I expected, but it sure
> wasn't >>> what showed up on the plate! DH tasted it before I did and

> picky >>> (he is sometimes) so I tried too... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! There
> was no >>> trace whatsoever of the advertised 'prosciutto, onions,
> celery and >>> garlic'. Well, the garlic was amply in evidence -
> there were about >>> twenty-five cloves of the stuff spread around on
> the plate. It was >>> just grey soggy caps filled with grey soggy
> BITTER goo. >>> This was the first plate of food that I've had
> absolutely no >>> hesitation in sending back to the kitchen - usually
> I pick at it and >>> eat what I can, but this time absolutely NOTHING
> on the plate was >>> salvageable. I even sampled a second mushroom in
> case there had been >>> something wrong with the first one, but it
> was just as foul. >>> I sent back the mushrooms and ordered chicken
> wings instead, because >>> they were harder to mess up...

> > > Japanese food. Some of it can be so unbelievably hideous. For
> > > me it is a toss-up between natto, which smells and tastes like
> > > vomit, or a dish made from jellied fish eggs served in warm fish
> > > liver "crhme" for lack of a better word. I've only gagged once
> > > in a restaurant and that was it. I damned near puked in my
> > > napkin.
> > >
> > > As for natto, well be warned. If many Japanese hate it, you know
> > > it has to be bad.
> > >
> > > Paul

> > Yeah, when I lived in japan, I stuck to the chicken shacks and
> > noodle shops.
> > soups.

> Well if there are two things the Japanese excel at it is BBQ and
> noodles. I could eat my weight in their noodle soups and hibachi
> grilled teriyaki chicken is just fabulous.
>
> Paul

Yeah...I felt pretty safe..lol. And the gyoza at the noodle shops was
always fantastic. And the Yaki Niku...I really need to go back some
time.

--
-Gina in Italy

Favorite phrase of the day: Messiah-envy

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 02:24:19 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Pretty much anything served at Sonic. Granted I like tater tots and they
>can manage those. But I don't like dried out burgers.

We have a Sonic Drive In just 2 blocks away. Their burgers are
actually quite good. Must be a regional thing, or that I'm just not
picky. :)

--
Zilbandy

"ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>

>> "ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> it >>> sounded delicious - I don't know what I expected, but it sure
>> wasn't >>> what showed up on the plate! DH tasted it before I did and

>> picky >>> (he is sometimes) so I tried too... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! There
>> was no >>> trace whatsoever of the advertised 'prosciutto, onions,
>> celery and >>> garlic'. Well, the garlic was amply in evidence -
>> there were about >>> twenty-five cloves of the stuff spread around on
>> the plate. It was >>> just grey soggy caps filled with grey soggy
>> BITTER goo. >>> This was the first plate of food that I've had
>> absolutely no >>> hesitation in sending back to the kitchen - usually
>> I pick at it and >>> eat what I can, but this time absolutely NOTHING
>> on the plate was >>> salvageable. I even sampled a second mushroom in
>> case there had been >>> something wrong with the first one, but it
>> was just as foul. >>> I sent back the mushrooms and ordered chicken
>> wings instead, because >>> they were harder to mess up...

>> > Yeah, when I lived in japan, I stuck to the chicken shacks and
>> > noodle shops.
>> > soups.

>> Well if there are two things the Japanese excel at it is BBQ and
>> noodles. I could eat my weight in their noodle soups and hibachi
>> grilled teriyaki chicken is just fabulous.
>>
>> Paul

> Yeah...I felt pretty safe..lol. And the gyoza at the noodle shops was
> always fantastic. And the Yaki Niku...I really need to go back some
> time.

Ah yes, yakinuri. I lived in Japan from 66-67, in Kyoto. As a small boy I
remember little, except I'd always flock to the yakitori vendor, and
yakinuri vendors whenever we went out in public. I remember they were sold
in these little cardboard "boats." I think they were just a few yen at the
time, but the vendors thought we Americans were cute so they'd often give us
a serving for free.

Paul

"Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>

>>> "ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> it >>> sounded delicious - I don't know what I expected, but it sure
>>> wasn't >>> what showed up on the plate! DH tasted it before I did and
>>> picky >>> (he is sometimes) so I tried too... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! There
>>> was no >>> trace whatsoever of the advertised 'prosciutto, onions,
>>> celery and >>> garlic'. Well, the garlic was amply in evidence -
>>> there were about >>> twenty-five cloves of the stuff spread around on
>>> the plate. It was >>> just grey soggy caps filled with grey soggy
>>> BITTER goo. >>> This was the first plate of food that I've had
>>> absolutely no >>> hesitation in sending back to the kitchen - usually
>>> I pick at it and >>> eat what I can, but this time absolutely NOTHING
>>> on the plate was >>> salvageable. I even sampled a second mushroom in
>>> case there had been >>> something wrong with the first one, but it
>>> was just as foul. >>> I sent back the mushrooms and ordered chicken
>>> wings instead, because >>> they were harder to mess up...

>>> Well if there are two things the Japanese excel at it is BBQ and
>>> noodles. I could eat my weight in their noodle soups and hibachi
>>> grilled teriyaki chicken is just fabulous.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Yeah...I felt pretty safe..lol. And the gyoza at the noodle shops was
>> always fantastic. And the Yaki Niku...I really need to go back some
>> time.

> Ah yes, yakinuri. I lived in Japan from 66-67, in Kyoto. As a small boy
> I remember little, except I'd always flock to the yakitori vendor, and
> yakinuri vendors whenever we went out in public. I remember they were
> sold in these little cardboard "boats." I think they were just a few yen
> at the time, but the vendors thought we Americans were cute so they'd
> often give us a serving for free.

Or what is the name of those grilled bbq squid balls? I seem to remember
them as being yakinuri, but I can't find any reference now for them. I do
recall they were divine.

Paul

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Or what is the name of those grilled bbq squid balls? I seem to
> remember them as being yakinuri, but I can't find any reference now
> for them. I do recall they were divine.
>
> Paul

The yakiniku that i'm talking about was beef or pork and onion in some
sort of sweet sauce. Served with the requisite rice and pink pickle.

On 2007-07-04, Paul M. Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

> toss-up between natto, which smells and tastes like vomit, or a dish made

> As for natto, well be warned. If many Japanese hate it, you know it has to
> be bad.

The same can be said of several foods. Durian and limburger are two
that come to mind. I've not tried the former, but quite enjoy the
later. Though I like most soy products, I don't think I'd like natto.
Looks like bowl full of spider webs. Ick.

nb

On 2007-07-04, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pretty much anything served at Sonic. Granted I like tater tots and they
> can manage those. But I don't like dried out burgers.

You can get dried out burgers anywhere. Carls Jr makes a great burger
if you get it fresh cooked. But, my local CJs holds old burgers
seemingly for days. There's only a couple places I trust to do a
fresh burger from the drive through. All the rest I go inside and
request a fresh cooked burger and patiently wait for it.

nb

On Jul 3, 6:47 pm, Karen AKA Kajikit <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, that's my vent over with... what's the nastiest thing you've
> unwittingly ordered/been served at a restaurant?

ewwwww.... soggy buttons...rah!

The worst I've ordered was a crab cake from a truck stop

I shoulda known! they deep fried a little brown fishy tasting
sponge...
it was dripping, the grease wasn't hot enough or something.

Im like, I think I will eat this in the hospitol ER.

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> Japanese food. Some of it can be so unbelievably hideous. For me it is a
> toss-up between natto, which smells and tastes like vomit, or a dish made
> from jellied fish eggs served in warm fish liver "crème" for lack of a
> better word. I've only gagged once in a restaurant and that was it. I
> damned near puked in my napkin.

??????????????
I have only had Japanese a few times, and everything was delicious.

ravenlynne wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Pretty much anything served at Sonic. Granted I like tater tots and
>> they can manage those. But I don't like dried out burgers. We were
>> on the road and this small town had nothing else to offer, not even a
>> McD's! We were hungry. I wouldn't recommend anything from Sonic.
>>
>> Jill

> I just like their shakes.

Granted! It's hard to mess up a milkshake :)

"ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I tried to conceal the uneaten condition of my dinner, but how can
>> you hide a full plate of food? No worries, the waitress took my plate
>> away without comment. Maybe that happened a lot there.
>>
>> Wonder if it's still in business.

> I wonder why an irish place would serve tacos? LOL

That's the thing, it's a Mexican restaurant! Owned by an Irish guy
who bummed around Mexico for a while. I could see into the
kitchen, the (****** off) cook was Chinese. Bad news all around.

And yes, I looked, they are still in business.

nancy

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-07-04, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Pretty much anything served at Sonic. Granted I like tater tots and
>> they can manage those. But I don't like dried out burgers.

> You can get dried out burgers anywhere. Carls Jr makes a great burger
> if you get it fresh cooked. But, my local CJs holds old burgers
> seemingly for days. There's only a couple places I trust to do a
> fresh burger from the drive through. All the rest I go inside and
> request a fresh cooked burger and patiently wait for it.
>
> nb

I don't do fast food very often but I'm not going to say I *never* do. It's
just very rare; maybe twice a year. But this is one situation where my
dislike of raw veggies and condiments on a burger works to my advantage!
They can't give me one of those been-sitting-under-the-heatlamp-for two
hours pre-wrapped burgers when I specify I want it plain with only cheese.
Sometimes it confoozles them until they realize oh, they're gonna have to
cook one ;)

ravenlynne wrote:

>> Any recipe that includes the direction "bury in gravel
>> for 6 to 12 weeks" is just asking for critical opinion.
>>
>> --Blair

> Balut! Kimchee!

I love kimchee!!
When I was pregnant with my son, kimchee and sticky rice were the only
food that appealed to me for 2 or 3 months. That and a beer, which I had
avoided until the doctor suggested a bit to help stimulate my appetite
as I was losing weight.
Kid doesn't seem any worse for the wear of the kimchee.. :)

jmcquown wrote:

> Pretty much anything served at Sonic. Granted I like tater tots and they
> can manage those. But I don't like dried out burgers. We were on the road
> and this small town had nothing else to offer, not even a McD's! We were
> hungry. I wouldn't recommend anything from Sonic.
> Jill

But was that a one time event or each time you go?
I have stopped there for their drinks. They're pretty good. I don't
generally get more than just the flavored lemon/lime aides though.

ravenlynne wrote:

> I like it occasionally, but they shouldn't be allowed to call it
> Italian...lol. I feel sorry for the poor schmucks that get transferred
> here and expect to get olive garden type food out in town. Doesn't
> exist.

I wouldn't say I feel "sorry" for them, but I do roll my eyes at the
folks who go to Europe, and buy Budweiser at the class 6 store instead
of drinking the local brews.

Nancy Young wrote:

> "ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> > > I tried to conceal the uneaten condition of my dinner, but how can
> > > you hide a full plate of food? No worries, the waitress took my
> > > plate away without comment. Maybe that happened a lot there.
> > >
> > > Wonder if it's still in business.

> > I wonder why an irish place would serve tacos? LOL

> That's the thing, it's a Mexican restaurant! Owned by an Irish guy
> who bummed around Mexico for a while. I could see into the
> kitchen, the (****** off) cook was Chinese. Bad news all around.
>
> And yes, I looked, they are still in business.
>
> nancy

That's just too bizarre not to be true...lol

--
-Gina in Italy

Favorite phrase of the day: Messiah-envy

"ravenlynne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>

> > Or what is the name of those grilled bbq squid balls? I seem to
> > remember them as being yakinuri, but I can't find any reference now
> > for them. I do recall they were divine.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> The yakiniku that i'm talking about was beef or pork and onion in some
> sort of sweet sauce. Served with the requisite rice and pink pickle.

And sesame seeds as I remember. Served on little toothpicks.

Paul

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
> >

> > Japanese food. Some of it can be so unbelievably hideous. For me it is

> > toss-up between natto, which smells and tastes like vomit, or a dish

made
> > from jellied fish eggs served in warm fish liver "crème" for lack of a
> > better word. I've only gagged once in a restaurant and that was it. I
> > damned near puked in my napkin.

> I have only had Japanese a few times, and everything was delicious.

You haven't had "real" Japanese yet. You won't find a great many
traditional Japanese dishes on a menu that caters to Americans. There is
just no way most Americans can get it down, let alone hold it there.

Paul