Whats the optimum length of intervals?

tarczan

Jul 14, 2004
I'm training for a 15 mile flat TT and have been doing one minute intervals with one minute rest. 18 total, it's very rough, but I've done it in the past with great results. I see Lance does longer intervals, but Eddie B recommends one minute intervals.

I do these Thursday and then 6- 30 second sprints along with a few 3 minute hill sessions on tuesday, Sunday cruise intervals of about 20 -40 minutes.
I can handle this pretty well with easy rides in between.

Any suggestions?

tarczan said:
I'm training for a 15 mile flat TT and have been doing one minute intervals with one minute rest. 18 total, it's very rough, but I've done it in the past with great results. I see Lance does longer intervals, but Eddie B recommends one minute intervals.

I do these Thursday and then 6- 30 second sprints along with a few 3 minute hill sessions on tuesday, Sunday cruise intervals of about 20 -40 minutes.
I can handle this pretty well with easy rides in between.

Any suggestions?

to increase aerobic power you need to work on longer intervals of at least 3-mins at zone 5 to 6 (see http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern) and blocks of 15 - 30 mins @ zone 4.

very short intervals will start to work anaerobic power and capacity, however, if the rest period is very short then these intervals become more and more aerobic due to the lack of recovery -- you will, however, find that the power of these intervals will dramatically decrease which means the adaptations may not be great.

ric