Whats wrong with a Huffy??

"foda13" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Read a post and someone was putting down huffy MTB. Sure they are not
> Trek
> or Cannondale, but when you love the sport and emjoy riding as much as
> possible, and can not afford to spend $1000 on a bike. a ten dollar huffy
> at
> a yardsale brings hours of happiness. Is MTBing only about the price of
> your rig and gear? Or is it about the trail and what we can do on it.
> Yes,
> there is some jealousy when I see a Full suspension trek on the trail, and
> ride a huffy I have to repair with parts from donated bikes, but I promise
> you, He doesn't have anymore fun than I do.
> My point is, don't look down on us that can't afford expensive bikes.
> We all endo and bleed the same, I hope you would offer me help on the
> trail,
> as I WOULd you, even though a ride a left over huffy ******.
>
> Peace

I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.

One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

"foda13" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Read a post and someone was putting down huffy MTB. Sure they are not
> Trek
> or Cannondale, but when you love the sport and emjoy riding as much as
> possible, and can not afford to spend $1000 on a bike. a ten dollar huffy
> at
> a yardsale brings hours of happiness. Is MTBing only about the price of
> your rig and gear? Or is it about the trail and what we can do on it.
> Yes,
> there is some jealousy when I see a Full suspension trek on the trail, and
> ride a huffy I have to repair with parts from donated bikes, but I promise
> you, He doesn't have anymore fun than I do.
> My point is, don't look down on us that can't afford expensive bikes.
> We all endo and bleed the same, I hope you would offer me help on the
> trail,
> as I WOULd you, even though a ride a left over huffy ******.
>
> Peace

I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.

One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

There's nothing wrong with any bike that can put a smile on your face,
ride it, repair it and have fun.
I guess now I'm lucky enough to choose to ride a bike where I can trust
the brakes to work, the forks to react and the frame not to break.
Which I wouldn't be able to do on a Huffy. I've been riding off-road
for almost 20 years and this is the first year I've picked up a brand
new bike. It's not second hand, an ebay special or last years stock.
That's 20 years of riding what my mates thought were **** bikes, in
fact some of which were **** bikes, but I still had a blast, still had
fun and on whole kicked their asses.
And of course we'd stop to help you out on the trail, hell I'd even
stop to help a hiker.

di wrote:
> I don't think there's much criticism of the person riding a Huffy, a Next, a
> Roadmaster, or any *mart type of bike, I think mostly it's criticizing the
> bike itself, their poor construction, sometimes dangerous components &
> assembly, and "one size fits all" marketing of the department stores.
> Almost every thread on this subject, most will advise the Huffy rider to
> take their money and shop for a used quality bike, which there are plenty
> available for close what you will pay for a department store bike.
>
> One common thing you will see is the owner of a low end bike thinking you
> should feel sorry for them because it all they can "afford".

Well said! I have no problem finding used bikes at reasonable prices
for acquaintances. Just up the road from me a guy must rescue bikes
from yard sales and fix them up. I've ridden by him a few times on my
road bike and finally decided to stop and look. I found:

Raleigh M70 - $175 (Deore Components)
Trek 820 - $65 (Unknown Components)
GT ??? - $75 (XT Components)
Trek ??? - $75 (XT Front / Deore Rear)

If you look you will find. My first SS (CrapandFail 1FG) was purchased
used on eBay for $275 and I just sold it for $450.

There is NO reason anyone has to buy a BSO.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> I rode Huffy-s all throughout my youth, and it wasn't until I could
>> afford my own bike when I started college did I have a nice one.
>>
>> Now that I work at a bike shop it's like an autoimmune disease...
>> can't... get... rid... of it...

> I resent that remark. My RA is managable, I can live with it here in
> Durango. A huffy would probably be scrap metal after the first ride :)

Oops... when I said I can't get rid of it, I meant cycling (and nice bikes)
in general.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Marz wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with any bike that can put a smile on your face,
> ride it, repair it and have fun.
> I guess now I'm lucky enough to choose to ride a bike where I can
> trust the brakes to work, the forks to react and the frame not to
> break.

I've never seen nor heard of a Huffy frame breaking. I'm curious if anyone
else here has. They're built so heavily with mild steel that I'd be
surprised if one broke. The wheels on the bike would invariably fail sooner
than the frame.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> I've never seen nor heard of a Huffy frame breaking. I'm curious if anyone
> else here has. They're built so heavily with mild steel that I'd be
> surprised if one broke. The wheels on the bike would invariably fail sooner
> than the frame.

I bent my old steel forks but i doubt i could have done it without the
20-0mph dead-stop that was involved :D

While the steel tubing is strong enough, it's the **** welds that hold
these tubes together I don't trust. There was a recall of a men's Huffy
mountain bike a few years back due to poor welds at the headtube.

Laters,

Marz

Per foda13:
>. a ten dollar huffy at
>a yardsale brings hours of happiness.

Sure, people can say they're junk - but they work and the retailer made a
profit, the importer made a profit, the manufacturer in China or wherever made a
profit - and somebody here has a brand-new fully-functional bike for less than
two hundred bucks. To me, that's a minor miracle.

Understood there's room for discussion of the meaning of "work".... but still...
--
PeteCresswell

Dilusion wrote:
> where does the word 'huffy' come from?
>
> thanks

The founders name was Huffman. The "huffy" brand name was started after
WWII... and after they dropped the "Dayton" brand name.

Llatikcuf wrote:

> This is the gayest thing I have ever heard.

Brilliant.

It's true. This guy acts like I should feel sorry for him -- The rest
of us work to get the bikes we have. Maybe he should realize that most
could not give a **** less what other people are riding.

-Nate

Llatikcuf wrote:
> It's true. This guy acts like I should feel sorry for him -- The rest
> of us work to get the bikes we have. Maybe he should realize that most
> could not give a **** less what other people are riding.

Please learn to quote; I for one have no idea what you're talking about.

Llatikcuf wrote:
> Bill,
>
> You seem to have figured it out.
>
> -Nate

googlegroups explains it

Llatikcuf wrote:
> This is the gayest thing I have ever heard.

C'mon, gayer than the drunk getting buggered by the dog?
I think not.

Shawn