Wheel surgery

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nick Kew, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    Help!

    I have a front wheel that no longer runs true. Specifically it has a
    big kink that is incompatible with having brakes. It seems to have
    happened when I came off last week (see "sheer stress" post).

    I've tried with a spoke spanner to adjust it, but at the kink I can
    loosen the spoke on the bulge side indefinitely and maximally tighten
    the corresponding spokes on the inside and the kink is marginally
    smaller, but still too big to be really usable.

    There is nothing visibly wrong with any of the components: the rim,
    hub and spokes all look good.

    Should this be recoverable? Any tips and tricks for when the spoke
    spanner has failed?

    --
    Nick Kew

    Alex Salmond - thank you for saying the obvious. Can you repeat what
    James VI did, for us poor sassenachs with no acceptable leaders?

    Tags:

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:

    > Help!
    >
    > I have a front wheel that no longer runs true. Specifically it has a
    > big kink that is incompatible with having brakes. It seems to have
    > happened when I came off last week (see "sheer stress" post).
    >
    > I've tried with a spoke spanner to adjust it, but at the kink I can
    > loosen the spoke on the bulge side indefinitely and maximally tighten
    > the corresponding spokes on the inside and the kink is marginally
    > smaller, but still too big to be really usable.

    How good are your truing skills? In order to straighten a bend, you
    should be adjusting the spokes some way to the side of the bend itself.

    You could try loosening all of the spokes to see how bent the rim really
    is (and try flattening it by force in the untensioned state).

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I have a front wheel that no longer runs true. Specifically it has a
    > big kink that is incompatible with having brakes. It seems to have
    > happened when I came off last week (see "sheer stress" post).
    >
    > I've tried with a spoke spanner to adjust it, but at the kink I can
    > loosen the spoke on the bulge side indefinitely and maximally tighten
    > the corresponding spokes on the inside and the kink is marginally
    > smaller, but still too big to be really usable.
    >
    > There is nothing visibly wrong with any of the components: the rim,
    > hub and spokes all look good.
    >
    > Should this be recoverable? Any tips and tricks for when the spoke
    > spanner has failed?

    It's usually not a matter of adjusting the one spoke immediately at the
    point of distortion, but of adjusting it and the two or three either
    side of it. However if it's as abrupt as you are suggesting I would
    look for a broken spoke, and if you do not find one, consider replacing
    the rim.

    Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
    ... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
    [update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    James Annan <[email protected]> writes:

    > How good are your truing skills?

    Pretty negligible (like my skills in other mechanical jobs).

    > In order to straighten a bend, you
    > should be adjusting the spokes some way to the side of the bend itself.

    Indeed, that much I'm aware of, thanks. Originally it did have a
    smaller neighbouring bulge the other way, but I managed to smooth
    out that one.

    > You could try loosening all of the spokes to see how bent the rim really
    > is (and try flattening it by force in the untensioned state).

    Hmmm, that's a thought. A rather frightening one:-(

    --
    Nick Kew

    Alex Salmond - thank you for saying the obvious. Can you repeat what
    James VI did, for us poor sassenachs with no acceptable leaders?

  5. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Nick Kew <[email protected]> said:

    > I've tried with a spoke spanner to adjust it, but at the kink I can
    > loosen the spoke on the bulge side indefinitely and maximally tighten
    > the corresponding spokes on the inside and the kink is marginally
    > smaller, but still too big to be really usable.

    Try taking the tyre off and looking at the rim. Ensure that the two edges
    run parallel to each other (and thus the bulge is caused by a bend in the
    entire rim that can be corrected by adjusting spokes). If one edge bulges
    out where the other doesn't, it's new rim time because spokes don't pull on
    the rim wall directly and so can't correct the problem.

    One of the few (only?) advantages of steel rims over alloy is that you can
    hammer such bulges out of the rim wall with the help of a body hammer and a
    piece of wood...

    Regards,

    -david

  6. "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Help!
    >
    > I have a front wheel that no longer runs true. Specifically it has a
    > big kink that is incompatible with having brakes. It seems to have
    > happened when I came off last week (see "sheer stress" post).

    Take it to someone who knows how to true wheels. (Seriously)

    Ian

  7. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    wheelsgoround wrote:
    > "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> I have a front wheel that no longer runs true. Specifically
    >> it has a big kink that is incompatible with having brakes. It seems to
    >> have happened when I came off last week (see
    >> "sheer stress" post).

    > Take it to someone who knows how to true wheels. (Seriously)

    Or learn to true it yourself it's not too hard.
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.