Wheel Type for 540km Endurance Event?

rowskein

Feb 13, 2006
Can anyone offer any advice on a good choice of wheel set for a 540km, 14000ft climbing endurance event?

Is light weight likely to be better or would Aero yield bigger savings? With weather being unpredictable, if I went for aero and there's a nasty crosswind would it be a disaster? I've being thinking about Easton Orion II's or something along those lines but worried about overlooking aero wheels as an option.

Thanks,

Keith

If you are buying only for this event, I would forgo the aero and try to reduce the weight. IMHO, aero does not help much, if at all, in climbing.

Have you ridden the course at all? 14k feet of climbing is a lot however spread out over 500 km, you may not notice it as much. If you have ridden the course, did it seem like there was a lot of hard steady climbs or just rolling? Because it is so long, I would say go with an aero wheel (ie, a carbon deep dish wheel). Lets get Alienator's opinion, he knows a lot about wheel aerodynamics and wheels in general.

Yes that's the event. I'm doing it on my own and hoping to find a group to tuck in with at a similar level to me. I did it last year with my Sister and wanted to try again on my own this year. The hills are long rolling hills. On such a long distance I'm concerned that choosing an aero wheel might leave me stuck with a lemon if the conditions weren't right. What conditions do Aero wheels work best in? I've heard that if the winds much off head on they can make life harder.

I don't think I'll be keeping up with Mr Helge Johansen :eek:

Thanks,

Keith