rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

wheel walking w/ big feet

Started by ColDawG · · Last activity · 21 posts · 987 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
8 May 2005
Last activity
10 May 2005
Original author
ColDawG
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
987
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I'm trying to learn to wheel walk on my KH '05 24" muni.
    I cannot get more than two steps w/o falling, and my feet just keep
    getting stuck
    I keep getting my heels stuck on the frame.
    Also, it feels like my feet are just too big and keep hitting each other
    between steps
    I wear 12.5s in new balance's widest width, so my feet are pretty
    large

    any suggestions from people w/ big feet? or even anybody who is good at
    wheel walking?

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  2. ColDawG said:

    *I keep getting my heels stuck on the frame.*

    I dont have big feet but i can wheel walk perfectly on my trials uni
    with bedford frame but when i try it on my 05KH muni my heels get stuck
    too. My feet go back to far and they get stuck in the noodles so i dont
    wheel walk on my muni anymore. (wow, that wasnt helpful at all)

    --
    litldude2 - Spencer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    litldude2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6134
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  3. I'm currently learning to wheel walk on the KH 05' 24'', and I don't
    have it yet, but I wear 11 1/2's and don't have that problem. I can get
    about 4-5 steps before I fall off. I don't jam my feet up against the
    frame though either, which I hear is a good way of doing it :- )

    --
    llaman - average joe muni'er

    Kansas Muni - the wizard of oz can't do this...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    llaman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9798
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  4. My feet are pretty big, but I don't have the problem you do. But I have
    a KH20, soo....
    Try not going all the way back to the frame with your feet, start your
    step further forwards. that might help.... good luck (:

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  5. I wear a size 16 and can make it more than 2 steps. I don't have the
    problem getting my heals stuck on the frame - even though that is
    exactly how I mount.

    Don't let those types of excuses creep into your brain.
    Just keep practicing.
    Recently there have been a lot of threads and videos with people making
    it look easy, but in the past, people have noted that it can take longer
    to learn to wheelwalk than ride.

    Keep trying.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  6. yeah i realized i just need to keep practicing
    ALTHOUGH i have moved back to the old torker for WW because it has a
    lower crown
    it's SO hard to do still.. i can get 2 good pedals then miss and/or fall
    on the third
    quite a challenge

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  7. While you're practicing, just think: "an 11 year old can do it...an 11
    year old can do it..."

    (wow, that was the most helpful post in the forums!)

    --
    tylercox - Level 5 Unicornist

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Learning to juggle! I need tips!

    "tyler cox i now love you" -From unicyclepa
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  8. o yeah, helpful indeed 😉
    anyways, i just need to keep workin on it, but it's raining outside and
    i don't feel like riding :eek:

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  9. Foot size should not hold you back. (I am a size 12 and can wheel walk
    a 16" wheel no problems).

    One thing that may help is to put your seat up a bit. Trials and Muni
    riders tend to ride with their seat posts low which makes wheel walking
    more difficult.

    If you watch a good freestyle rider their seat is set quite high. When
    I began freestyle I was forever being told to put my seat up higher.
    After I had put it up around 3 inches lots of things became easier to
    learn. Once you have a skill down you can gradually lower the seat if
    you wish.

    --
    peter.bier - Unicycle trasher

    -Peter Bier

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  10. yeah i tried that before i posted, i have it up to where i can stay on
    the pedal on the bottom of the pedal stroke with my leg fully extended

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  11. Another thought on seat height:

    I usually wheel walk on a 20 inch freestyle unicycle, with 125mm
    cranks.

    If I switch to my 24 inch Muni, with 170mm cranks it decreases the
    distance my seat is above the tire by at least 10cm (4 inches).

    Couple that with a wider frame and you've got a combination which will
    probably be harder to learn to wheel walk on. Not impossible, just
    harder. At least the extra tyre width should help some.

    Also remember wheel walking is a skill that takes lots of hard work and
    effort to learn. It is much harder than learning to ride in the first
    place. Don't be surprised if it takes weeks of effort to pick it up.

    --
    peter.bier - Unicycle trasher

    -Peter Bier

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  12. If your feet are getting caught on the frame it could be because your
    shoes have a heel. This happens to me if I am riding in hiking boots.

    Try using some shoes with a flat sole.

    --
    KcTheAcy - Ohh Baby

    ¤-Kaycee
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Kaycees-Unicycle-gallery

    http://www.maineunicyclist.2ya.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  13. mine are flat runners
    i think it might be the noodles on the KH frame
    as well as improper technique
    i'm trying to speed up my foot strokes and have them farther
    foreward/down on the tire, but i keep getting my feet caught on each
    other
    any tips for keeping the foot strokes going?

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  14. I have a difficult time wheel walking my 24" muni. This is due to the
    reasons that Peter mentions.

    I have to curl my legs up more and the whole weight distribution
    changes. I was playing around with wheel walking the muni after a muni
    ride yesterday and I was having problems just getting a few feet. And
    even when I got it and was able to go across the parking lot it never
    felt stable. It feels very different than my 20" freestyle uni.

    If I was going to practice wheel walking with my muni I'd have to raise
    the seat up past the point where it would be comfortable to pedal. Then
    I think the wheel walking would work better.

    There was also a problem with the fat 3" tire hindering the side to side
    corrections necessary to keep side to side balance. That also made the
    wheel walking more difficult than with my nimble 20" freestyle uni.

    Bottom line is that I'm going to have to practice wheel walking with my
    muni if I want to be able to do it with that uni.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/963jr)<<<
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  15. I've got a 20 inch freestyle and a 20 inch trials uni but several months
    ago I quit riding them both and just do everything on a 24 muni since
    that's my focus. WWing the 24 was tricky since I learned on a 20 inch.
    With your feet jacked up so high the balance is different, but doable
    with practice. I've also got big feet (13) and my heels get hung up on
    the crown if I don't consciously keep my feet down lower on the tire.

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  16. we find that when you wheel walk it is a good idea to go along a wall,
    making each push last longer. when the heel of your pushing foot
    reaches as far as it goes, start on the next foot going from toes to
    heal. if you push to quickly, you will lose control easily and fall off.
    do this along the wall, so you have time to get your balance and at the
    end of the wall see how far you can go.

    you will be able to do it in no time!🙂

    --
    amanda_and_matt
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    amanda_and_matt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9906
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  17. I've been trying to learn wheel walking too, but the "doing it along a
    wall" advice doesn't seem very helpful. It's not the left to right lean
    that I have difficultly with as much as the forward to backward lean.

    What I've been doing as an intermediate step to wheel walking is
    learning to stall with my right foot at about 8 o'clock in the back and
    my left foot on the crown and tire. This way I'm getting a feel for
    where my balance needs to be front to back, and as long as I don't pick
    up my right foot I can always start riding backwards to prevent falling
    backwards. This also keeps me from rushing through each step. I stall,
    balance, and then calmly bring my right foot up and try to start moving.
    At this point, I think I just need to smooth out the walking part and
    keep leaning back.

    --
    phlegm - skill level e
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  18. can u post a pic or vid of that? i don't quite understand that
    i just tried something new tonight
    i kept the right foot on the pedal and wheel walked 1-foot with the
    left
    i can get 3-4 pushes and feel way more on top/leaned back on the uni
    i like 1-foot better because i can avoid hittin my feet together

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  19. Riding along a wall is intended to allow you to concentrate on the
    forward-backward balance without having to deal with the steering part,
    and to go as slow as you want. First you lean the foot movements, then
    you learn to speed them up some. Don't let your feet bang into each
    other.

    As amanda_and_matt said, use your heels. You have tons of traction in
    your heels, which gives you a lot of leg extension with each step.

    I can see where the KH noodles will get in the way for wheel walking.
    They are more designed for one-footing and gliding. You just have to
    learn where your fork is and teach your feet to stay away from there.
    This was the same for us in the old days when we rode 20" wheels with
    24" forks (all that Miyata made).

    And practice. Sit up straight. You don't really have to lean back, as
    some people say. That's just what it feels like. Your upper body has to
    be far enough back to balance your legs, which will be in front of you.
    But viewed from the side, you're pretty much sitting up straight.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

  20. ColDawG said:

    *can u post a pic or vid of that? i don't quite understand that*

    Sorry, I don't have a camera of any kind. It sounds you're doing a
    similar thing with your 1-foot WW while keeping the other foot on the
    pedal.

    --
    phlegm - skill level e
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40234

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.