Wheels making my head spin

entropy

May 21, 2004
I ride a 2002 Giant OCR-3 and would like to trim a little more weight from the bike. After a new seat, tires and aerobars, I'm down to few choices. I'd like to go faster, but I won't spend the original cost of the bike in new forks. I'm over 40, 193 lbs. and would like to do a few TT's this summer.

Anyone have any replacement wheel recommendations for my stock Alexrims DR13's, that combine strength with lower weight? Yeah, and I want to win the lottery, too!

Thanks,
Entropy:)

Originally posted by entropy
I ride a 2002 Giant OCR-3 and would like to trim a little more weight from the bike. After a new seat, tires and aerobars, I'm down to few choices. I'd like to go faster, but I won't spend the original cost of the bike in new forks. I'm over 40, 193 lbs. and would like to do a few TT's this summer.

Anyone have any replacement wheel recommendations for my stock Alexrims DR13's, that combine strength with lower weight?

Just remember that the heavier you are, the less significant will be changes in static weight (e.g. frame, saddle, groupset, etc.). The aerobars are potentially significant because assuming you are positioned efficiently, they can aid in the reduction of drag. Naturally, this applies to flat courses.

A good aero wheelset would be beneficial, and if chosen carefully, should give you an improvement in all situations while offering decent reliability. You may want to consider a Zipp 404 wheelset or Corima Aero set if you want to get best all-around applicability (especially with TTs). You can sometimes find a new Zipp set on Ebay for <$1k, and Corimas can be had for just under that.

404's or Corima's on an OCR3.

Don't think so. Be better off getting a new frame with racing geometry. With the money left over just get a set of OP's on an ultegra hub.

Originally posted by ewitz
404's or Corima's on an OCR3.

Don't think so. Be better off getting a new frame with racing geometry. With the money left over just get a set of OP's on an ultegra hub.

wheels are a good place to start upgrading and saving weight if you want to go down that road

i dont see any reason why not to get some good wheels now for use on the OCR as they will no doubt make a reasonable improvement in speed from the standard Alex rims. What makes u think that a frame has to come before the wheels.......why not upgrade wheels first ewitz? Zipps would be great if u can get them at the right price or corimas for that matter. I personally prefer the corimas for lighter weight and better aero (hidden nipples) but the difference is neglible and i think that zipps with more spokes may be stronger for u anyway. Good luck finding a pair in your price range.....my advice stick with the bigger brand names Zipp, Corima, Campag, Rolf?, Bontrager?, Mavic?

I'm not sure about the specs on the stock rims, but they are probably pushing 2100g or more for the set. Zipp 404's are 1280 for the set. You will reduce your rotational weight by 1.8 pounds.

I read some transcripts where Beloki was questioned about using ada wheels...he said taking a quarter pound of rotational weight off of your bike is like taking 1 1/4lb off of your bike somewhere else.

At 14-15mph rotational weight doesn't make much difference. Push the speed up to 22+ and you will see.

Look at how many pro teams run the mavic cosmic carbone ssc rims on the flat stages of this years Giro..wheel of choice for Pettachi's pain train. That wheelset is 1800+g. The only team I see running zipp's is Phonak. Even Saeco were running Kysrium SSC's on today's mountain stage. Those are appx 1500g. But if you have ever rode Kysriums they are very very stiff.

Well good luck Entropy. There is so much equipment out there in many different price ranges. Wheelset makes the biggest difference though. I run $800 kysrium ssc's on a giant tcr aero 2...lol.