Wheels making my head spin

entropy

May 21, 2004
I ride a 2002 Giant OCR-3 and would like to trim a little more weight from the bike. After a new seat, tires and aerobars, I'm down to few choices. I'd like to go faster, but I won't spend the original cost of the bike in new forks. I'm over 40, 193 lbs. and would like to do a few TT's this summer.

Anyone have any replacement wheel recommendations for my stock Alexrims DR13's, that combine strength with lower weight? Yeah, and I want to win the lottery, too!

Thanks,
Entropy:)

Originally posted by entropy
I ride a 2002 Giant OCR-3 and would like to trim a little more weight from the bike. After a new seat, tires and aerobars, I'm down to few choices. I'd like to go faster, but I won't spend the original cost of the bike in new forks. I'm over 40, 193 lbs. and would like to do a few TT's this summer.

Anyone have any replacement wheel recommendations for my stock Alexrims DR13's, that combine strength with lower weight? Yeah, and I want to win the lottery, too!

Thanks,
Entropy:)

Yeah, your last statement helps describe the chances of inexpensive wheels making you measurably faster, stronger, lower weight. Although not impossible, it is highly unlikely.
A biodynamic fitting like that at Cronometro:
"$145 Aero Bike Biodynamic Fitting Inc, Aero Bar Position"

at

<http://www.cronometro.com/>

and some professional coaching will likely be a better investment.

Your efforts in purchasing the aerobar and learning the best position for you is where you must focus your efforts. ~60% of your aerodynamic drag comes from you.
I love to work on wheels. If you can afford a separate set of wheels for TT only, go with high profile (50 cm if you can), low spoke count. The difficulties are learning how to get the additional less than 1% efficiency out of those wheels, with their side forces due to wind and different handling abilities. This kind of wheelset tends to be as heavy as what you already have and proprietary parts.