Wheels Manufacturing Cassettes / Campy 10 drive Shimano 9 (M10) wheel

lawyering

Aug 11, 2003
I have two bikes (well three actually - but let's just talk about 2 for now):

(1) Cannondale with an Shimano Ultegra 9 set up; and

(2) Colnago with a Campy Record 10 set up.

I am looking into purchasing new (or new to me) high-end (high-end to me) wheels.

In an ideal world, I could use the new wheels on both bikes with a simple cassette swap.

The Wheels Manufacturing cassettes seem to allow this. I can use the Wheels Manufacturing 10 speed conversion cassette mounted on a Shimano (M10) freehub for the Campy bike and replace it with a Shimano 9 speed cassette for the Ultegra bike.

(See http://www.wheelsmfg.com/p_10spdconversion.html)

My questions are these:

(1) Is this correct, do I have my information straight?

(2) Does anyone have any experience with these combinations, and if so, how well has it worked?

(3) Is there any quality difference between the Wheels Manufacturing Dura Ace Cassettes and their Ultegra ones that would make them more compatible, or is it the old weight vs. wallet question?

Thank you for your input.

Originally posted by lawyering
I have two bikes (well three actually - but let's just talk about 2 for now):

(1) Cannondale with an Shimano Ultegra 9 set up; and

(2) Colnago with a Campy Record 10 set up.

I am looking into purchasing new (or new to me) high-end (high-end to me) wheels.

In an ideal world, I could use the new wheels on both bikes with a simple cassette swap.

The Wheels Manufacturing cassettes seem to allow this. I can use the Wheels Manufacturing 10 speed conversion cassette mounted on a Shimano (M10) freehub for the Campy bike and replace it with a Shimano 9 speed cassette for the Ultegra bike.

(See http://www.wheelsmfg.com/p_10spdconversion.html)

My questions are these:

(1) Is this correct, do I have my information straight?

(2) Does anyone have any experience with these combinations, and if so, how well has it worked?

(3) Is there any quality difference between the Wheels Manufacturing Dura Ace Cassettes and their Ultegra ones that would make them more compatible, or is it the old weight vs. wallet question?

1. You have your information straight.
2. I have used both the "Ultegra" and "DURA ACE" versions and they seem to work equal to stock Campy 10 speed.
3. The "DURA ACE" version uses titanium largest 3 cogs to save about 30 grams. Yes, it is the weight vs wallet issue.
You may need to adjust your rear derailer when swapping wheels on the Campy equipped bicycle as the cassette is a little closer to the inside of the drop out. Make sure the wheel you are choosing isn't on that Wheels Manufacturing says is "not compatible".
Thank you for your input.

Originally posted by daveornee

I have the Wheels Manufacturing DA cassette that I use with Campy Record 10 speed. The cassettes work fine with Campy, I've never had any problems. As for the difference between the Ultegra and DA cassettes- the only difference is weight. The DA has Ti cogs.