<[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Isn't there a distinction here that is not being made? A bicycle wheel
can be unacceptable for two basic reasons:
The distinction you are NOT addressing is : when is the wheel acceptable ?
In the absence of your two occurrences ? how long to wait ?
Quoted message said:1. Poor build quality which will become apparent almost immediately:
spokes pinging on the first ride, wheel going out of true, spokes
breaking after minimal use.
I thought I was addressing this, precisely, as the idea that one can
recommend a wheel, if the positive attributes are there, in very little
time. You are identifying the opposite of a recommendation, right ?
Quoted message said:2. Poor design or component quality: rims cracking around the spoke
holes, spokes pulling through, play developing in the bearings,
bearings wearing out, spokes pulling out of hub, sections of hub flange
detaching, rim wobbles between widely separated spokes on a
low-spoke-count wheel that cannot be corrected, etc. etc.
This is what I tried to identify as the later point - that of
DISsatisfaction, and that even when an original recommendation may have been
made, updating that info with a later developed fact is helpful in choosing
your wheels. But, the problem of this thread is that someone who was still
pleased by trouble-free wheels at 1800 miles was taken to task as not having
waited long enough, or for having made his recommendation too soon. That's
where I disagreed. Given the likely life-span of really good wheels, and
the potential to get many years of use from them, you can't really expect to
wait until they finally wear out to say that you recommend them - or not.
The chance you take in making the recommendation is that someone will take
you seriously, rely on your word, and possibly not be pleased. That's a
chance my local guy takes when he says I need this thing or that thing. And
if I am not happy (actually, this has never happened in over 5 years, since
I am in this area, and pretty loyal to the one store), then I can let him
know, and he can figure out why the exception occurred, and perhaps modify
his recommendation. But if you think it is necessary to get 50-60 thousand
miles on a set, then offer a recommendation, you better also hope that the
products remain commercially available, and not just by happenstance on eBay
or a similar source.
Quoted message said:Most of the second category of failures may not be immediately apparent
but will only arise after prolonged use. Nonetheless, they still make
a wheel unacceptable to me.
But when !? That's the issue, not the overall observation you offered.
When will you, as a wheelbuilder, recommend something ? It must be hard to
sell a first effort, right, if you haven't got a hundred thousand mile track
record to support your idea. So if folks trust you, they may even buy
something from you when you, yourself are offering it that very first time.
I could say that the Fiamme gold tubular wheels I used to race on were
troublesome, even with all the attention in the world - it didn't take more
than 3-4 races to know that. On the other hand, since I never had any
problem with the Campy Victory Stradas, do you think it is still too early
to say something good about them ? And if so, then I guess I will never be
able to "recommend" them, since I no longer ride sew-ups, and sold them to a
very happy guy in Dubai some time ago. He still likes them, still races
them, but they can't be all that good, right ?
Quoted message said:Nigel Grinter
Well-Spoken Wheels Inc.
www.wellspokenwheels.com
With due appreciation for the fact that you do business in wheelgoods, and
are a lot smarter than I am about them, how do you set up your appoach to
making recommendations ? Especially, if you decide to try a new
combination, and market that.......
--
Bonne route,
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR