Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Wheelset Purchase - Opinions / Comments Wanted

Started by kspangler · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,677 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 December 2006
Last activity
12 December 2006
Original author
kspangler
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,677
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for comments on a purhcase I'm considering. The item in question - 2007 MAVIC Ksyrium SL3 wheelset. This is an upgrade for me so I'm just looking for comments from those who have ridden the wheelset or the past models. Plus, I wouldn't mind hearing comments on MAVIC's customer service. One thing I noticed is that MAVIC doesn't offer a MAVIC customer contact point on their website (if it is there I can't find it.) I also noticed that they don't list their warranty info except their upgrade MP3 program - which costs more money. ZIPP offers all of this information plus some. I know that MAVIC has a good reputation in the PRO CYCLING arena, but how about at the ground level.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. kspangler said:

    I'm looking for comments on a purhcase I'm considering. The item in question - 2007 MAVIC Ksyrium SL3 wheelset. This is an upgrade for me so I'm just looking for comments from those who have ridden the wheelset or the past models. Plus, I wouldn't mind hearing comments on MAVIC's customer service. One thing I noticed is that MAVIC doesn't offer a MAVIC customer contact point on their website (if it is there I can't find it.) I also noticed that they don't list their warranty info except their upgrade MP3 program - which costs more money. ZIPP offers all of this information plus some. I know that MAVIC has a good reputation in the PRO CYCLING arena, but how about at the ground level.

    Thanks in advance.


    Your support comes only from authorized dealer. Know the dealer and thier support. Most of these "High Zoot" wheelsets are large profit items, so depending on the price you pay there should be some money left for the dealer to support your future service requirements.
    Mavic's reputation is checkered. Parts and special tools availability varies with model and age.

  3. kspangler said:

    I'm looking for comments on a purhcase I'm considering. The item in question - 2007 MAVIC Ksyrium SL3 wheelset. This is an upgrade for me so I'm just looking for comments from those who have ridden the wheelset or the past models. Plus, I wouldn't mind hearing comments on MAVIC's customer service. One thing I noticed is that MAVIC doesn't offer a MAVIC customer contact point on their website (if it is there I can't find it.) I also noticed that they don't list their warranty info except their upgrade MP3 program - which costs more money. ZIPP offers all of this information plus some. I know that MAVIC has a good reputation in the PRO CYCLING arena, but how about at the ground level.

    Thanks in advance.

    I'm riding the 'lowly' Ksyrium Elites, and I love them. After two years, they still don't need truing (I weigh 190). I doubt you could go wrong with the SL3's, and with any luck you won't need customer service, anyway. 🙂

  4. warnerjh said:

    I'm riding the 'lowly' Ksyrium Elites, and I love them. After two years, they still don't need truing (I weigh 190). I doubt you could go wrong with the SL3's, and with any luck you won't need customer service, anyway. 🙂

    Thanks

  5. kspangler said:

    Thanks

    I ride '06 SLs, and they're a pretty solid wheel. I bought them off my shop owner after he logged 1000 miles on them. My initial reaction is that the front is flexy as hell. When I'm sprinting, it rubs against the brake pads, so I have to open up the front caliper a decent bit. I checked the spoke tension by plucking them and they all seem to have about the same sound, so I'm assuming they're properly tensioned.

    They're pretty light and the hub quality is top notch as they roll very very well. If you're paying full price for them (around $900 I think), I believe there are much better wheels available (check out campy's wheels for example) at that price point.

    I've been told the wheels are pretty much bombproof, but I can't comment from first-hand experience as I've only logged a few hundred miles on them.

  6. I have the SL3's. They are great wheels. Light, stiff, and fast. I have not had any problems with them but my LBS will fix them if I do. They do not have to be sent in to Mavic.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.