when was the last time a team won back to back GT's?

Fred Marx

Guest
with different riders? Or is this a fairly common thing and I just didn't notice?

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > with different riders? Or is this a fairly common thing and I just didn't notice?
>
> Well, Pantani won both the Giro and the Tour in '98. Different riders?
Uh...

> -Sonarrat.

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/5038.0.html Historic double, ONCE meltdown With Sunday's
flat finale ending in downtown Madrid, Heras's imminent victory will go along with Lance Armstrong's
win at the Tour de France, giving the American team two grand-tour victories in the same season with
two riders.

While it's common for one strong man to win two grand tours in one season - Marco Pantani was the
last, winning the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France in 1998 - it's rare for a team to boast two
winning captains. The last to pull off the feat was the Renault-Gitane team in 1983, when Bernard
Hinault won the Vuelta and Laurent Fignon won the Tour.

"Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> with different riders? Or is this a fairly common thing and I just didn't notice?

An answer from velonews.com 9/27/03 :

"Russ Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> with different riders? Or is this a fairly common thing and I just didn't notice?
>>

>An answer from velonews.com 9/27/03 :
>
>"While it's common for one strong man to win two grand tours in one season - Marco Pantani was the
>last, winning the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France in 1998 - it's rare for a team to boast two
>winning captains. The last to pull off the feat was the Renault-Gitane team in 1983, when Bernard
>Hinault won the Vuelta and Laurent Fignon won the Tour."

But that was not back to back either, since the Giro was run in between Vuelta and Tour at the time.
So wheelsucker saronni with his '83 pink victory broke the Renault riders sequence, that lasted from
the previous Giro, since le blaireau won '82 Giro and Tour before taking possession of '83 Vuelta,
for a rare "non calendar Grand Slam".

Of course that wasn't back to back ....... but it was the last time two in one year with different riders.

Indurain won giro/tour two or three times in his career the same season.

When was the last time a rider rode one GT as a domestique and won another GT in the same year? Did
Fignon work for the badger in that Giro?

"PedalChick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When was the last time a rider rode one GT as a domestique and won another GT in the same year?
> Did Fignon work for the badger in that Giro?

Intersting question. I don't think so, but I am not sure.

In 1983, Renault-Elf-Cycles Gitane won:
The Vuelta (Bernard Hinault)
The Tour (Laurent Fignon)
AND The World Championships (Greg Lemond)

Could there be a US Postal sweep in 20 years later?
Armstrong (Tour), Heras (Vuelta), Hincapie (Worlds)

PedalChick <[email protected]> wrote:
> When was the last time a rider rode one GT as a domestique and won another GT in the same year?
> Did Fignon work for the badger in that Giro?

Both Fignon and Hinault participated in the 1983 Vuelta, with Hinault winning and Fignon taking 7th.
Only 10 teams entered, 100 riders total. Things were different then.

Fignon won the 4th stage, Hinault took stages 15b and 17 before his knee gave out, giving Fignon the
opportunity to win the Tour.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

rbr's keeper of obscure data.

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> PedalChick <[email protected]> wrote:
> > When was the last time a rider rode one GT as a domestique and won another GT in the same year?
> > Did Fignon work for the badger in that Giro?
>
> Both Fignon and Hinault participated in the 1983 Vuelta, with Hinault winning and Fignon taking
> 7th. Only 10 teams entered, 100 riders total. Things were different then.
>
> Fignon won the 4th stage, Hinault took stages 15b and 17 before his knee gave out, giving Fignon
> the opportunity to win the Tour.

Fignon definitely worked for Hinault, in that Vuelta. Several times, the Badger was pushed around by
Gorospe, Lejaretta et al, but Fignon wa always there to help. In the last stage, Hinault was even
dropped on the not so steep Navacerrada climb, and Fignon towed him back. At the time, Hinault
already was in a permanent row with their DS Guimard, but this didn't affect Fignon's loyalty. Not
that I remember these things personnally, but I have the Fignon bio by JP Ollivier.

greets Alexander

---