Where are the women on bikes in Melb?

coowoowoo

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB?
And where are all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs??
Do they exist? Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed?
Can anyone help me here as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

Originally posted by coowoowoo
Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB?
And where are all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs??
Do they exist? Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed?
Can anyone help me here as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

Cheer up, I'm here around the inner eastern suburbs, 35+, have many different bikes (tourer/mtb/ss/bmx + more), lifestyle based around bikes and bike related stuff. As for blokes with fuzzy legs, go off road to MTB Land. From a ladies perspective, the lads can shave their legs if they like, but I really don't care.
I prefer a bloke that looks like a bloke with hairy legs.:D :D

Originally posted by coowoowoo
Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB?
And where are all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs??
Do they exist? Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed?
Can anyone help me here as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

coowoowoo> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of
coowoowoo> women 30+ on bikes in melbourne?

I see a few on Nepean Highway between Highett and the CBD
most mornings.

coowoowoo> And where are all the men riding bikes with
coowoowoo> hair on their legs?? Do they exist?

Nepean Highway most days, sometimes East Boundary, North
Road, Springvale if working in Burwood.

coowoowoo> Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being
coowoowoo> ridiculed? Can anyone help me here as i
coowoowoo> really want to know why men feel the need
coowoowoo> the wax their legs..

Lessee, got nicks, shoes and helmet. No waxing and the rest
of my attire is daggy as.

#1 haircut 'cause I'm lazy and hate brushing my hair ;-)
--
Regards Euan

jazmo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> coowoowoo wrote:
> > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women
> > 30+ on bikes in melbourne? I am talking about the ones
> > (like me) who dont have the time or inclination to
> > buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
> > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a
> > MTB? And where are all the men riding bikes with hair
> > on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do they shun beach
> > rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me
> > here as i really want to know why men feel the need
> > the wax their legs..
>

> I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I
> have hairy legs.

I had hairy legs for years until I took up racing and a few
months later gone. Peer pressure, desire to fit in etc.
Stupid aint it ? I never thought I'd be a sucker for that
stuff, never smoked in my life, but their ya go !!

I will not hesitate to say I'm hairless for no other reason
that is it the standard look. Any other reasons, FOS for
chumps like me.

Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a slave to the roadbike.
I also agree that a man should look like a man and have hair on their legs.
There is something wrong when i pull up to the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man next to me.

> I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I
> have hairy legs.

I had hairy legs for years until I took up racing and a few
months later gone. Peer pressure, desire to fit in etc.
Stupid aint it ? I never thought I'd be a sucker for that
stuff, never smoked in my life, but their ya go !!

I will not hesitate to say I'm hairless for no other reason
that is it the standard look. Any other reasons, FOS for
chumps like me.

Peer pressure.. hahaha.. do they make you smoke as well??
So does it make you ride faster??????

Originally posted by jazmo
I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

Do you ride in a bunch and do the other boys ridicule you and make you go to the back of the line?? Do men actually discuss what wax is best to use? Now that is something that i would like to hear.
:D

My wife is 40 and commutes on her MTB to the CBD from
Ivanhoe most days. Interesting thing is she's not at all the
'sporty type' but sees it as a sensible way to maintain
health and keep the kilos at bay. Commuting is 'gotta do'
time so why not use it to keep fit rather than have to find
'extra time' to go to the gym or jog? She was never
interested in cycling until she finally gave in and came on
the Great Melbourne Bike Ride - from there she's graduated
to commuting and a few recreational rides down the Yarra to
lunch at South Bank with me (although she has no interest in
riding by herself for leisure).

"coowoowoo" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on
> bikes in melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me)
> who dont have the time or inclination to buy/look after a
> road bike but are more than capable of riding a decent
> distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are all
> the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they
> exist? Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being
> ridiculed? Can anyone help me here as i really want to
> know why men feel the need the wax their legs..
>

> --

Originally posted by jazmo
I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!

as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the business end of the Bod

I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy legs:D :D :D

As for women, I was really surprised how few were at the crits I did. I know a few strong female riders but they are certainly few and far between. the lack of gal commuters is rather low too...

coowoowoo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I
> > have hairy legs.
>snip

> Peer pressure.. hahaha.. do they make you smoke as well??
> So does it make you ride faster??????

nope and nope.

coowoowoo wrote:

> Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around
> that isnt a slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a
> man should look like a man and have hair on their legs.
> There is something wrong when i pull up to the lights and
> look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
> next to me.
>
> --

I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for
everyone to have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-
legged women and supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25
deg C in Brisbane and I reckon I'll buy me a set soon...

Tamyka

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> coowoowoo wrote:
>
>>Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around
>>that isnt a slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a
>>man should look like a man and have hair on their legs.
>>There is something wrong when i pull up to the lights and
>>look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
>>next to me.
>>
>>--
>

> I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne
> for everyone to have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-
> legged women and supple-skinned men). It's slipped
> below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I reckon I'll buy me a
> set soon...
>
> Tamyka

No way, I commuted all last winter in Melb with no longs
(of course the hair on my legs almost makes up for them).
It only hurts for the first km which is all downhill, after
that I heat up real quick, but I think that's just genetics
(my Dad always wore shorts and T-shirt even in the middle
of winter)

Dave B.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]

[...]

> I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have
> hairy legs!
>
> as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i
> havent had any deep and Meaninful discussions about much
> at all let alone down at the business end of the Bod
>
> I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my
> big hairy legs:D :D :D

I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do
Not Like It. For some reason they always pass me back by
going through the red light I've stopped for.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne
> for everyone to have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-
> legged women and supple-skinned men). It's slipped
> below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I reckon I'll buy me a
> set soon...

Maximum temperatures in Melbourne these days are around the
17° to 20° mark. That's just cool enough for me to wonder
when I go out for a ride whether it's not a tad too cool for
nix, which in practice means it's exactly right because I'm
as warm as when I get back. It's my upper body which needs
attention. It's starting to get too cool for vests or
sleeveless T-shirts.

--

A: Top-posters.

flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> jazmo wrote:
> > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I
> > have hairy legs.
>

> I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have
> hairy legs!

then you only race D grade, or maybe C. Nothing wrong with
that but there is no hairy leg people in B or A grade. Well,
none that do any good.

> as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i
> havent had any deep and Meaninful discussions about much
> at all let alone down at the business end of the Bod
>
> I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my
> big hairy legs:D :D :D

What a strange comment.

[snip]

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:p[email protected]
>
> [...]
>
> > I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I
> > have hairy legs!
> >
> > as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i
> > havent had any deep and Meaninful discussions about much
> > at all let alone down at the business end of the Bod
> >
> > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my
> > big hairy legs:D :D :D
>
> I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do
> Not Like It. For some reason they always pass me back by
> going through the red light I've stopped for.

Another strange comment. Fark, my old mazda 626 once
passed a Porshe
911. I and my Mazda ROCK !!

rickster wrote:

> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:p[email protected]
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with
> > > my big hairy legs:D :D :D
> >
> > I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they
> > Do Not Like It. For some reason they always pass me back
> > by going through the red light I've stopped for.
>
> Another strange comment. Fark, my old mazda 626 once
> passed a Porshe
> 911. I and my Mazda ROCK !!

Yep, people on hybrids and mtb's pass me often. Usually they
are working a lot harder than me (not always). It really
doesn't bother me. The mtb riders look funny if you stick
'em on a road bike.

Once a guy in sandals passed me and I found that one a
little upsetting but later I saw him unclip and clip in
again. Didn't know you could get plugger-cleats. Has anyone
seen them in a shop or were they custom (home) made?

I don't like it when people race past you (driving or
cycling) on a flat or up a hill but then can't handle
corners at speed, and cut you off, etc.

______________________________________

Tamyka Bell, PhD Student School of Human Movement Studies
The University Of Queensland
w: +61-7-33656105
x: +61-4-00782972
y: [email protected]
______________________________________

Originally posted by Daveb
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> coowoowoo wrote:
>
>>Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around
>>that isnt a slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a
>>man should look like a man and have hair on their legs.
>>There is something wrong when i pull up to the lights and
>>look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
>>next to me.
>>
>>--
>

> I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne
> for everyone to have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-
> legged women and supple-skinned men). It's slipped
> below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I reckon I'll buy me a
> set soon...
>
> Tamyka

No way, I commuted all last winter in Melb with no longs
(of course the hair on my legs almost makes up for them).
It only hurts for the first km which is all downhill, after
that I heat up real quick, but I think that's just genetics
(my Dad always wore shorts and T-shirt even in the middle
of winter)

Dave B.

Hi again
I am still being ambitious and am riding to work in the mid thigh nix but agree with dave.The sleeves are coming out and the gloves are back on..

Originally posted by coowoowoo
Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB?
And where are all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs??
Do they exist? Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed?
Can anyone help me here as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

Many things in our current lifestyle can be questioned. Why male cyclists, mostly roadies, shave their legs does not need to have a substantial reason. Or there may be reasons. But what's the difference? Shaving body hair is not limited to cycling. I tend to think those sports that draw attention to the body of performer tend to call for clean skins, but that's me.

Many norms have formed over time, and it's our inclination not to go against them when there's no need to. I can extend your question to why do public servants and such wear suits? Why magistrates and attorneys wear wigs? Why women shave their panty lines (wow I think I know the answer to this one)? Why builders wear shorts that show their cracks? Why there is always Ford vs Holden in OZ? Why we hold the knife with right hand and fork with the other (or am I confused)? Why there are 26 letters in English alphabet?

And BTW, I haven't shaved for a while, so the hair on my legs is not too short and too long, just in between. Should I ride a hybrid then??? ;)