Where can I get a cassette with a 14 low (junior gearing)

Travis44

Jul 28, 2007
yea where can I get one? I start racing this year in the junior 17-18 category, and getting disqualified for using blocked gears isn't my idea of a good time ( my cassette is a 13-23). Also: I ride a 14 speed, is it possible to get a 7 speed cassette with a 14 low?, preferably a 14-26?

Travis44 said:
yea where can I get one? I start racing this year in the junior 17-18 category, and getting disqualified for using blocked gears isn't my idea of a good time ( my cassette is a 13-23). Also: I ride a 14 speed, is it possible to get a 7 speed cassette with a 14 low?, preferably a 14-26?
7-speed & 8-speed spacing is almost the same ...

So, if you get an 8-speed Shimano 13-26/[13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26] cassette, you should be able to simply start with the 14t (presuming you don't have a freehub where the smallest cog is threaded on rather than having one with a lockring) ... and, put the 13t in your "toolbox" for use at a future date.

Of course, you can stack a spacer from another cassette on the spoke end of the cassette OR adjacent to the lockring ... I would also stack an extra cog on the spoke end of the cassette if I couldn't find an appropriately thin spacer to substitute for the 8th cog.

BTW. The "recent" ACERA freehub body is shorter & designed for a 7-speed cassette while using the "standard" Shimano lockring.

It may be hard to find a 7 speed cassette with junior gearing. I was a junior last year and unless you're going to nationals, you can just block out the 13t cog and not get DQ'ed. Good luck with the 14t cog, I'm so happy to be 19 and using a 53x11 setup:D

Travis44 said:
If this is a 7 speed spin-on Freewheel, then Shimano make a 14-28. ;)