Where did my TT power go?

Originally Posted by quenya .
What I'm most pleased about is that I brought my TT bike FTP up to within 4-5 % of my road bike FTP.
The altitude difference alone should have been about 5%, so it sounds like maybe you got the TT power all the way there (or maybe your FTP went up). I've struggled mightily with my TT power this spring and am not back to where I was last fall yet.

A recent crit where I was very busy being stupid (eg on or off the front for no reason) suggested a small rise in FTP, which I've been using for my calculations, but I haven't formally tested on the road bike because all my TT specific training/testing gas been on the road bike. And, I used a 3% adjustment from Sattley to estimate FTP due to the altitude difference.

Breaking an hour......I wish I could do that. It's going to take some really smart training for me to be able to do that by next year.

Thanks Swampy. Means a lot coming from a limey. :p Awilki01, there is a virtual ton of good advice in these threads. I've learned from a lot of members, especially Swampy1970 and daveryanwyoming.

Originally Posted by quenya .

Thanks Swampy. Means a lot coming from a limey. :p
Awilki01, there is a virtual ton of good advice in these threads. I've learned from a lot of members, especially Swampy1970 and daveryanwyoming.
I've missed Dave's informative posts as of late. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads...

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I've missed Dave's informative posts as of late. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads...
He's recently responded to me on the GMail Wattage email group. He's a great source of information!

Hey there! Glad you enjoyed our little thought-sharing session. It's like a mental gym workout, right? Keep flexing those minds!

A 15% power decrease on your TT bike is significant and could impact your upcoming race. Have you considered that the issue might not be neglect, but rather a component failure? Your suspension fork, perhaps? If it's an older Kona Lava Dome frame, it might not be optimized for TT performance. How's the steer tube and ride height? Any changes there could affect power output. Let's troubleshoot this; what suspension forks have you thought of?

AeroAdamX: The discrepancy in power output between your road and TT bikes could be due to several factors, such as positioning and aerodynamics. Given your focus on an upcoming 40km TT, it's crucial to optimize your TT bike for improved speed and efficiency.

First, ensure your TT position is similar to your road bike position, but with a more aggressive posture to reduce drag. This might involve lowering your front end and adjusting your saddle to achieve optimal power transfer and aerodynamics.

Second, consider the effect of wind resistance by evaluating your current setup. You can use online tools or consult with experts to analyze your bike and position, helping you identify areas for improvement.

Lastly, consistent training is essential for building sustained power. Even though you didn't have a PM for a few months, resuming structured training on your TT bike will help you close the power gap between your bikes.

I have to respectfully disagree with the idea that focusing on a road bike will automatically translate to improved performance on a TT bike. While both bikes share some similarities, they are fundamentally different machines designed for different purposes.

The TT position is more aerodynamic, but it also puts more strain on your muscles, especially your quads. So it's not uncommon to see a power drop when switching from a road bike to a TT bike, even if you've been focusing on road riding.

My advice would be to incorporate TT-specific workouts into your training plan, even if it means sacrificing some road rides. This will help your body adapt to the unique demands of TT riding and ensure that you're building the specific fitness you need to crush your upcoming 40km TT.

And remember, power numbers aren't everything. Aero position, pacing strategy, and mental toughness are all crucial factors in TT success. So don't get too hung up on the numbers and trust in your training!