Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

where do the old road bikes go?

Started by Crescentius Vespasianus · · Last activity · 55 posts · 1,878 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 May 2006
Last activity
30 May 2006
Original author
Crescentius Vespasianus
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,878
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?

  2. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?


    I get the feeling that they are turned into commuters, given away or
    sold off.

    Ken
    --
    New cycling jersey: $49
    new cycling shorts: $39
    Not being a slave to the petrol pump: priceless.

  3. They go to the "invisible" riders- dishwashers and the like

  4. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene.

    1) Lot's of folks buy an expensive bike and then lose interest in
    riding after a few years.

    2) Some people buy a new bike every couple of years, thinking it will
    make a big difference.

    3) The more modern and cutting edge the bike is, the sooner it will be
    replaced.

    In each case, the old bike sits forgotten in the basement or garage, or
    sold cheaply to someone who doesn't ride it.

    Art "been riding the same frame for 22 years" Harris

  5. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?

    Makes sense that people would ride their best bike at a century or
    similar event; I suspect your observation is a trifle overstated though.
    Old bikes make great foul weather bikes and that makes your best bike
    easier to keep clean.

    http://tinyurl.com/qlmy4

  6. Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:

    <snipped>

    -on remaining au courant-

    Quoted message said:

    I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century.

    There is only one solution for this problem: buy! buy! buy! The more
    often the better!

  7. local lbs sez most new bikes go unlubed toward ruin within a year
    expensive used bikes are shipped of to Newton, Palm Beach,
    Oceanside..."collectors"
    costs for redoing the old pipe run up over $400
    wal sells a unghnngung perfectly good new mid size bike - the avalon
    -for $100
    a dirt bike for $75
    i ride one - '87 raleigh - from S.F. down from Oregon over here to
    SWFLA
    also see them in passing - taking the hubs apart -last used (moved) @
    1936
    try the bike shop in West Palm Beach on military trail, try top income
    levels/areas/towns search then finda bike shop-email
    i parked with a new equiped Catrike today - nice - if you enjoy dogshit

  8. "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older
    than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My
    bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying
    frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?


    My 'ancient' '99 Giant TCR has become my TT bike (funny handlebars and all).
    My '91 Dawes Monstrosity is on the turbo. I'm just in the process of
    getting a new 'best' road bike. Must purchase... Must purchase... Anyone
    would think that bike companies are businesses!

    Skippy
    E&OE

  9. We end up with quite a few bikes like this at Bikes4Tykes.

    Our primary goal is to fix up and re-cycle kids bikes but, along the
    way, quite a few people give us adult bikes along with their kid's
    bikes.

    Often we find someone who is down on their luck, or an industrious
    immigrant, who will gladly take one and use it.

    Lewis.

    *****

  10. Art Harris said:


    3) The more modern and cutting edge the bike is, the sooner it will be
    replaced.


    Reminds me of what an L.A. caterer said to me, "The larger the ice
    sculpture, the shorter the marriage".

    -paul

  11. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    .... But where did all those bikes go?

    They end up at my house. I own 14 bikes, all but two are old 70s, 80s
    or early 90s. I got them for free or next to nothing and, since I have
    a well stocked parts bin, it usually costs less than $100 to fix up.
    All the old bikes were quality rides in their day (and still are
    today).

    I ride 6-10K miles per year so it's not like these bikes just hang in
    the garage.

    Tom

  12. email hidden said:
    Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    .... But where did all those bikes go?

    They end up at my house. I own 14 bikes, all but two are old 70s, 80s
    or early 90s. I got them for free or next to nothing and, since I have
    a well stocked parts bin, it usually costs less than $100 to fix up.
    All the old bikes were quality rides in their day (and still are
    today).

    I ride 6-10K miles per year so it's not like these bikes just hang in
    the garage.

    Tom

    Dear Tom,

    Hmmm . . .

    Sorry to quibble, but unless you routinely ride more than
    one bike every day, each of your 14 bikes spends more than
    11 months of the year idle, averaging from 500 to 700 miles
    per year.

    It does, however, sound like a perfectly sensible scheme for
    reducing wear and maintenance that I'm sure will appeal to
    many RBT posters, who should thank you for arming them
    against dubious spouses with an irrefutable argument that
    more bicycles actually cost less in the long run.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  13. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?

    Many are retained as a backup "just in case". The rest either went
    into a basement, a corner of a garage, the hands of someone who isn't
    riding with groups of new-bike owners, or some such. I keep waiting
    for late-'90s bikes to start showing up at the thrift stores, but so
    far it's just not happening.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  14. Art Harris said:

    Art "been riding the same frame for 22 years" Harris

    Only 22 years? You fickle slave to fashion!

    The bike I just rode home from work had it's frame built in 1972.

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    .. . . . .

    Confession: My favorite bike is a lot newer. It's a 1986 model.

    More serious confession: Just yesterday, I gave out the credit card
    number for a matching pair of Bike Fridays.

    - Frank Krygowski

  15. Quoted message said:

    They go to the "invisible" riders- dishwashers and the like

    No, not really. The vast majoriey of their bikes I've looked (in the
    No. Cal area)at were newish (<5yrs) Huffy & simular.

    I understand what you mean by "the invisivle". I've had the same
    thought for years. I've been amazed by how almost invisiblely they ride
    to & from work. Often on the sidewalk. I think it may be because of low
    speeds & drab clothing. I'm not making these coments as pro or anti
    illegal alien.

    Just my observations, John

  16. Paul Cassel said:

    Reminds me of what an L.A. caterer said to me, "The larger the ice
    sculpture, the shorter the marriage".

    LOL. I have no idea if it's true, but it sounds right.

    Regards. John

  17. "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes
    older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal
    decaled Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was
    all you saw. Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local
    bike scene. My bikes date from the late 90's and an early 21st
    century bike, but I fear I may begin to look like a fossil as my Giro
    pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy as of turn of the century. But
    where did all those bikes go?

    I pass a scrap metal yard along my daily commute, I often see bikes
    tossed in the pickup loads of scrap brought in by the metal scavengers.
    I always want to stop and rescue the bikes but it is just not feasable.
    It makes me sad to see someome's noble steed meet with such a demise.

    Rich

  18. Richard B said:

    "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes
    older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal
    decaled Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was
    all you saw. Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local
    bike scene. My bikes date from the late 90's and an early 21st
    century bike, but I fear I may begin to look like a fossil as my Giro
    pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy as of turn of the century. But
    where did all those bikes go?

    I pass a scrap metal yard along my daily commute, I often see bikes
    tossed in the pickup loads of scrap brought in by the metal scavengers.
    I always want to stop and rescue the bikes but it is just not feasable.
    It makes me sad to see someome's noble steed meet with such a demise.

    Rich

    Dear Rich,

    Console yourself that this daily sight is much less fuss
    than learning the same lesson by working in a pawn shop.

    You're getting an education in what things are really worth.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  19. Crescentius Vespasianus said:

    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?

    Here in the Portland, Oregon area, a lot are donated to the Community
    Cycling Center or Citybikes Co-Op, reconditioned, and resold. The CCC's
    "Create A Commuter" program puts low-cost transport within the reach of
    anybody who needs it. Their Holiday Bike Drive
    (http://communitycyclingcenter.org/holiday.html) recycles scads of
    kids' bikes, which are given away in December.

    I have a Schwinn Le Tour frame that I bought from Citybikes in my
    garage. I'm resurrecting it as a 3-speed town bike.

    Jeff

  20. Crescentius Vespasianus said:


    At large mass rides, and group rides, I've noticed that bikes older than
    5 years seem to have disappeared from the scene. Even the postal decaled
    Trek 5200, is become rare to see, when at one time that was all you saw.
    Bikes of the late 90's are almost gone from the local bike scene. My bikes
    date from the late 90's and an early 21st century bike, but I fear I may
    begin to look like a fossil as my Giro pneumo dates my latest buying frenzy
    as of turn of the century. But where did all those bikes go?

    You ride with weenies.

    Lugged frames with horizontal dropouts, often converted to fixed gear,
    are the hot item here in central Seattle. There are lots of them--
    uncanny numbers of hipsters on fixies and on original condition
    ten-speeds from the pre-aero-lever days.

    Chalo

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.