Commuting and Road Safety · Public discussion

Where do you carry your pepper spray?

Started by garyj · · Last activity · 9 posts · 2,329 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Commuting and Road Safety
Published
3 May 2007
Last activity
25 May 2007
Original author
garyj
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,329
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've not had to use it yet, and I don't really want to, but before I purchased pepper spray I had two dogs really come close to having me for lunch - or maybe it was just sport for them. Anyway, after that experience I ordered a can of spray. I also ride in areas where mountain lions have been spotted, but I realize I've got better odds of winning the lottery than being attacked by one of them.

    My experience is that I need to have it close at hand to make it useful. Anyone else carry the stuff and how. I was not able to find any brackets or holders for the bike. I have a case to clip on my belt, but I feel by the time I get it out the dog (or worse case, mountain lion) would be dragging me to the lunch table.

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

  2. garyj said:

    I've not had to use it yet, and I don't really want to, but before I purchased pepper spray I had two dogs really come close to having me for lunch - or maybe it was just sport for them. Anyway, after that experience I ordered a can of spray. I also ride in areas where mountain lions have been spotted, but I realize I've got better odds of winning the lottery than being attacked by one of them.

    My experience is that I need to have it close at hand to make it useful. Anyone else carry the stuff and how. I was not able to find any brackets or holders for the bike. I have a case to clip on my belt, but I feel by the time I get it out the dog (or worse case, mountain lion) would be dragging me to the lunch table.

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    I don't carry it, but I know some guys who do. I had three instances in four years with dogs. No bites, but close calls. The one instances I was riding with a guy who used the spray. As soon as the dog saw him pull the container from his handlebar bracket it ran the other way. Now the interesting thing about that story was the guy actually sprayed the running dog. Well, that wasn't too smart because he was moving at the time and the spray blew right back on him. So, the dog won.

  3. I carry it in the back of my jersey on the road bike and in my pants pocket on the mountain bike.

    Getting to the spray is usually not a problem because it's already out and in my hand in anticipation of one or two dogs on a given route.

    I use it. It works! More often then not the dog remembers and doesn't bother me a second time. 😄

  4. I wonder how many individuals have actually been bitten by a dog while riding a bicycle? The conventional wisdom from a motorcycle magazine years ago was to maintain a constant speed until the dog lost interest because some dogs like to put their head near your wheel. This way they don't misjudge and you don't run them over. This could be the biggest problem on a bicycle not just for the dog, but for you, as it could preciptate a crash. I tend to do this on the bicycle, but it is a rare occasion when a dog ever chases me, and I've never been bitten. For this reason I don't carry pepper spray.

    I'm going to start a thread on Bicycle Cafe to see if I can find people who've been attacked and actually bitten. I hope you check in.

  5. p38lightning said:

    I wonder how many individuals have actually been bitten by a dog while riding a bicycle? The conventional wisdom from a motorcycle magazine years ago was to maintain a constant speed until the dog lost interest because some dogs like to put their head near your wheel. This way they don't misjudge and you don't run them over. This could be the biggest problem on a bicycle not just for the dog, but for you, as it could preciptate a crash. I tend to do this on the bicycle, but it is a rare occasion when a dog ever chases me, and I've never been bitten. For this reason I don't carry pepper spray.

    I'm going to start a thread on Bicycle Cafe to see if I can find people who've been attacked and actually bitten. I hope you check in.


    I think you are right. But I have two dogs on my route (both running route and riding route)who are a pain in the rear. One - a pit bull - actually backed me and my wife into a corner. I sprayed both dogs and they have not bothered me again. Also, on a motorcycle I am going (or can go) quite a bit faster. I don't want to mess with spray. If I am going up hill on my bicycle there are several dogs in the neighborhood that can catch me. 🙁

  6. p38lightning said:

    I wonder how many individuals have actually been bitten by a dog while riding a bicycle? The conventional wisdom from a motorcycle magazine years ago was to maintain a constant speed until the dog lost interest because some dogs like to put their head near your wheel. This way they don't misjudge and you don't run them over. This could be the biggest problem on a bicycle not just for the dog, but for you, as it could preciptate a crash. I tend to do this on the bicycle, but it is a rare occasion when a dog ever chases me, and I've never been bitten. For this reason I don't carry pepper spray.

    I'm going to start a thread on Bicycle Cafe to see if I can find people who've been attacked and actually bitten. I hope you check in.

    I was chased and knocked over once, unable to escape due to an oncoming intersection. I had to kick and punch to keep from being bit. The dog ran away. The cop didn't charge the owner but he's kept his dog inside for four years now.

    Another time I was chased by a dog with its ears back, teeth bared, growling but not barking. I had the pepper that time; he seemed to catch a whiff and lose all enthusiasm as opposed to getting the full blast.

    There are no bad dogs only bad owners; make sure you report them.

    To answer the OP I carry the spray clipped to my pocket if riding in jeans; inside the pocket but with the top exposed. If in cycling clothes I carry it clipped to one of the back pockets of a jersey where it's easy to reach. In the winter, I keep it tucked in my waistband or neck scarf to keep it warm because it's completely useless if too cold to spray far.

  7. gfspencer said:

    I think you are right. But I have two dogs on my route (both running route and riding route)who are a pain in the rear. One - a pit bull - actually backed me and my wife into a corner. I sprayed both dogs and they have not bothered me again. Also, on a motorcycle I am going (or can go) quite a bit faster. I don't want to mess with spray. If I am going up hill on my bicycle there are several dogs in the neighborhood that can catch me. 🙁

    Call the cops.

  8. garage sale GT said:

    Call the cops.


    As a matter of fact I did. I was told by the police department that I was within my rights to take any measures that I needed to protect myself and my wife. AND the police came out and issued a written warning to the dog owner. A few months later the dog owner took his dog and moved. 😄

  9. I carry a 4oz can of Freeze +P on my frame. I had an extra frame pump holder, used the two straps together to strap in the can. It's a bit larger than the holder allows, but the brackets stretch out, and it's right there with a pull of the velcro. Upon reading this tread, I was struck with the idea of buying a police spray can holster and attaching that to the top tube with zipties. Might be a better way to go.

    I haven't had to use it on dogs or people, but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. BTW, Freeze + P is what local law enforcment carry around here, and it's POTENT stuff... found that out on a test fire into a breeze I didn't realize was there.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.