Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Where do you point your saddle?

Started by Mule · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,385 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
19 August 2003
Last activity
21 August 2003
Original author
Mule
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,385
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Tom "raise your bars, lower your saddle, and smile" Purvis

    Thanks for that Tom. I've lately been thinking exactly the same as you. I have shorter arms than
    average. I know this because whenever I buy an "average" long-sleeved shirt, it's usually too long
    by up to 2 inches.

    I feel that I have to stretch to the bars. If I lower the saddle, my legs are bent. If I raise it
    there is no way I can have the seat in a horizontal position.

    I think you've found a cure for me.

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  2. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Corvus Corvax" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (JD) wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Was that a typo, enema?

    As usual, you manage to flush out the truth, Jer.

    OK, bottom line it for us. Can we loosen things up? Wipe the slate


    clean?

    Quoted message said:

    Or is this group goin' down the crapper?

    Bill "moving on now" S.

    Aren't you just flushed with pride for that one. ;^)

    Mike

  3. "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Corvus Corvax" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (JD) wrote
    >
    > Was that a typo, enema?

    As usual, you manage to flush out the truth, Jer.

    OK, bottom line it for us. Can we loosen things up? Wipe the slate


    clean?

    Quoted message said:

    Or is this group goin' down the crapper?

    Bill "moving on now" S.

    Aren't you just flushed with pride for that one. ;^)

    Bzzzzzt! Corvus already used 'flush'. NO PUN FOR YOU! COME BACK...ONE YEAR!

    Bill "now go sit on a stool in the corner" S.

  4. mule <[email hidden]> spoke thusly...

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed from my rides with friends, from pictures from magazines and from various websites
    that a lot of people (mainly men, I think) have their saddle noses pointed upwards.

    i hope my website didn't influence this thought in anyway. i had not yet adjusted the saddle to fit
    when the picture was taken. ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    The only reason I can think that anyone would want to do this is that it could be good for DH?
    (Which is why I don't understand my friend because we ride uphill, downhill, flat...)

    Does anyone else do this and what does it do for you? I've tried it but find it very
    uncomfortable.

    I can only seem to ride with the saddle pointed down - maybe 20deg from horizontal - though I have
    to live with the consequences of pressure on my wrists.

    i have to balance mine front and back. tipped too far up, and the bits go numb. too far down and it
    puts too much weight on my arms, and they fatigue quickly. balanced just right, and it works out
    perfectly. on flat and level terrain anyway, my saddle has too much traction so as i bounce around a
    bit on bumps, i lose my position on the saddle and it gets uncomfortable. but then, being that the
    saddle doesn't fit exactly has a lot to do with that, i'm sure.

    in the end, the saddle is about level, maybe just a bit tipped up.
    --
    ~Travis

    megalink.net~farmers

  5. "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Corvus Corvax" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    > [email hidden] (JD) wrote
    > >
    > > Was that a typo, enema?
    >
    > As usual, you manage to flush out the truth, Jer.

    OK, bottom line it for us. Can we loosen things up? Wipe the slate


    clean?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Or is this group goin' down the crapper?

    Bill "moving on now" S.

    Aren't you just flushed with pride for that one. ;^)

    Bzzzzzt! Corvus already used 'flush'. NO PUN FOR YOU! COME BACK...ONE YEAR!

    Bill "now go sit on a stool in the corner" S.

    That's a load of [censored]. Corvus is no more a hemorroid on this NG than any other poster, so quit being
    so anal, Bill.

    My god, what an ass.

    Spider, plunging for more ideas on a thread perfectly suited for Sorni...

  6. Quoted message said:

    i hope my website didn't influence this thought in anyway. i had not yet adjusted the saddle to
    fit when the picture was taken. ;-)

    It's ok, it wasn't your website - though in fact I don't think I've even seen your website?

    One of my riding friends has his tipped up. One of my ex-riding friends (now back in the USA) also
    has his tipped up. Plus I've seen them like that in magazines too.

    Quoted message said:

    i have to balance mine front and back. tipped too far up, and the bits go numb. too far down and
    it puts too much weight on my arms, and they fatigue quickly. balanced just right, and it works
    out perfectly. on flat and level terrain anyway, my saddle has too much traction so as i bounce
    around a bit on bumps, i lose my position on the saddle and it gets uncomfortable. but then, being
    that the saddle doesn't fit exactly has a lot to do with that, i'm sure.

    in the end, the saddle is about level, maybe just a bit tipped up.

    I have a feeling my problem could have a lot to do with my reach to the handlebar. I need to do
    more investigation. Even after long rides it's difficult to diagnose any problems correctly. I've
    always attributed saddle discomfort to the saddle itself but my latest thoughts are that it might
    not be so...

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  7. "Spider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Michael Dart" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Sorni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Corvus Corvax" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > "]news:[email hidden]...
    > > [email hidden] (JD) wrote
    > > >
    > > > Was that a typo, enema?
    > >
    > > As usual, you manage to flush out the truth, Jer.
    >
    > OK, bottom line it for us. Can we loosen things up? Wipe the slate


    clean?

    Quoted message said:

    > Or is this group goin' down the crapper?
    >
    > Bill "moving on now" S.
    >
    >

    Aren't you just flushed with pride for that one. ;^)

    Bzzzzzt! Corvus already used 'flush'. NO PUN FOR YOU! COME BACK...ONE YEAR!

    Bill "now go sit on a stool in the corner" S.

    That's a load of [censored]. Corvus is no more a hemorroid on this NG than any other poster, so quit
    being so anal, Bill.

    My god, what an ass.

    Spider, plunging for more ideas on a thread perfectly suited for Sorni...

    I ass-umed you were more familiar with plugs than plungers. (Butt then that was a DIFFERENT thread,
    wasn't it?)

    Intestines all in a knot, Fortitudinal Bill

    (If we start getting into ballcocks and diaphragms, I'm circling the bowl!)

  8. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    One of my riding friends has his tipped up. One of my ex-riding friends (now back in the USA) also
    has his tipped up. Plus I've seen them like that in magazines too.

    I was watching some sort of BMX competition on cable last week and noticed all the riders had their
    saddles tipped *way* up...then I noticed a similar thing on pix of a few downhill bikes in a mag.

    My thought was that in situations when there's danger of your butt slamming into the saddle really
    hard, maybe it's better if the saddle is tilted enough so the force is dissapated somewhat as you
    slide off the back.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  9. (Pete Cresswell) <[email hidden]> spoke thusly...

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    One of my riding friends has his tipped up. One of my ex-riding friends (now back in the USA)
    also has his tipped up. Plus I've seen them like that in magazines too.

    I was watching some sort of BMX competition on cable last week and noticed all the riders had
    their saddles tipped *way* up...then I noticed a similar thing on pix of a few downhill bikes
    in a mag.

    My thought was that in situations when there's danger of your butt slamming into the saddle really
    hard, maybe it's better if the saddle is tilted enough so the force is dissapated somewhat as you
    slide off the back.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

    could be, but my thought on that, is if the force is not dissipated on the butt, then what would be
    the first thing to contact the saddle.
    --
    ~Travis (yes, i know, but it gives you something to think about ;-)

    megalink.net~farmers

  10. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    One of my riding friends has his tipped up. One of my ex-riding friends (now back in the USA) also
    has his tipped up. Plus I've seen them like that in magazines too.

    I was watching some sort of BMX competition on cable last week and noticed all the riders had
    their saddles tipped *way* up...then I noticed a similar thing on pix of a few downhill bikes
    in a mag.

    My thought was that in situations when there's danger of your butt slamming into the saddle really
    hard, maybe it's better if the saddle is tilted enough so the force is dissapated somewhat as you
    slide off the back. ----------------------- PeteCresswell

    That's possible - but the other thing I'd note about most BMXers is how high their handlebars tend
    to be. That would permit a more upright body position and maybe less pressure where it hurts.

    DHers also tend to have high bars, permitting or necessitating a "tipped up" saddle. Also less
    clearance necessary with a "tipped up" saddle when wanting to stand up when going DH, I think.

    I'm going to ride my bike again this weekend and then maybe experiment with higher
    bars/shorter stem, etc

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  11. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    One of my riding friends has his tipped up. One of my ex-riding friends (now back in the USA)
    also has his tipped up. Plus I've seen them like that in magazines too.

    I was watching some sort of BMX competition on cable last week and noticed


    all

    Quoted message said:

    the riders had their saddles tipped *way* up

    BMX'ers generally don't use saddles for sitting on.... instead they are used to help control the
    bike. Tricks like suicides and barspins require hands to be removed form the bars, it helps to pinch
    the saddle betwixt your knees to keep the bike level - and its easier to do this if the saddle is
    pointing nose up a bit.

    Steve.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.