General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Where to buy Bison Meat?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 811 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 April 2005
Last activity
8 April 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
811
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
    seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
    pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
    outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?

    By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
    1/2 hour from me.

    Thanks.
    doug

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
    seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
    pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
    outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?

    By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
    1/2 hour from me.

    Thanks.
    doug

    You can get it at Bangma's Dairy Store. Of course, since you neglected to
    say where you are, it could be a long drive to Uxbridge, MA.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
    seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
    pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
    outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?

    By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
    1/2 hour from me.

    I tried bison meat two or three times, but not lately. I don't remember
    what the prices were for what I bought. You didn't say where in the
    world you live. There's a ShopRite supermarket in Cherry Hill, NJ about
    a mile from where I live where frozen bison steaks and ground meat are
    sold. That's where I bought the bison meat I tried. I have seen bison at
    Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but I haven't tried it from either store.

    I was not thrilled with the flavor of the bison hamburgers I made. The
    bison steak I made was also disappointing. Bison meat is leaner than cow
    meat, and probably healthier, but it didn't have much flavor either.

  4. Sorry I wasn't clearer.
    I live in Oak Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.
    I was hoping that someone might be able to share some experience with
    internet-based sites.

    doug

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
    seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
    pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
    outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?

    By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
    1/2 hour from me.

    Thanks.
    doug

  5. Doug Kelner said:

    Sorry I wasn't clearer.
    I live in Oak Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.
    I was hoping that someone might be able to share some experience with
    internet-based sites.

    doug

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
    seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
    pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
    outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?

    By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
    1/2 hour from me.

    Thanks.
    doug

    I've never bought Bison online. I can get it frozen or cryovaced in the
    regular grocery store or go to the 4 season farm stand two miles don the
    street for fresh. Buffamoo is pretty good too, fattier, lucky for me
    there's a Buffamoo farm within ten miles. If it's easily available here
    in nowhere Maine, I'd think it'd be not that hard to find it in
    Chicago-land. I generally pay 4-15 a pound depending on the cut.

    Hands-down the best bison I've ever had was at the Gunbarrel Restaurant
    in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Bison there came from a farm in
    Thermopolis Wyoming that's owed by Michael & Kathleen Gear, I don't know
    if they sell online or not but it may be worth a look. Cannot recall
    the name of the ranch ATM.

    Jessica

    Jessica

  6. Quoted message said:

    Hands-down the best bison I've ever had was at the Gunbarrel Restaurant in
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Bison there came from a farm in Thermopolis
    Wyoming that's owed by Michael & Kathleen Gear, I don't know if they sell
    online or not but it may be worth a look. Cannot recall the name of the
    ranch ATM.

    Jessica

    it's called Red Canyon ranch

    they have a website here:
    http://www.gear-gear.com/the_ranch/the_bison.htm

  7. Doug Kelner said:

    Sorry I wasn't clearer.
    I live in Oak Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.
    I was hoping that someone might be able to share some experience with

    Quoted message said:

    internet-based sites.

    doug

    It's hard to tell from the Internet sites - some (most?) of the ranches
    may butcher once or twice a year and freeze the meat - when you order
    sight-unseen you never know how old the meat is. We resorted to buying
    locally from grocery stores (Whole Foods here carries it) as we could
    trace it to the source ranch and slaughterhouse.

    If BSE is an issue for you make sure the ranch grazes on land that is
    used for Buffalo only, and that they slaughter on-site.

    HTH,
    -L.

  8. : I've never bought Bison online. I can get it frozen or cryovaced in the
    : regular grocery store or go to the 4 season farm stand two miles don the
    : street for fresh. Buffamoo is pretty good too, fattier, lucky for me
    : there's a Buffamoo farm within ten miles. If it's easily available here
    : in nowhere Maine, I'd think it'd be not that hard to find it in
    : Chicago-land. I generally pay 4-15 a pound depending on the cut.

    It's "Beefalo", dork.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.