rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Where to find a good MUNI?

Started by mattw21 · · Last activity · 11 posts · 297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
5 January 2005
Last activity
6 January 2005
Original author
mattw21
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi. Could yall pleae help me with a place to find / buy a MUNI?

    I am 6'0'' and 165 lbs, I see these post lengths, what is the lenght I
    need? I will probably go with a 24'' wheel.

    I am not too into the 'scene' so I do not know where to even begin
    looking for a MUNI. I really really love to ride my Uni down bumpy
    hills with lots of turns that have a pretty big slope and my other two
    cheapo Unis are falling apart (20'' and 24''😉. This will be my first
    MUNI that I am getting and really not looking to spend over 300 bucks.
    I'll attach a few pics for yall to see what kind of stuff I like to
    ride. And what would be a good choice. I'm looking to do more
    challenging stuff now.

    Thanks for the help in advance! 😄

    [image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/mattw21/uni_2.jpg]
    [image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/mattw21/uni_1.jpg]
    [image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/mattw21/uni_dog.jpg]
    [image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/mattw21/uni_corner.jpg]

    Live down in South Los Angeles (Torrance) CA.

    --
    mattw21
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mattw21's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8973
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  2. The first thing you need to buy is a helmet, not a muni. Once you have
    that a good choice would be the nimbus muni or the KH muni (2005). The
    kh muni is far stronger and comparable in weight, but it's a bit more
    expensive than you were looking to pay. it won't break, though (not
    trying to start a debate over whether it will or won't break. for what
    you are doing, it will be perfect). You will want leg armor for either
    of these uni's, a quick search on the forums for "shin injuries" will
    explain why. Muni pedals are nasty.

    Look on http://www.unicycle.com or e-mail darren bedford (google him, I
    don't know the site) to get these unis. Darren and unicycle.com are both
    extremely reputable sellers with excellent customer service. You won't
    go wrong working with them. If you ask Darren, you will want to ask for
    his alternative to the nimbus muni, since he doesn't sell them, he sells
    shop built versions that are slightly different (and generally better,
    due to ease of customization).

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  3. The first thing you need to buy is a helmet, not a muni. Once you have
    that a good choice would be the nimbus muni or the KH muni (2005). The
    kh muni is far stronger and comparable in weight, but it's a bit more
    expensive than you were looking to pay. it won't break, though (not
    trying to start a debate over whether it will or won't break. for what
    you are doing, it will be perfect). You will want leg armor for either
    of these uni's, a quick search on the forums for "shin injuries" will
    explain why. Muni pedals are nasty.

    Look on http://www.unicycle.com or e-mail darren bedford (google him, I
    don't know the site) to get these unis. Darren and unicycle.com are both
    extremely reputable sellers with excellent customer service. You won't
    go wrong working with them. If you ask Darren, you will want to ask for
    his alternative to the nimbus muni, since he doesn't sell them, he sells
    shop built versions that are slightly different (and generally better,
    due to ease of customization).

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  4. gerblefranklin said:

    *e-mail darren bedford (google him, I don't know the site) to get
    these unis. *

    Darren Bedford
    www.bedfordunicycles.ca
    416-729-9696

    I'd suggest hitting his website to see what's there, but really you'll
    want to give him a call. He can get you through the process and into
    something that's right for you.

    Edit: Here also is a link to some photo albums if you want to see some
    of what he has available:

    http://community.webshots.com/user/bedford_unicycles/

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  5. Wow, where were all those locations? Along the same lines, it always
    helps to identify at least your country when asking where to buy
    stuff.

    I agree a helmet is a good idea, and you should start by looking at the
    KH unicycles, then work your way down to cheaper stuff if you have to.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  6. 'THE QU-AX MUNI' (http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=796)
    is splined, very durable, and will last you quite some time. It is a bit
    above your pricerange at $330, but if you plan on doing any extreme
    riding, I'd reccomend you get it.

    If you want a lighter ride that wioll do while you are progressing and
    isnt too expensive, go with Darren Bedford. His 24x3" Light Duty muni
    should do you fine, and has a great price.

    --
    Catboy - RIP Unibiker

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    RIP Unibiker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Catboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2042
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  7. Dope! Thanks a ton for the help all. Any more suggestions?

    So far I think Catboy's recommendation of the THE QU-AX MUNI will work
    for me... But I should wait a bit longer to save up haha 🙂

    The location of the pics are in Riverside, CA (about 70 miles east of
    Los Angeles). Riverside has some of the best hills to ride down, tons
    of foothills everywhere. The exact location of those pics is called
    'Mt. Rubidoux'

    Map: http://tinyurl.com/4hnmf

    Thanks a TON all 😄

    --
    mattw21
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mattw21's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8973
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  8. Hey, I´m right up the road from you in Venice and I Muni all the time.
    I´m in Venezuela just now but I fly back to LAX tomorrow morn. Give me
    a jingle at: [email hidden]

    I´ll be riding this weekend.

    Ciao!
    John

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  9. I recommend the Nimbus frame because it has enough clearance for the 3"
    tire and mud.

    Aside from that, I would recommend that you get Bedford to build you a
    wheel.

    Contrary to others on this thread, I would not worry about a helmet for
    riding the trails sections in your pics.
    Gloves, leg armor and even arm armor (things I wear pretty much all of
    the time) will get more use.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  10. Welcome to the forums. Here, you will find some of the most helpful and
    friendly people.

    I agree with what everyone else has said about which MUni to get.

    As for this quote:

    ChangingLINKS.com said:

    *Contrary to others on this thread, I would not worry about a helmet
    for riding the trails sections in your pics.
    Gloves, leg armor and even arm armor (things I wear pretty much all of
    the time) will get more use. *

    Just remember that it's not about what you will use more. It's about
    what's more important. Leg injuries (while painful) are not nearly as
    serious as head injuries. I ride with MUni with leg armor, gloves, and
    a helmet. While the leg armor has seen the most use, if I had to ride
    with only one piece of protection, it would be the helmet.

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

  11. I didn`t mean to imply that one should only wear gear when they expect
    to use it.

    My point was that I wouldn`t bother with a helmet on the terrain that he
    showed in the pics.
    Heck, a residential street is more dangerous.
    (There are some on this forum that would even try to convince you should
    use a Gazz tire on that terrain)

    But, in an effort to keep the thread from evolving to another one about
    helmet safety I`ll go one step farther than the Helmeteers:

    "Wear a helment whenever head injury is possible - even in shower."

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37340

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.