General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Which Aveeno/Keri for eczema?

Started by Fred Ma · · Last activity · 7 posts · 616 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 May 2004
Last activity
23 May 2004
Original author
Fred Ma
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
616
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I googled around to find lotions for eczema, and found
    frequent mention of keri, aveeno, udder cream, eucarin,
    aquaphor (aquafor?) and others. A GP suggests aveeno 1st,
    and kerin 2nd. She doesn't know much about udder cream,
    aside from the fact that it was made famous by the singer
    Shania Twain.

    I looked for Aveeno and Kerin, but there are many different
    types of each. Which one would be the best to try 1st? I
    take showers rather than baths, so I'm not interested in the
    bath oils (besides, most of it gets flushed down the drain).

    Thanks for any anecdotes.

    Fred

    P.S. Til now, I've used vaseline unscented hypo-allergenic
    cream for "Problem Skin Therapy". But web info about
    eczema says that vaseline can clog pores and aggravate
    the condition. I've also used lubriderm, which is
    somewhat cheap, but I don't see it recommended too
    often in web info about eczema. I'll be using lots of
    whatever lotion I get.

  2. I get some mighty weird rashes that resemble eczema at
    times. I have found anything with perfume, lanolin or oil
    makes it itch and get even worse. what about an over the
    counter hydrocortisone like cortaid 1.0% for example? that
    might work a little better for you.

    "Fred Ma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I googled around to find lotions for eczema, and found
    frequent mention of keri, aveeno, udder cream, eucarin,
    aquaphor (aquafor?) and others. A GP suggests aveeno 1st,
    and kerin 2nd. She doesn't know much about udder cream,
    aside from the fact that it was made famous by the singer
    Shania Twain.

    I looked for Aveeno and Kerin, but there are many
    different types of each. Which one would be the best to
    try 1st? I take showers rather than baths, so I'm not
    interested in the bath oils (besides, most of it gets
    flushed down the drain).

    Thanks for any anecdotes.

    Fred

    P.S. Til now, I've used vaseline unscented hypo-allergenic
    cream for "Problem Skin Therapy". But web info about
    eczema says that vaseline can clog pores and
    aggravate the condition. I've also used lubriderm,
    which is somewhat cheap, but I don't see it
    recommended too often in web info about eczema. I'll
    be using lots of whatever lotion I get.

  3. Janna said:


    I get some mighty weird rashes that resemble eczema at
    times. I have found anything with perfume, lanolin or oil
    makes it itch and get even worse. what about an over the
    counter hydrocortisone like cortaid 1.0% for example? that
    might work a little better for you.

    I've had some success with that, but would like to avoid it
    if possible. What I really need is a whole-body lotion.

    Fred

  4. Keri is pretty good as a body lotion. sometimes vitamin E
    cream helps alot too. you might want to get the kind for
    sensitive skin if you have a rash .

    "Fred Ma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Janna said:


    I get some mighty weird rashes that resemble eczema at
    times. I have


    found

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    anything with perfume, lanolin or oil makes it itch and
    get even worse. what about an over the counter
    hydrocortisone like cortaid 1.0% for


    example?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that might work a little better for you.

    I've had some success with that, but would like to avoid
    it if possible. What I really need is a whole-body lotion.

    Fred

  5. Janna said:


    Keri is pretty good as a body lotion. sometimes vitamin E
    cream helps alot too. you might want to get the kind for
    sensitive skin if you have a rash .

    OK. I'll look. I can't recall the 3 variations of Keri, but
    one of them should be name something like for sensitive
    skin. Too bad it doesn't include the vitamin E (I presume).
    There should be enough eczima people that it seems to make
    sense to have one lotion with all the right stuff in it e.g.
    anti-itch, vitamin E, and moisturizer. Actually, I should
    check the labels, maybe they have these. I know that Aveeno
    has a tiny bottle of anti-itch, but not meant for massive
    use. I wouldn't be surprised if an all-in-one lotion already
    exists, for the right price. For example, I saw many
    references to a pricey "Proteque". I will look for it again,
    just to satisfy curiosity if nothing else.

    Thanks.

    Fred

  6. Fred Ma said:


    Janna said:


    Keri is pretty good as a body lotion. sometimes vitamin
    E cream helps alot too. you might want to get the kind
    for sensitive skin if you have a rash .

    OK. I'll look. I can't recall the 3 variations of Keri,
    but one of them should be name something like for
    sensitive skin. Too bad it doesn't include the vitamin E
    (I presume). There should be enough eczima people that it
    seems to make sense to have one lotion with all the right
    stuff in it e.g. anti-itch, vitamin E, and moisturizer.

    Just to correct myself: I said Keri has no Vitamin E. I was
    wrong. I got a bottle of the brand for sensitive skin (it's
    as economical as any other brand) and it has all the
    ingredients of a good lotion of easily inflamed skin:

    "...pH balanced...hypoallergenic water-based...combines
    glycerin, vitamin E, and aloe"

    I heard that aloe is good for relieving itchiness, but other
    Aloe lotions I saw had all sorts of strange, questionable
    ingredients. I assume that the pH balance means less
    aggravating to the skin (I heard that some lotions are
    acidic). As well, no mention of lanolin. By water-based, I
    assume there is minimal unnecessary oils. As for the
    glycerin, my impression is that all lotions have it. All in
    all, a very good and serious lotion for sensitive skin. I
    can switch from my lanolin-containing lubriderm to this
    brand of Keri.

    I should add that lubriderm is probably a very good lotion
    for those without sensitivities to its ingredients.

    Fred

  7. I agree.

    "Fred Ma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Fred Ma said:


    Janna said:


    Keri is pretty good as a body lotion. sometimes
    vitamin E cream helps alot too. you might want to get
    the kind for sensitive skin if you have a rash .

    OK. I'll look. I can't recall the 3 variations of Keri,
    but one of them should be name something like for
    sensitive skin. Too bad it doesn't include the vitamin E
    (I presume). There should be enough eczima people that
    it seems to make sense to have one lotion with all the
    right stuff in it e.g. anti-itch, vitamin E, and
    moisturizer.

    Just to correct myself: I said Keri has no Vitamin E. I
    was wrong. I got a bottle of the brand for sensitive skin
    (it's as economical as any other brand) and it has all the
    ingredients of a good lotion of easily inflamed skin:

    "...pH balanced...hypoallergenic water-based...combines
    glycerin, vitamin E, and aloe"

    I heard that aloe is good for relieving itchiness, but
    other Aloe lotions I saw had all sorts of strange,
    questionable ingredients. I assume that the pH balance
    means less aggravating to the skin (I heard that some
    lotions are acidic). As well, no mention of lanolin. By
    water-based, I assume there is minimal unnecessary oils.
    As for the glycerin, my impression is that all lotions
    have it. All in all, a very good and serious lotion for
    sensitive skin. I can switch from my lanolin-containing
    lubriderm to this brand of Keri.

    I should add that lubriderm is probably a very good lotion
    for those without sensitivities to its ingredients.

    Fred

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.