Quoted message said:Chris Slade said:Quoted message said:Yes the Rohloff would be the one I would buy in an ideal world.
While I can justify the cheaper models by setting commuting costs
against the bike costs it gets harder to do so when the bike price
doubles simply because of a different set of gears!
Try offsetting against gym membership as well and see if you can
justify it that way. :-)
I find it easy to justify anything if I want it enough (and can afford
it), but in only one short week I've gone from thinking I need simple
folder for commuting to now being tempted (by you lot) into getting a
£2000 bike! It's all bit much I think for someone who is new to all
this.
And for that reason alone, I think its not the way to go.
Quoted message said:Thing is I've scoured the Interent for info and, although everyone
sells the Rohloff to order, I haven't seen any reports from a single
person that actually owns this model Birdy. I wonder whether this is
just something that is too much of an indulgence for anyone to
justify. I certainly doubt there would be one to try in any London
bike shop.
I think that says quite a bit.
You could ask a few of the dealers if they have ever sold one, and if they
have, ask if they would contact the owner with your details, saying you
wanted to talk to an owner about their experiences.
Having followed the thread so far, if the Birdy is the right general
shape/fold for you, then I'd go with the simple 8-speed hub. Sane price,
and sane bike for commuting.
I doubt the retro-fit upgrade costs to a Rohloff is worse than the list
price differences; I can't see how a Rohloff wheel would cost £950, even
allowing for possible needs to change the chainring size, fitting a Rohloff
tensioner (rather than the one on the current bike), the Rohloff change
grip. Worth checking if the frame is any different at the rear drop-out
(not obvious from the R&M website).
- Nigel
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/