Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Which brake to chose?

Started by Pat · · Last activity · 8 posts · 438 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 May 2005
Last activity
29 May 2005
Original author
Pat
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
438
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am planning on ordering a Bike Friday folding bike with 20" wheels. They
    have given me a choice of V-brakes, Cantilevers, or Dual Pivot brakes. I
    eliminated Cantilevers right away, but I keep going back and forth on
    whether I should go with the Dual Pivots or the V-brakes. This little bike
    will have the ability to carry up to a 2.2" wide tire although I plan on
    getting a 1.75" Schwalbe Marathon K to begin with. Anyone care to weigh in
    on whether I should go with V-brakes or Dual Pivots? Can a Dual Pivot even
    take a tire that wide?

    Pat in TX

  2. Pat said:

    I am planning on ordering a Bike Friday folding bike with 20" wheels.


    They

    Quoted message said:

    have given me a choice of V-brakes, Cantilevers, or Dual Pivot


    brakes. I

    Quoted message said:

    eliminated Cantilevers right away, but I keep going back and forth on
    whether I should go with the Dual Pivots or the V-brakes. This little


    bike

    Quoted message said:

    will have the ability to carry up to a 2.2" wide tire although I plan


    on

    Quoted message said:

    getting a 1.75" Schwalbe Marathon K to begin with. Anyone care to


    weigh in

    Quoted message said:

    on whether I should go with V-brakes or Dual Pivots? Can a Dual Pivot


    even

    Quoted message said:

    take a tire that wide?

    Why eliminate the cantilevers right away? Modern canti's are
    lighweight, easy to work with, and stop just as well as any other
    brake.

    As for dual-pivot's versus linear pulls, I haven't seen a dual pivot
    brake that could clear 2.2" tires. Linear pull brakes are nice enough,
    but pretty much all modern brakes are easy to work with and stop just
    fine, especially with good pads.

    Later,
    Mark

  3. Quoted message said:


    As for dual-pivot's versus linear pulls, I haven't seen a dual pivot
    brake that could clear 2.2" tires.

    Dia-Compe FSE brakes could but I believe they're long out of
    production.

    Jeff

  4. :
    : Why eliminate the cantilevers right away? Modern canti's are
    : lighweight, easy to work with, and stop just as well as any other
    : brake.
    :
    : As for dual-pivot's versus linear pulls, I haven't seen a dual pivot
    : brake that could clear 2.2" tires. Linear pull brakes are nice enough,
    : but pretty much all modern brakes are easy to work with and stop just
    : fine, especially with good pads.
    :
    : Later,
    : Mark

    So, if the choice should be between the cantilevers and the V-brakes, which
    would you select?
    Cantilevers have less equipment to adjust, I suppose.

    Pat inTX
    :

  5. Pat said:

    :
    : Why eliminate the cantilevers right away? Modern canti's are
    : lighweight, easy to work with, and stop just as well as any other
    : brake.
    :
    : As for dual-pivot's versus linear pulls, I haven't seen a dual


    pivot

    Quoted message said:

    : brake that could clear 2.2" tires. Linear pull brakes are nice


    enough,

    Quoted message said:

    : but pretty much all modern brakes are easy to work with and stop


    just

    Quoted message said:

    : fine, especially with good pads.
    :
    : Later,
    : Mark

    So, if the choice should be between the cantilevers and the V-brakes,


    which

    Quoted message said:

    would you select?
    Cantilevers have less equipment to adjust, I suppose.

    Depends... Which gives a nicer/easier cable routing for the bike in
    question? Is there any issue with rack or heel clearance with the rear
    brake? What about folding issues - does one cause less problems when
    folding than the other. I can't answer these questions, because it
    depends on the bike, which I am unfamilar with. In general, linear
    pulls stick out less and are easier to find a nice cable routing for,
    but your mileage may vary.

    Later,
    Mark

  6. Pat said:

    I am planning on ordering a Bike Friday folding bike with 20" wheels. They
    have given me a choice of V-brakes, Cantilevers, or Dual Pivot brakes. I
    eliminated Cantilevers right away, but I keep going back and forth on
    whether I should go with the Dual Pivots or the V-brakes. This little bike
    will have the ability to carry up to a 2.2" wide tire although I plan on
    getting a 1.75" Schwalbe Marathon K to begin with. Anyone care to weigh in
    on whether I should go with V-brakes or Dual Pivots? Can a Dual Pivot even
    take a tire that wide?

    As has been mentioned, your tyre size all but eliminates dual pivot
    brakes. So now you're left with V's vs cantis. An age-old discussion...

    What style brake levers and shifters are you using? That might make the
    decision for you. For example, I don't know of any brifters for drop
    bars that work with v-brakes without the help of a travel agent. I'd
    recommend cantis if you're using STI or Ergo.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Pat said:

    I am planning on ordering a Bike Friday folding bike with 20" wheels. They
    have given me a choice of V-brakes, Cantilevers, or Dual Pivot brakes. I
    eliminated Cantilevers right away, but I keep going back and forth on
    whether I should go with the Dual Pivots or the V-brakes. This little bike
    will have the ability to carry up to a 2.2" wide tire although I plan on
    getting a 1.75" Schwalbe Marathon K to begin with. Anyone care to weigh in
    on whether I should go with V-brakes or Dual Pivots? Can a Dual Pivot even
    take a tire that wide?

    Probably not, but there are caliper brakes that will.

    --
    Michael Press

  8. Pat said:

    :
    : Why eliminate the cantilevers right away? Modern canti's are
    : lighweight, easy to work with, and stop just as well as any other
    : brake.
    :
    : As for dual-pivot's versus linear pulls, I haven't seen a dual pivot
    : brake that could clear 2.2" tires. Linear pull brakes are nice enough,
    : but pretty much all modern brakes are easy to work with and stop just
    : fine, especially with good pads.
    :
    : Later,
    : Mark

    So, if the choice should be between the cantilevers and the V-brakes, which
    would you select?
    Cantilevers have less equipment to adjust, I suppose.

    I find the V brakes to be fussier to adjust but also easier to adjust, so it's a
    wash.

    My use for them is off road and the V brakes have a narrower profile and don't
    end up with as much spanish moss hanging off them. The V brake is a sleeker look
    with the brake arms parallel or near parallel to existing structures like fork
    blades and seat stays, instead of having diagonal wires and levers all sticking
    out.

    I'd go with the V's unless cost or lever compatibility were an issue then I'd go
    with the canti's and not even feel the least bit bad about it.

    Ron

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.