which clear gloss to use on frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by #215, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. #215

    #215 Guest

    I've just stripped my frame down and re-sprayed with primer and then a gloss white. It looks good
    but still will need a clear coat to protect and bring up the shine more. What sort of gloss do I
    use? Is there anything I need to look out for when doing it?

    Overall the whole process has been a success

    Thanks for any help.

    Tags:

  2. Jpinkowish

    Jpinkowish Guest

    >I've just stripped my frame down and re-sprayed with primer and then a gloss white. It looks
    >good but still will need a clear coat to protect and bring up the shine more. What sort of gloss
    >do I use?

    use a clear made by the same company the produces the gloss white.

    Jan Pinkowish Bristol, CT

  3. Wantagofast

    Wantagofast Guest

    likely a clear acrlyc (sp), worst case use krylon.

    "Jpinkowish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I've just stripped my frame down and re-sprayed with primer and then a
    gloss
    > >white. It looks good but still will need a clear coat to protect and
    bring
    > >up the shine more. What sort of gloss do I use?
    >
    > use a clear made by the same company the produces the gloss white.
    >
    > Jan Pinkowish Bristol, CT

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "#215" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've just stripped my frame down and re-sprayed with primer and then a
    gloss
    > white. It looks good but still will need a clear coat to protect and
    bring
    > up the shine more. What sort of gloss do I use? Is there anything I need to look out for when
    > doing it?
    >
    > Overall the whole process has been a success

    Use the same brand of paint as your white*. If you let the color coat set completely, you'll need to
    wetsand the color with 600 to get good adhesion of the clear. Normally, the clear is applied over
    fresh paint in a two to four hour window to avoid unnecessary wetsanding. Of course the sanding can
    dramatically improve a mediocre finish so it's not always a complete waste of time.

    * generally, buy your primer, thinner, color, any additives like pearls, activator, reducer and
    clear at one time and specifically ask about compatibility before you leave the paint shop!