Road Cycling · Public discussion

Which is more dangerous to a cyclist?

Started by Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® · · Last activity · 13 posts · 402 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 November 2007
Last activity
3 December 2007
Original author
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
402
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around.

    Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  3. (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition (R) said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around.

    Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

    In all my years of riding, I've been distracted by many things. Back
    when I was a youth I was easily distracted by one thing in particular
    (still gets me now every once in a while, though I now manage to
    maintain heading and situational awareness), and it caused a few
    crashes. Somehow, I've never been so distracted by the front tire it
    caused me to wreck. I'm as easily amused as the next guy, but I never
    understood that one.

  4. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around.

    I'm at increased danger of that as when I'm cranking at just the right
    speed at night, it looks like it's stopped or going backwards. It's a
    pretty neat looking effect and a little distracting. I'm guessing it's
    an artifact of the frequency of my LED headlight (if it's at less than
    100% duty cycle). It mostly happens going uphill, which would make
    sense.

    Quoted message said:

    Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

    MOTAS in tight clothing jogging on the sidewalk would be my vote.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants,
    today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
    -- Dave Barry

  5. Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ? said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    Definitely squirrels. I quit riding with them years ago.

    Bill

    __o | Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain
    _`\(,_ | or freed a human soul in this world--and never will.
    (_)/ (_) | --Mark Twain

  6. Quoted message said:

    ...Back
    when I was a youth I was easily distracted by one thing in particular
    (still gets me now every once in a while, though I now manage to
    maintain heading and situational awareness)...

    Haha. I totally got caught today. I tried to play it off by acting
    like I was looking for traffic on the cross street. Seeing as how the
    traffic would have been going the wrong way on a one-way, it didn't work.

    \\paul

  7. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around.

    Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

    I think looking up watching birds, clouds, stars, moon,
    whatever, is very hazardous.

    A tilted gyroscope makes the rider want to ride the bike
    90 degrees off vertical plane!

    SMH

  8. "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" wrote: (clip)Squirrels, not
    wearing a helmet,
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't recall a single squirrel reported killed that WAS wearing a helmet.

  9. Well, obviously the squirell wearing the helmet is more dangerous, as it
    may survive to make a second attack!

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  10. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around....

    No, it is watching one's feet. That is why I wear plain black shoes.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
    differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
    excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

  11. Stephen Harding said:
    Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"

    Quoted message said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads
    instead of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around.

    Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

    I think looking up watching birds, clouds, stars, moon,
    whatever, is very hazardous.

    A tilted gyroscope makes the rider want to ride the bike
    90 degrees off vertical plane!

    I do not have this problem when riding my trike:
    <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2330/1939609411_31ff74a07c.jpg?v=0>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
    differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
    excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

  12. Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition (R) said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    from my own experience, squirrels. i had two friends who fell and
    broke bones because of them. no issues with no helmets, and the
    threads are good when we are not biking
    carlos
    http://www.bikingthings.com

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dane Buson said:
    Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® said:

    Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
    of riding? Discuss
    among yourselves.

    The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
    hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
    front tire going around.

    I'm at increased danger of that as when I'm cranking at just the right
    speed at night, it looks like it's stopped or going backwards. It's a
    pretty neat looking effect and a little distracting. I'm guessing it's
    an artifact of the frequency of my LED headlight (if it's at less than
    100% duty cycle). It mostly happens going uphill, which would make
    sense.

    When riding in the rain at night, I kinda like looking
    at how that thin stream of water squirts out forward
    from my front fender. My Planet Bike Beamr 3-Spot
    illuminates it rather prettily.

    I think the looking at the front tire thing is mostly
    an effect more associated with drop handlebars.

    I'm pleased to state it's been a while since I
    accidentally rear-ended a parked car. That mostly
    happened back in the '70s, when I had my fleet of
    hand-me-down Apollo 10-speeds (and I was
    somewhat younger.)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.