One on one said:I have to question your statement. From what I understand, U-Turns
Worlds strongest wheel uses a steel hub and he doesn't have a problem
with spokes breaking at the shoulders. Usually spokes breaking at the
shoulders are because of loose fitting spokes and improper tension not
whether the flange is steel or aluminum.
U-Turn also goes through a lot of extra trouble to minimize the
inherent problems with steel flanges. He uses spoke washers, I believe
he inspects each and every spoke hole to make sure there are no sharp
edges, and is very meticulous in the wheel build.
Aluminum will deform (at the spoke hole) and better and more evenly
support the shoulder of the spoke. That makes things easier for the
wheel builder, and makes for a better wheel. I'm sure U-Turn would
rather have aluminum flanges on his Coker wheels, but that hub does not
exist (yet).
--
john_childs
john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)
BOSE Sucks! Buy Other Stereo Equipment
------------------------------------------------------------------------
john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50011