Which saddle?

Rudy

Sep 23, 2003
I know that saddle is somewhat of a personal fit and personal taste for everyone. But I'm looking for a new and more comfortable saddle and I have been somewhat out of touch with bike equipments lately.

I don't race. I have Litespeed Catalyst and yes I do use aerobar. My current saddle is a Vetta TT Shock...it's pretty comfy but they don't make them anymore.

If you fellas can mention some names of good and popular saddle, it can be a starting place for my search...

Originally posted by Rudy
I know that saddle is somewhat of a personal fit and personal taste for everyone. But I'm looking for a new and more comfortable saddle and I have been somewhat out of touch with bike equipments lately.

I don't race. I have Litespeed Catalyst and yes I do use aerobar. My current saddle is a Vetta TT Shock...it's pretty comfy but they don't make them anymore.

If you fellas can mention some names of good and popular saddle, it can be a starting place for my search...

:) I ran into a sore butt especially when on the trainer for hours. I went through the Koobi and it was a little flat for me, then I got the turbomatic 4 gel and have totally forgotten about any pain from the saddle. In reading I have seen that about half the riders in the Tour de France also use a tourbomatic. I would certainly give it a try, heavy but comfortable.

good luck

Originally posted by mhubbert
:) I ran into a sore butt especially when on the trainer for hours. I went through the Koobi and it was a little flat for me, then I got the turbomatic 4 gel and have totally forgotten about any pain from the saddle. In reading I have seen that about half the riders in the Tour de France also use a tourbomatic. I would certainly give it a try, heavy but comfortable.

good luck

sorry...but who makes it? what about the Selle Flite Gel? any ideas?

Originally posted by mhubbert
Selle italia, check out www.wisecyclebuys.com, call and you can get a great price

uummm sorry but linky no worky...and I have yet to be able to find "tourbomatic" from the web in general ..let alone a saddle with that name...did we get the right spelling?

uummm sorry but linky no worky...and I have yet to be able to find "tourbomatic" from the web in general ..let alone a saddle with that name...did we get the right spelling?
Turbomatic sorry I can't spell, but it is a good saddle

I found a site J&B Importers, that lists bicycle parts and location within USA. However, according to this site, the Turbomatic is not available in USA at this time. Reading the reviews on Roadbikereview.com, most people prefer the Non-gel version of the Turbomatic. I have a very old Turbo saddle which I like, and am looking for a new Turbomatic to replace a saddle on another bike. If anyone knows of a bicycle shop that has Turbomatics (in Black) please post their number or web site.

I guess we're talking about the Turbomatic Quattro? which is same as Turbomatic 4 ??

Any ideas about the Selle Prolink? or the Max Flite?

Thanks

I have read the roadbike reviews and just don't know. Besides what I have tried and many people find comfortable. I have never heard it called the quatro, but would assume the same saddle if from selle italia.

Don't bother with any gimicks like jell this or cutout that.

Get a Brooks saddle. I can personally recommend the B-17. They are comfortable, good looking, will break in and conform to YOUR tailside (Plastic doesn't break in, it just wears out), will last for 20 or 30 years (thats not an exageration!), if they start to get too loose, you can retighten them, they contain No plastic components, just leather and metal, no nike swoosh jell coated turbo chargers, no neon colors. They won't wear out, and they won't be "outdated" in a week, month, year, or decade.

Hand made by Brooks in England.

check out www.brookssaddles.com
www.wallbike.com

Originally posted by stevenaleach
Don't bother with any gimicks like jell this or cutout that.

Get a Brooks saddle. I can personally recommend the B-17. They are comfortable, good looking, will break in and conform to YOUR tailside (Plastic doesn't break in, it just wears out), will last for 20 or 30 years (thats not an exageration!), if they start to get too loose, you can retighten them, they contain No plastic components, just leather and metal, no nike swoosh jell coated turbo chargers, no neon colors. They won't wear out, and they won't be "outdated" in a week, month, year, or decade.

Hand made by Brooks in England.

check out www.brookssaddles.com
www.wallbike.com

love a brooks, but if your about weight, maybe not. If a saddle goes 10-20,000 that's not bad. But Brooks are great once they are broken in.

Selle Italia Flite Kevlar - very comfy
Fizik Aliante - most comfy but $$$

Originally posted by patch70
Selle Italia Flite Kevlar - very comfy
Fizik Aliante - most comfy but $$$

I think for right now the turbomatic looks like a safe choice...it seems to have gotten some good user reviews from roadbikereviews and ...is used by lots of pros..if I'm correct.

I'm still debating :D :D ;)

I think for right now the turbomatic looks like a safe choice...it seems to have gotten some good user reviews from roadbikereviews and ...is used by lots of pros..if I'm correct.

I'm still debating :D :D ;)

mhuber...you wouldn't happen to have a pic of your turbomatic 4 saddle you can show us?

Sorry don't have a picture. I'm sure you'll like it and if not they sell great on ebay.

If you want to get the Turbomatic 4 look at www.bikeman.com Plenty of other seats there. Another one recommended by my local shop is the San Marco Aero.

I have a Sella Italia Flite Gel which I use for racing but anything 1.5hrs+ becomes a pain. I have an old favorite which I use for 2+ hr rides. Two different Seat/seatposts so I just have to change the post over. The seats are adjusted appropriately so it takes about 5 seconds.

Good Luck

No point riding if it becomes a pain in the bum!!!!

Originally posted by kim belfield
If you want to get the Turbomatic 4 look at www.bikeman.com Plenty of other seats there. Another one recommended by my local shop is the San Marco Aero.

I have a Sella Italia Flite Gel which I use for racing but anything 1.5hrs+ becomes a pain. I have an old favorite which I use for 2+ hr rides. Two different Seat/seatposts so I just have to change the post over. The seats are adjusted appropriately so it takes about 5 seconds.

Good Luck

No point riding if it becomes a pain in the bum!!!!

yea the flite looks nice and cheap ...

oh btw the turbomatic 4 is same as quatrro...chk this site and the selle italia site does not mention any thing named turbomatic 4

http://www.turramurracyclery.com.au/product.asp?product=172

I've never seen a bad review of the Fizik Aliante, but it looks like it is designed for those who require a narrower seat. Has anyone with wider dimensions tried the Aliante?

I've tried the Selle Italia Flite Ti, but it was much too narrow for me, and the nose of the saddle was very painful on the perineal area. The Selle Italia Prolink is much better, and is certainly wide enough, but there is still some uncomfortable pressure. I've ordered the Gel Flow version of this saddle which has a cutout, so I'm hoping that this will be a perfect fit.

I've also ordered the Serfas Rx, which has had some positive comments.

The Koobi PRS has also had a few good reviews, but also a few less positive comments on longer term comfort. It is also quite unattractive and would not suit most bikes - I wouldn't put it on my bike.

The saddle I have found to be most comfortable and can happily ride around on for hours is the WTB Speed-V. Unfortunately, it is very heavy (well over 400g, according to my kitchen scales) and very ugly. It just doesn't look right on a road bike.

RossB...I seem to have made the same observations as you...although I have not ride on the Flite nor the Prolink but from the pictures I have seen, the Turbomatic4 seems to have a little more support than the Prolink at the nose...and that is exactly what I'm looking for and hoping it'll work out well.
The
Selle San Marco Azoto Tri Race Gel Saddle
seems to have quite a bit of support at the nose...I have yet to try it out but picked it up at a store at their closing time...so I don't really know how it would do ...but the seat seems a little narrow in the back even compare to the Flite. It is for time trial after all.

Originally posted by RossB
I've never seen a bad review of the Fizik Aliante, but it looks like it is designed for those who require a narrower seat. Has anyone with wider dimensions tried the Aliante?

I've tried the Selle Italia Flite Ti, but it was much too narrow for me, and the nose of the saddle was very painful on the perineal area. The Selle Italia Prolink is much better, and is certainly wide enough, but there is still some uncomfortable pressure. I've ordered the Gel Flow version of this saddle which has a cutout, so I'm hoping that this will be a perfect fit.

I've also ordered the Serfas Rx, which has had some positive comments.

The Koobi PRS has also had a few good reviews, but also a few less positive comments on longer term comfort. It is also quite unattractive and would not suit most bikes - I wouldn't put it on my bike.

The saddle I have found to be most comfortable and can happily ride around on for hours is the WTB Speed-V. Unfortunately, it is very heavy (well over 400g, according to my kitchen scales) and very ugly. It just doesn't look right on a road bike.