Thank you to all who have replied on this topic. I feel that I should
apologize for repeating a FAQ.
I read the analysis at:
http://www.achrn.demon.co.uk/astounding/ian/wheel/index.html
I cannot argue with this analysis as a description of what happens when a
bicycle wheel is loaded in the usual fashiom. As a mathematician, I
certainly believe in the superposition principle--for linear problems.
If I can venture a few comments:
1. The change in tension of each spoke is directly proportional to the
change in strain on the spoke, which in turn is directly proportional to
(the deformation in the rim, plus any displacement of the hub relative to
that point of the rim).
2. Upper spokes show small changes in tension because there is little
deformation in the upper part of the rim, and furthermore there is,
apparently, little displacement of the hub relative to the upper part of the
rim.
I also read the analysis of forces in the rim at
http://www.achrn.demon.co.uk/astounding/ian/wheel/3c_rim.html
This page only analyzes radial (not axial) forces on the rim, and bending
forces on the rim. Tangential compressive stresses in the rim are not
analyzed. Those could be interesting, but of course I don't really know.
The following is a quibble, but I am a bit concerned by the statement in the
above cited page on rims:
" Total peak stress in the rim from applying 1000N to the wheel is therefore
1.5 + 19.2 = 20.7 N/mm2."
It is not right to add stresses in two different directions as scalars. This
should be treated as the norm of a vector.
Most of the argument on this topic has to do with "semantics", or
interpretation. As a non-engineer I am reluctant to stick my neck out (once
more), but I think that the average bicyclist would get the most correct
understanding of this problem if we said that the hub is supported by the
difference in tension between the upper spokes and the lower spokes, and
that this difference results from the large change in tension in the spokes
closest to the point of contactt.
Thanks again for your discussion,
David Wagner