Which Trainer?

Alex Simmons

Mar 12, 2006
Ok guys and gals

Many of you know my current predicament. One leg down. I will be back on the bike as soon as I can and riding with a prosthetic but in the meantime I'm planning some things that will help my comeback. I suspect I will need to incorporate more time on a trainer than before (I was a 99% ride outdoors man).

So I need to choose one. I know this has been covered before but would like some fresh comment.

Velotron is out of price range unless lotteries are kind to me.
I've kind of got down to
Computrainer or Kurt Kinetic Road.

I already have PT wheels so measuring and pacing by power is not a problem. I just figure the KK has the edge because of the flywheel and better feel everyone seems to report. I'll need every bit of encouragement to ride indoors as it's not my usual modus operandi.

For CT users, how much is ergo mode useful, over say simply controlling the effort yourself on a non-ergo trainer. Is it worth the extra price?

I have ridden CT but never a KK - I do all my MAP tests on a friend's CT. It feels better than my crummy mag trainer but there is still that low inertia feel about it.

Comments?

Thanks for any help. Cheers, Alex

Alex Simmons said:
Ok guys and gals

Many of you know my current predicament. One leg down. I will be back on the bike as soon as I can and riding with a prosthetic but in the meantime I'm planning some things that will help my comeback. I suspect I will need to incorporate more time on a trainer than before (I was a 99% ride outdoors man).

So I need to choose one. I know this has been covered before but would like some fresh comment.

Velotron is out of price range unless lotteries are kind to me.
I've kind of got down to
Computrainer or Kurt Kinetic Road.

I already have PT wheels so measuring and pacing by power is not a problem. I just figure the KK has the edge because of the flywheel and better feel everyone seems to report. I'll need every bit of encouragement to ride indoors as it's not my usual modus operandi.

For CT users, how much is ergo mode useful, over say simply controlling the effort yourself on a non-ergo trainer. Is it worth the extra price?

I have ridden CT but never a KK - I do all my MAP tests on a friend's CT. It feels better than my crummy mag trainer but there is still that low inertia feel about it.

Comments?

Thanks for any help. Cheers, Alex

One factor that I'd consider: as a "99% ride outdoors man", would the CompuTrainer provide you with any motivational benefits that would justify/outweigh the additional cost/low inertial load?

I train extensively on my CT because of its ergo mode. For all out intervals I find it very beneficial to not have to think about keeping my power within a particular range - the CT forces me to do this. Also, being able to create erg files and then just hit start on my PC is very beneficial - you are held to the interval intensities and recovery periods. Finally, I purchased some erg files and a training plan from training peaks and have been very pleased (I am a masochist!) with them.

One thing you may want to consider is the "spinscan" feature on the CT...it *may* be of some benefit once you get your prosthesis to even out your pedal stroke.

But I feel that you're gonna be riding outside sooner rather than later...

Hey Alex,

I'm not the best reviewer, but I will say that the KK I have does have a great feel to it. I've only ever ridden rollers other than the KK, so my experience is pretty limited.

I would suspect you'll end up working the daylights out of whatever you get, and since you already have powertap wheels, adding more electronics to calibrate and monkey with wouldn't be worth it to me. People will probably tack on and say "oh the CT is great and I've never had any problems with it," but if you're going to spend a lot of time on something, I'd want to have something that has the smallest chances for failure - and the KK's reputation for reliability is hard to match (again, since you have the PT wheels, metering effort won't be so hard).

VW

Hey Alex,

Glad to hear you're going to bounce back.

I've had both and I prefer KK over CT. Although I'm not sure if you could stay motivated on the KK for a long time. Computrainer has a nice hook up to the computer which will definitely motivate you.

However, I've been always on the lookout for a velodrome file hooked up to the computrainer. Now that would have been sweet!

Robin

acoggan said:
One factor that I'd consider: as a "99% ride outdoors man", would the CompuTrainer provide you with any motivational benefits that would justify/outweigh the additional cost/low inertial load?
I sort of agree with Andy. I'm also a 99% ride outdoors guy, and it's a real mental drag to pull out the trainer. Over the years I've used rollers, a fan trainer, a mag trainer, and a mag-braked ergo trainer. [I move a lot]. I hate(d) them all but the one I hated the least was the Tacx Flow, until I finally figured out that the ergo mode wasn't working very well. None of them have particularly realistic road feel but I'm pretty convinced now that realistic road feel isn't terribly important -- an ergo doesn't have realistic road feel and I don't think it means you can't attain training goals on it. Make your choice on price and which one satisfies your motivational needs; not road feel or SpinScam. Whether it folds nice and small so it takes up the least space in your closet when you get back outdoors is also important.

Thanks all for comments.

Yes, I suspect I will need to do more indoor training so the attitude to it does need to change. So anything I can do to help that I'll consider.

I have two road bikes and PT wheels so can devote one to the trainer making life easy.

In analysing my rides, I have this regular forced junk mile section to/from my favourite training routes - OK on way out, serves as a warm up, but on way back is a lousy cool down. I would like to think a little more time on trainer can make me a little more time efficient and enable better control of some specific interval work.

I must have missed something, do I need a PC/laptop as well to run the computrainer's ergo programming?

Depending on your budget, you can get the features of the CT (ergometer mode, 3D videogame mode) and a realistic road feel.

I have Kreitler rollers, the KK with 18 lb flywheel, a mag trainer, and a Velotron. The rollers probably feel more road realistic than the Velotron <200W but the VT is the only device where I can output the same or even more power compared to outdoors.

The KK Road or Pro would be the perfect addition to a Powertap especially if you have access to a friends CT when you need it that's the best of both worlds.

I have a question, i've recently got a powertap and started working on my testing with my new power meter. I did a 20min test on the trainer (tacx i-magic) and found that the average power output was ~50 Watts (Powertap values) lower than when i did it on the road a week later. the question is woud clamping your wheel into the turbo trainer affect the values the powertap measures? My thinking was that the trainer clamped to the quick release by reduce the hub distortion which is measured by the strain gauges. Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this? If this is the case i was thinking of moving back onto rollers, whichwould be good for my bike handling, i saw some of the UK riders riding no-handed on the rollers at a track and throught that was pretty cool.

Regards,

Mark

mac_220 said:
I have a question, i've recently got a powertap and started working on my testing with my new power meter. I did a 20min test on the trainer (tacx i-magic) and found that the average power output was ~50 Watts (Powertap values) lower than when i did it on the road a week later. the question is woud clamping your wheel into the turbo trainer affect the values the powertap measures? My thinking was that the trainer clamped to the quick release by reduce the hub distortion which is measured by the strain gauges. Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this? If this is the case i was thinking of moving back onto rollers, whichwould be good for my bike handling, i saw some of the UK riders riding no-handed on the rollers at a track and throught that was pretty cool.

Regards,

Mark

Generally, lots of people produce a whole lot less power indoors compared to out for a variety of reasons. Some poor people, produce more indoors than out.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
Generally, lots of people produce a whole lot less power indoors compared to out for a variety of reasons. Some poor people, produce more indoors than out.

ric

Thanks for the info Ric, what are the main reasons for loss of power? Certainly my perceived exhersion was much higher on the turbo trainer than on the road, although it was quite hot inside, so i suppose this must be a factor.