Which yardlong Asparagus bean do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by James, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I've grown both red seed and black seed. Seems to me the red seedpods
    grow old too quickly. The black seed one are more succulent but have
    lower yields..

    Which taste better?

    Tags:

  2. I am no greenthumb, but the only type of asparagus I've seen are mostly
    green and about 6 inches long at the supermarket. I've never seen any
    asparagus that are a yard long and red or black. Where can I buy these
    type?

  3. James

    James Guest

    That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
    I didn't make it clear.

    The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
    half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
    string beans.

  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    James wrote:

    > That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
    > I didn't make it clear.
    >
    > The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
    > half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
    > string beans.

    crossposting snipped

    I've never seen these but sure would like to try growing them! I'd be
    very curious as to their flavour and texture. Here's a link for anyone
    who is interested
    http://www.store.yahoo.com/evergreenseeds/asbeanyarbea.html

  5. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > James wrote:
    >
    > > That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
    > > I didn't make it clear.
    > >
    > > The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
    > > half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
    > > string beans.
    > >

    > crossposting snipped
    >
    > I've never seen these but sure would like to try growing them! I'd be
    > very curious as to their flavour and texture. Here's a link for anyone
    > who is interested
    > http://www.store.yahoo.com/evergreenseeds/asbeanyarbea.html

    Those are the ones I got at the Asian market the other month. Tasty,
    ok, nothing I'd pay a premium for.

    maxine in ri

  6. aem

    aem Guest

    James wrote:
    > That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
    > I didn't make it clear.
    >
    > The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
    > half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
    > string beans.

    I've only seen the kind with dark seeds. They can be cut in 2" pieces
    and used in the wonderful Sichuan dry-fried green bean dish that is
    well describe here:

    http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2005/12/19/dry-frying-illustrated/
    -aem