Which yardlong Asparagus bean do you prefer?

James

Guest
I've grown both red seed and black seed. Seems to me the red seedpods
grow old too quickly. The black seed one are more succulent but have
lower yields..

Which taste better?

I am no greenthumb, but the only type of asparagus I've seen are mostly
green and about 6 inches long at the supermarket. I've never seen any
asparagus that are a yard long and red or black. Where can I buy these
type?

That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
I didn't make it clear.

The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
string beans.

James wrote:

> That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
> I didn't make it clear.
>
> The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
> half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
> string beans.

crossposting snipped

I've never seen these but sure would like to try growing them! I'd be
very curious as to their flavour and texture. Here's a link for anyone
who is interested
http://www.store.yahoo.com/evergreenseeds/asbeanyarbea.html

~patches~ wrote:
> James wrote:
>
> > That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
> > I didn't make it clear.
> >
> > The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
> > half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
> > string beans.
> >

> crossposting snipped
>
> I've never seen these but sure would like to try growing them! I'd be
> very curious as to their flavour and texture. Here's a link for anyone
> who is interested
> http://www.store.yahoo.com/evergreenseeds/asbeanyarbea.html

Those are the ones I got at the Asian market the other month. Tasty,
ok, nothing I'd pay a premium for.

maxine in ri

James wrote:
> That's "asparagus BEAN" or "yardlong BEAN". It's not asparagus. Sorry
> I didn't make it clear.
>
> The bean pods can grow a yard long but it's usually harvested maybe
> half that long while still tender. It's eaten like green beans or
> string beans.

I've only seen the kind with dark seeds. They can be cut in 2" pieces
and used in the wonderful Sichuan dry-fried green bean dish that is
well describe here:

http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2005/12/19/dry-frying-illustrated/
-aem