(Patrick Herring) said:I've got a bottle of White Lightening Raceday, with intention to switch over to using it. The
leaflet says I should clean off all the grease/oil/WD40 etc before applying. How serious is that?
Depends if you want it to work or not ;-)
You should in any case not have any WD40 on your drivetrain.
I recommend the Sheldon Shake as per sheldonbrown.comchains.htmlOpen ↗ - I do this, then apply
the WL Raceday. And yes, it's well worth cleaning the cassette and chainrings as well.
I use WL raceday: I top up the lube about once a week, twice in winter. It works for me.
Quoted message said:Do I have to take the block apart to make sure all the teeth are cleaned? What about the grease
inside the chain rollers?
The grease inside the chain rollers is removed using the above technique. The cassette / block can
be cleaned on the wheel using a folded over rag soaked in cleaner to get right into the gaps between
sprockets. Chainrings are always a bugger to get really clean without dismantling the chainset
assembly - which is not possible with cheap ones which are riveted.
Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.ukOpen ↗