On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:10:21 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
"Mike Rice" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Ken M said:And what kind of 'bent is it? And what city do you commute in? Or do
most 'benters relegate the recumbents to fitness / recreational /
touring rides? I was curious because I was thinking that some of the LWB
designs might be a little unsuitable for city traffic.
Ken
I commute 8 months of the year on my Tour Easy LWB recumbent. It's
only six miles each way, and really helps me enjoy the day. I ilve in
a medium sized town (60,000 or so) and have ridden just about every
major road in my county, including the busiest intersection we have,
and at rush hour. I probably should have found an alternate route, but
it was no problem as long as I 'took the lane' when approaching stop
lights. If I was too far to the right at a stop some idiot would pull
up beside me leaving too little room for comfort or safety.
I have mirror-cylcle (sp?) mirrors on both sides and use them
consistantly.
Indiana Mike
Mike my friend,
I too 'took the lane' when necessary. It is why I got hit. I was also
worried about being sideswiped if I was too far to the right. Please be
careful. There are plenty of things that some idiots can do to you when you
take the lane as I can testify. I would think about that alternate route if
I were you. I now know that your feeling of safety is an illusion. In this
country, the more you can stay away from cars, the better. Please learn from
my experience.
Jeff
Thanks for the concern, Jeff.
Let me explain that my version of 'take the lane' involves eye contact
with the driver I will merge in front of, hand signals, and seeing an
acknowledgement from said driver. I am talking about approaching red
lights on very busy state highways with narrow shoulders (usually the
narrow shoulders are only at the light), a situation I sometimes must
deal with as some of my destinations are on said roads. If I do not
see that the driver expects me to merge, then I stay as far to the
right as possible. When I don't get to merge successfully I feel
crowded and definately less safe waiting for the light to change, I
always worry that the car beside me might make an unsignaled left
turn. So I watch the drivers and, more importantly, the front wheels
of the vehicle to make sure my intended path will be safe.
All in all I feel much safer waiting the light as a vehicle in the
line of vehicles than as an extra crammed in beside the line of
vehicles.
Indiana Mike