rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

who has a camelbak?

Started by onelesscar · · Last activity · 38 posts · 691 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
3 July 2006
Last activity
19 July 2006
Original author
onelesscar
Posts
38
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
691
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 38
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I too have been doing more muniing, and the last ride I went on, I felt
    unprepared cause a lot of people had camelbaks, and I had a water
    bottle.

    How many of you guys have camelbaks? If so, which model? I'm looking
    at either the Classic or the Rogue, but they don't have much storage
    space.

    Also, are they a problem to clean out? I used to have something
    similar, but it was a pain to clean out, and it grew nasty stuff in the
    tube...

    --
    onelesscar

    mmm...i love my qu-ax...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  2. I need one, a 3liter size would be good, and i wouldnt need much
    storage, to hold my allen wrench set, and a few snack bars is all i
    need to fit in, but i can easily use my pockets for that, oh, and a
    wrench that I have, which fits all nuts on my uni, so as long as it can
    hold those 3 tiny things, i am good, maybe a patch kit, but those are
    very tiny, specailly the kind I have, all you need to do is buff the
    tire, and put the sticker like patch on it, and its good.

    Ok, so, it would hold 5 little things, allen wrench set, wrench, tire
    sticker thingys that work very well, metal rubber buffer, snack bars.
    =p

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more!~*~
    '!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
    '!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
    My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  3. I own a Magura Green hydration bag, made by Deuter.. But they're pretty
    much the same thing as Camelbak. My bag takes 2 litres which is just
    enough for a day of trials riding. But for long dist. muni, a lil more
    might be necessary.

    [image: http://gcos.nl/newspublisher/upload/2574.jpg]

    Thats what mine is, and its so nice as its so thin and low-profile
    compared to the larger Camelbak/Deuter hydration bags.

    So, get the Classic if you're not gonna do several miles on end.
    Otherwise Rogue.

    Oh yeah and green brakes for those Muni riders if your into that
    stuff...

    --
    Sponge

    Currently learning: how to drop -smoother- SIF 🙄

    MSN: [email hidden] feel free to add, I'm always up for a
    good chat and get to know other unicyclists 🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sponge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11883
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  4. I've got a Camelbak. Never had any trouble with it going manky, but I
    don't ever put anything but water in it. If you put squash or energy
    drink or whatever in them they do need cleaning out afterwards to avoid
    the fungus.

    Mine's a "classic" - 2 litres of water and just enough room for
    emergency tools. I only use it in the summer - if the weather's
    unpredictable, or if I'm commuting, there isn't enough room to carry
    extra clothes and food, so I just use a normal rucksack and a bike
    water bottle. I'm thinking about getting a bigger Camelbak, or making
    a pocket in my rucksack for the Camelbak bladder - stopping to get a
    bottle out is a pain after getting used to the camelbak (but can be a
    good excuse for a rest).

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  5. I've used a normal hiking backpack (a berghaus) which has a hydration
    pocket and tube-hole integrated, so I got a platypus 3 litre water bag
    for snowdon, and use that in it (the pockets are full of tools, wax,
    spare tube, etc, and the main compartment has my water pack and my
    pads/helmet in it, usually). I take that on every trials ride, and on
    extended muni (2 hours +).

    I also recently got a very low profile 2 litre camelbak, with enough
    space for puncture patches, my leatherman crunch and a set of hex
    driver tools (allen + screwdriver heads), which I can use to make
    running repairs or almost any type. It's very useful, and has better
    features and is easier to fill & clean than my original platypus bag. I
    need to find a way of attaching a pump onto it or onto the uni I'm
    riding, I'm thinking jubilee clips onto the frame somewhere would be
    best.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society

    "Come on you target for far away laughter,
    come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
    Floyd
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  6. I have the "cloud walker", which appears to be part water carrier and
    part backpack, marketed towards walkers as opposed to bikers. It has a
    2 litre bladder and plenty of space in the other storage compartments;
    the biggest compartment stretches enough to wedge my bike helmet in
    there, with my wrist-guards tucked into the helmet shell.

    rob.northcott said:

    Never had any trouble with it going manky, but I don't ever put anything
    but water in it. If you put squash or energy drink or whatever in them
    they do need cleaning out afterwards to avoid the fungus.

    I only ever put tap water in mine, but it still didn't stop the mould
    from taking ahold after a few months...

    --
    gkmac

    "It's a marvellous thing to see, someone in full flight on the
    unicycle." - Stuart Maconie, Radio 2
    "Oh no! Both my toes have gone numb!" - Joe Hodges
    "You also met me gk! I was the one eating the sandwich!" - Adam Gayne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  7. I always toss mine back in the freezer when I get back from a ride.
    Not much mold growing in Alaska.

    --
    Trapper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  8. I got a new one recently that's pretty nifty, it's a big-ish bag but the
    big bag zips off to leave a smaller one for smaller rides or doing
    trials.

    One of the biggest bonuses of camelbak type jobby is the protection it
    gives your back.

    for the ride this weekend I'll have two pouches, one filled with water
    and one filled with sports drink and probably an extra bottle too.

    --
    MrBoogiejuice

    ---unicycle for Bilious - The Oh-God of hangovers---
    Make crumbs not War!
    Just blame it on the boogie...
    www.unicyclepics.co.uk Get your pics out!
    Send submissions to [email hidden]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  9. I have got 2. A camelbak called 'Magic' (for ladies) which has a 2 liter
    water bladder and enough room for some odds and ends in the pockets.
    And a small bumbag ([censored] pack) type that I use if I'm just doing my
    regular 4 - 12 mile rides along the prom. That has only about 1 litre
    of water and just enough room for my mobile phone, front door key and
    GPS unit.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  10. I'm going to buy one🙂

    --
    Job

    'My Unicycle Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/ndro5)

    Quoted message said:

    <>UNICYCLING FOR FUN<><


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Job's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11945
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  11. Camelbak does sell tablets for cleaning the bacteria out, others have
    used denture cleaner. I have a HAWG, MULE and classic, mostly using
    the HAWG (3L).

    --
    Dirtsurfer

    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
    Gandalf the gray
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  12. You may want to get one of the newer ones that have a zipper access to
    the bladder without removing it from the pack to refill it. Get one
    with a large opening so you can clean it easliy and with a wide mouth
    you can also put ice cubes inside. we used to just freeze the water in
    the bladder but that was recently identified as a cancer concern.

    I tend to ride with a small waist pack because I don't like the
    backpack straps when I am riding. Also, I don't enjoy sucking water
    from a tube so my waistpack has a couple of water bottles on the sides.

    Walmart ws selling an inexpensive waistpack that works well for about
    $10 in the sporting goods section and the wide mouth waterbottles alone
    were worth that. Might not be best for Muni, but I mostly ride
    distance.

    Carey

    --
    Carey
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Carey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9910
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  13. How did you go from none to seeing some without enough storeage room? I
    have several sizes, but the one used the most for Muni has been my
    smallest one - Camelbak Rocket. It has a 72 oz bladder and just enough
    storage for a CO pump, patches, sanitary pads (to stop bleeding),
    energy bars, compass, trail map, phone, and a couple of squares of TP
    (don't use leaves of 3!). During the 12 Miles of Hell MTB race (by the
    way it was 17 miles this year) I didn't take the first aid, comfort, or
    map stuff, and there is still room in the pack for a Platypus bottle
    which is a light collapsible bottle that boosts my water total to 104
    oz. Here is a photo a biker took during the event, and the pack is not
    that big, for you have to remember there is something to be said for
    light and fast.... http://tinyurl.com/rx6kk

    --
    b2bivy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    b2bivy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11281
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  14. i have 2 camelbaks! a camelbak Classic and a camelbak Mule.

    --
    musketman

    MUSKETMAN

    www.unicycle.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  15. I have to camelbacks to.

    I got a camelback Mule for hiking,
    and a camelback MiniMule for uniing.

    I'm so little I ca't use the normal Mule for uniing.

    --
    mornish

    Quoted message said:

    <>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

    "LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
    "CX seats are bricks."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mornish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  16. onelesscar said:

    I too have been doing more muniing, and the last ride I went on, I felt
    unprepared cause a lot of people had camelbaks, and I had a water
    bottle.

    How many of you guys have camelbaks? If so, which model? I'm looking
    at either the Classic or the Rogue, but they don't have much storage
    space.

    Also, are they a problem to clean out? I used to have something
    similar, but it was a pain to clean out, and it grew nasty stuff in the
    tube...

    I have the rouge-much better than classic! It has a pump-port and it
    also has some extra storage, but it's still small and light. Carries
    same water as classic-70 oz. I also have the "blowfish". Holds 100 oz.
    For longer rides.

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    *My Video Gallery*: http://tinyurl.com/e6wt5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  17. i have one, not sure what one it is, but i rarly use it..

    --
    irvinegr

    Check out my SWEET movies!!! http://tinyurl.com/cr7fu
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    irvinegr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10958
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  18. http://tinyurl.com/zgzg5

    I just got this one as a graduation gift, I have started using it on my
    street rides and I really like it. It doesn't bounce around on your
    back like other packs may, and it has pockets for other [censored] aswell. I
    was riding the other day with 2L of water in it aswell as some tools,
    some pens, a cell phone and a couple other things, and I didn't have
    any problems at all. I had a bit of trouble getting them in but once
    they were in I was dandy.

    --
    ntappin
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  19. I wear my Camelbak everywhere I go, it hold all my junk and is awesome
    for long rides. I hope that someday there will be a 5 litre resevoir to
    replace my 3 litre.

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    Ah munna ee choo!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Catboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2042
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

  20. I use an EMS small daypack/hydration pack with a nalgene reservoir I
    picked up after the platypus bladder it came with died on me.

    It is also my pack for biking and commuting. The two small pockets on
    the outside hold a light kit, multi-tool, pump, patch kit and irons,
    computer when I'm off the bike, and a spare tube. The main compartment
    holds my lock and a cloth bag that other small stuff (mp3 player,
    wallet, phone, car keys, etc.) go into when I ride. I hate riding with
    stuff in my pockets. The bladder is a 3L version.

    I've also used this pack with just the bladder when I was training for
    a marathon (20 mile runs in hot weather). I can empty the bladder over
    the course of a run like that pretty easily.

    I'm just getting used to it on the uni but it doesn't seem to affect my
    balance much, even when loaded and with a full bladder. Can some math
    whiz figure out about how much you raise your center of gravity when
    you put 3L of water on your back?

    --
    mboulanger
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mboulanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9642
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/50849

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.