Who, or what is a "Fred"?

Sco++

Feb 18, 2005
I've been told at my LBS that the bike chain grease imprints I invariably get on my legs or arms are referred to as "Freds".

I also have read somewhere that the name "Fred" is some kind of disparaging reference to a form of geek on a bike (as opposed to a "bike geek"??!??!). Is this so?

Can any bike culture linguists clarify this for me? Thanks.

I have never heard of the grease marks.

Culturally, a fred is a dork or geek. Socially inept.

A "Fred" is a degrogatory term that a racing type of cyclist might use to refer to a tourist type of cyclist indentified by the dentist mirror on the helmet and the handlebar bag rolling along at 16 mph and turning the pedals at 60 rpm. Freds are actually very nice people and the kind of cyclist who call them Freds are stuck up snots.

EL34 said:
A "Fred" is a degrogatory term that a racing type of cyclist might use to refer to a tourist type of cyclist indentified by the dentist mirror on the helmet and the handlebar bag rolling along at 16 mph and turning the pedals at 60 rpm. Freds are actually very nice people and the kind of cyclist who call them Freds are stuck up snots.
So, on the one hand anyone who does not make their living riding a bicycle (including paper boys/girls) could be a "Fred"...

While, on the other hand, given the total lack of social skills exhibited by some professional riders, these people, too, could be considered "Freds".

Does this mean all of us riders, at one time or another, could be considered "Freds"?

the origin of fred, he would tag along with the local pro1/2 training rides and became strong enough to hang. he could not be shook. there was an image problem, though. he did not sport all the tourist type imagery as related often.
but he did not shower between rides. he had road rash and would ride with shorts and jerseys that had embarrassingly revealing crash damage.
his wheels were bent and his back axle was broke, the wheel sat crooked in the frame but he still hung. from crashing, one lever snapped off and he put a downtube lever on that side and still rode.
he should have got stitches but did not and showed up the next day blak and blue.
the tape on his bars was streaming loose on both sides and he appeared oblivious.
good wheel to be on for a time, anyway.
he really bothered the locals because he cared not for sitting in, would attack solo in headwinds and never get on the wheel of an attacking rider, but only ride alongside.
the ride location had to be changed three times to lose the guy.

Sco++ said:
I've been told at my LBS that the bike chain grease imprints I invariably get on my legs or arms are referred to as "Freds".

I also have read somewhere that the name "Fred" is some kind of disparaging reference to a form of geek on a bike (as opposed to a "bike geek"??!??!). Is this so?

Can any bike culture linguists clarify this for me? Thanks.

hey, i'm a postman and ride a bike as part of my duty. Does that make me a Fred?

I've never heard of chainring tattoos as 'Freds' but having them does tend to correspond to being somewhat novice. A Fred is bike-snob terminology for a cyclist who's geekish for some reason. A postman who rides daily??...not a Fred, that's pretty cool.

Anymore it seems that MTBers who ride the road with some of their MTB paraphenalia are the new freds. You've seen them- riding a nice racing bike with a camelback and visored helmet, or the only full-fingered AXO gloves in the paceline. They tend to NOT shave their legs, and seem to relish their scar tissue. They're good riders, to be sure, but their lower cadence/bigger gear riding style together with their choice of apparell/accutrements tend to set the hardcore roadies on their collective ear.
Many of us are freds without knowing it. Maybe we need a new thread- Fred's Anonymous-"Hi, my name's Tom...and I...I...I'm a...fred":D

Hypnospin said:
the origin of fred, he would tag along with the local pro1/2 training rides and became strong enough to hang. he could not be shook. there was an image problem, though. he did not sport all the tourist type imagery as related often.
but he did not shower between rides. he had road rash and would ride with shorts and jerseys that had embarrassingly revealing crash damage.
his wheels were bent and his back axle was broke, the wheel sat crooked in the frame but he still hung. from crashing, one lever snapped off and he put a downtube lever on that side and still rode.
he should have got stitches but did not and showed up the next day blak and blue.
the tape on his bars was streaming loose on both sides and he appeared oblivious.
he really bothered the locals because he cared not for sitting in, would attack solo in headwinds and never get on the wheel of an attacking rider, but only ride alongside.

WE have a guy like this on my Tuesday and Thursday speed rides. He is a kid about 20 years old I guess, has a entry level Mtn bike, and no gear. He rides with jean shorts, a t-shirt, and sans helmet (they are very expensive in Brazil). He is immensely strong and can keep up with us except when we really hammer on a slight downhill of the circuit where he just doesn't have the gearing. He rides with knobbies even. Roadies are snobby everywhere, and these Brazilian guys are no different. They do anything they can to make him feel unwelcome (except change the ride since it really is the only safe circuit to ride). I told him one day, if he gets himself a set of slicks and an 11 on the back, he could hang with us the whole way, he said he can't afford it (let alone a real road bike). Of course now I am questionable because I am nice to the FRED. He is so talented naturally and perhaps that is why they snub him, or maybe he didn't go to the right university (or at all), but I imagine it is only because of his dress and bike. Sad really.

ahh, yes reminds me of the guy who would join the break in the local, noon race simulation circuit (anyone remember mission college circle of death?)
he had an mtb and wore overalls. discussing it with a team mate, i asked if he was a racer in disguise or some unique individual. the reply, "don't know, but he gets in the break"

wilmar13 said:
WE have a guy like this on my Tuesday and Thursday speed rides. He is a kid about 20 years old I guess, has a entry level Mtn bike, and no gear. He rides with jean shorts, a t-shirt, and sans helmet (they are very expensive in Brazil). He is immensely strong and can keep up with us except when we really hammer on a slight downhill of the circuit where he just doesn't have the gearing. He rides with knobbies even. Roadies are snobby everywhere, and these Brazilian guys are no different. They do anything they can to make him feel unwelcome (except change the ride since it really is the only safe circuit to ride). I told him one day, if he gets himself a set of slicks and an 11 on the back, he could hang with us the whole way, he said he can't afford it (let alone a real road bike). Of course now I am questionable because I am nice to the FRED. He is so talented naturally and perhaps that is why they snub him, or maybe he didn't go to the right university (or at all), but I imagine it is only because of his dress and bike. Sad really.

Hypnospin said:
ahh, yes reminds me of the guy who would join the break in the local, noon race simulation circuit (anyone remember mission college circle of death?)
he had an mtb and wore overalls. discussing it with a team mate, i asked if he was a racer in disguise or some unique individual. the reply, "don't know, but he gets in the break"
Used to work on Mission College circle... unfortunately before I got into road... but remember some crazy riding. :D

Hypnospin said:

Sounds like me ... but I shower between rides.

Pete

RC2 said:
I've never heard of chainring tattoos as 'Freds' but having them does tend to correspond to being somewhat novice. A Fred is bike-snob terminology for a cyclist who's geekish for some reason.
Haha, I think I have permanent chain ring tatoos on my legs. I probably get them once every other week. As the years have gone by they are smaller they used to be at least.

And what's with a roadie calling anyone a geek based on looks? I'd think jeans and a T-shirt would look less "geek" than the get-up the roadies wear :D

On distance tours in a small town at a convenience store I've had some pretty funny comments from the locals about my biking shorts and girlie biking shoes. I suppose I better stay out of the deep south or I'll be found swinging from a tree! :eek:

Why does having a visor on your helmet make it a MTB helmet? Seems to me it's more useful for road riding anyway, since you're in the sun more than if you were on some back trail.

JJakucyk said:
Why does having a visor on your helmet make it a MTB helmet? Seems to me it's more useful for road riding anyway, since you're in the sun more than if you were on some back trail.

Maybe thinking the visor's purpose is to block the sun makes you a Fred... :D j/k. Maybe it is, but my understanding is that it is used to keep dirt and stuff out of your face.

wilmar13 said:
Maybe thinking the visor's purpose is to block the sun makes you a Fred... :D j/k. Maybe it is, but my understanding is that it is used to keep dirt and stuff out of your face.

I've never seen it called anything but a sun visor, and how would it keep dirt out of your face anyway?

JJakucyk said:
I've never seen it called anything but a sun visor, and how would it keep dirt out of your face anyway?
You are probably right. I was basing my statement on my personal experience in thick east coast single track, where there is no sun through the trees, and the visor is handy for blocking brush, and mud flung from the tires, but not much else. Also I was PBC (posting before coffee). :eek:

Oh dear. I wear Mtn Bike shoes (so I can walk) and a visored helmet (for the sun). I am a Fred-ette! I have been told by my Bike Store guy that camelbaks, even if they are very minimalist, are very uncool among roadies. 2 water bottles, that is the only alternative, apparently. I told Pedro that I would be sure to not embarrass him if we were ever out together, but in 90 degree heat, riding for hours on end, I would rather be uncool and hydrated.

Lyz2814 said:
Oh dear. I wear Mtn Bike shoes (so I can walk) and a visored helmet (for the sun). I am a Fred-ette! I have been told by my Bike Store guy that camelbaks, even if they are very minimalist, are very uncool among roadies. 2 water bottles, that is the only alternative, apparently. I told Pedro that I would be sure to not embarrass him if we were ever out together, but in 90 degree heat, riding for hours on end, I would rather be uncool and hydrated.
I agree whole heartedly, especially on the Helmet and the camelback. I've found with a visor I can wear lighter shaded glasses and my terribly nearsighted/astigmatic eyes can adjust from light to shaded areas more quickly. Here just about every summertime ride ends with the temp over 100f thats over 40c to all the metric types, making the camelback all the more important.

Plus with the visor I don't need to put sunscreen on my face. It'd probably wash off from sweat anyway.