Whoa.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Squid-In-Traini, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise... I
    never thought it'd get this high this early in the auction...

    FYI, my bike-clueless dad bought this monstrosity. I tried to pick it up for the picture and I
    thought it was caught on the bike behind it... no, no, this thing weighs about 55 pounds...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training thoughtfully penned:
    > In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise... I
    > never thought it'd get this high this early in the auction...
    >
    > FYI, my bike-clueless dad bought this monstrosity. I tried to pick it up for the picture and I
    > thought it was caught on the bike behind
    > it... no, no, this thing weighs about 55 pounds...
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000

    hehe, nice write up. "downhilling like the pros on TV with its probable 5 inches of travel,"
    you're funny.

    Penny

  3. Phil says:

    >In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise..

    <snip>

    >this thing weighs about 55 pounds...
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000

    Phil, Phil, Phil - it doesn't matter how much steak sauce ya put on it, Spam is still Spam.....

    ;-)

    Good job. Betcha it goes over $50 before it's through.....

    Steve

  4. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise... I
    > never thought it'd get this high this early in the auction...
    >
    > FYI, my bike-clueless dad bought this monstrosity. I tried to pick it up for the picture and I
    > thought it was caught on the bike behind it... no,
    no,
    > this thing weighs about 55 pounds...
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    And how can you live with yourself with that shameless description?

    "It's got a full suspension so you can tear up the trail with minimal feedback from bumps and roots"
    "when you go freeriding or downhilling like the pros on TV" "Why bother paying $500 for a mountain
    bike when you can get this one for the low price of only $9.99???"

    Better to drop it off at the local Goodwill. Let some kid who would otherwise have no bike ride,
    instead of a cleless ebayer with too much time on his hands.

    Pete

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    You need a job in marketing!

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise... I
    > never thought it'd get this high this early in the auction...
    >
    > FYI, my bike-clueless dad bought this monstrosity. I tried to pick it up for the picture and I
    > thought it was caught on the bike behind it... no,
    no,
    > this thing weighs about 55 pounds...
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > You need a job in marketing!

    Not with an alloy count of *zero*! ;)

  7. Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise... I
    > never thought it'd get this high this early in the auction...
    >
    > FYI, my bike-clueless dad bought this monstrosity. I tried to pick it up for the picture and I
    > thought it was caught on the bike behind
    > it... no, no, this thing weighs about 55 pounds...
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000

    The current winning bidders handle is IROCZ90... that is so boss!

    C.

  8. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > And how can you live with yourself with that shameless description?
    >
    > Better to drop it off at the local Goodwill. Let some kid who would otherwise have no bike ride,
    > instead of a cleless ebayer with too much
    time
    > on his hands.
    >
    > Pete

    Hear, hear!

    I think even the most clueless ebayer would be cautious after reading your advertisement. I mean,
    we're talking about outright lies here aren't we? LOL--the description goes against everything this
    NG stands for!

    -John Morgan

  9. "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:JcRJa.78971$%[email protected]...
    > > And how can you live with yourself with that shameless description?
    > >
    > > Better to drop it off at the local Goodwill. Let some kid who would otherwise have no bike ride,
    > > instead of a cleless ebayer with too much
    > time
    > > on his hands.
    > >
    > > Pete
    >
    > Hear, hear!
    >
    > I think even the most clueless ebayer would be cautious after reading your advertisement. I mean,
    > we're talking about outright lies here aren't we? LOL--the description goes against everything
    > this NG stands for!

    It's not about the bike, it's the rider!!!

    In all seriousness, I have $68 left in the bank and $8 in cash. There's no way in hell I'm going to
    ask my parents for money, because that's grubbing and I don't do that. I can sell their crap lying
    around... my mom loves that I'm doing it.

    In case any of you didn't know, Asian parents tend to keep EVERYTHING. My home is a veritable trash
    dump of old electronics, computers, boxes, crap, more crap, and utter crap. They won't let me throw
    it away, but if I try to sell it, they'll say, "Who's gonna buy that?" I say, "Watch me." I sold one
    of their old cell phones for $50, cracked face and everything. They just have little faith in me and
    assume the worst. Actually that's often an first-generation Asian trait too.

    I have a job now, but it pays in lump sum. I get paid next month and I need something to tide me
    over. There is SO much to sell... once I'm done with school I can go all-out hardcore eBaying.

    So yes, I could Goodwill this, but this bike is brand-new. There isn't even any rust on it, and
    there's only one "alloy" and that's the rims.

    As former/current students, I know that you all know the money crunch situation. Do what you
    can, you know?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    <snip plea bargain>
    > As former/current students, I know that you all know the money crunch situation. Do what you can,
    > you know?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Okay okay, you've made your case. The jury is still out on this, though. You've made your motives
    clear, but they question your methods. Seems to me you could sell the bike just as well by
    describing it a little more realistically. It would be absurd to push the issue much further in this
    thread, so I suppose you'll have to learn the perils of ebayer hell on your own.

    -John Morgan

  11. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:06:37 -0700, "John Morgan" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    ><snip plea bargain>
    >> As former/current students, I know that you all know the money crunch situation. Do what you can,
    >> you know?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >
    >Okay okay, you've made your case. The jury is still out on this, though. You've made your motives
    >clear, but they question your methods. Seems to me you could sell the bike just as well by
    >describing it a little more realistically. It would be absurd to push the issue much further in
    >this thread, so I suppose you'll have to learn the perils of ebayer hell on your own.
    >
    >-John Morgan

    I think it's just a good old fashioned case of stretched descriptions by way of overzealously witty
    personality. :)

    No harm in having a little fun with things, even if it's something as mundane as a slightly skewed
    eBay description.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  12. Ah man !, thanks for posting that auction here, now I'll no chance of picking up my dream
    "Huffy" : (

    I was intending to fly over to the USA to pick it up too, but my personal flying pig is in for
    servicing at the shop.

    Thanks for nothing, my life will have to begin again, tomorrow.

    --
    Tony

    [email protected]

    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º

  13. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:

    > In my attempt to clean out the garage of $hit, I put this bike on eBay and what a surprise... I
    > never thought it'd get this high this early in the auction...
    >
    > FYI, my bike-clueless dad bought this monstrosity. I tried to pick it up for the picture and I
    > thought it was caught on the bike behind it... no, no, this thing weighs about 55 pounds...
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3614742000
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Let's take up a collection, make the high bid, send Squiddy the money so he can throw it in
    the ocean.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-