General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Whole Foods trip (long)

Started by Nancy Young · · Last activity · 12 posts · 300 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 September 2005
Last activity
23 September 2005
Original author
Nancy Young
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
300
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I had a lot of fun there, I'll be back soon. My first mistake was
    wearing shorts and a tshirt. What was I thinking? I mean, just
    because it's about 80 and sunny outside, really. The store is
    *freezing* cold, my teeth were almost chattering, no lie. For
    this reason I didn't get to shop as long as I wanted to check
    everything out. Don't worry, I saw plenty!

    The produce department was so nice looking, it was fun the way
    they displayed the vegetables. A work of art. Well, I didn't get
    anything there thinking, I'll swing back around and get a few things,
    right now let me get out of the cold aisle.

    Hah, the joke was on me, the entire store was bone chilling. Okay,
    I still managed to get a bunch of stuff. Of course I saw the bulk
    foods, I was intrigued that you put a long thin bag under the shoot
    and the stuff came out that way, I didn't have to dig around with a
    scoop, most of the stuff. And what a selection! I could have gone
    nuts, but I was pacing myself. Getting the lay of the land, so to
    speak.

    Man, stay away from the baby food aisle, those moms are serious
    label readers. Hard to get through. Saw the wine section right in
    the middle of the store, looked very nice and well stocked.

    The prepared foods section was outstanding, I wanted to get some
    of everything. I did get some Asian chicken wings from the help
    yourself Chinese food section, they also had an Indian food section.
    The sushi looked very good, the salads and on and on, I could
    easily buy dinner there anytime. I'm not much for prepared food
    from the supermarket, this was *different* ... very appetizing.

    I had a major brain cramp when I saw they had some cornbread
    there for sale, I bought some just for Jill, and it completely
    escaped me that it was there with the soup!! I wanted to buy
    soup! especially the lobster bisque if they had it today. Darn it.
    No soup for me.

    Got a rotisserie chicken. I happen to harbor a real dislike of the
    rotisserie chickens you find in the supermarket, dry as dust and
    just nothing to recommend it. They should take those things from
    my store and shore up the NO levees, no water would get past
    them, just a giant sucking noise and no more gulf of mexico.

    Holy crow, they had boxed up rotisserie chickens, they were
    gorgeous. Bell & Evans chickens, I got the lemon pepper. It's
    half gone already. Normally I don't buy precooked chicken, I
    can make that myself, no problem, but this thing is just delicious.

    Of course got some mixed olives, but it wasn't an olive bar, they
    were packaged up in tubs. I had some of those, very good.

    The cheeses ... I just got a little piece, I really didn't want to wind
    up with tons of stuff that might get forgotten and go bad. I then
    got greek yogurt, some sour cream, some lemonade.

    The meat section, mommy! Man, everything looked fabulous. I
    could spend serious money there. They had these kabobs that
    looked to be to die for. I was very good, I'll get some next time
    I go. I just got a couple of chicken sausages with vegetables.
    To try.

    The bakery section I didn't look at much, I knew I would be way
    too tempted to get something I didn't need. Still got a container
    of cookies. Also, they had a bunch of plastic wrapped chocolate,
    the good stuff. I took it from the sizes and shapes that it's the odd
    ends and pieces from their baking operation. Next time I will pick
    some up. For sure.

    Fish counter looked awesome, I just wasn't in the mood for fish
    today. I will most assuredly buy my fish there from now on.

    I got a nice bamboo cutting board, that little size that I want when
    I just want to cut up a couple of lemons, or a french bread pizza,
    like that. 13 bucks, not bad at all.

    Also, I noticed they had a place up front where you could sit and
    eat your food, like someone said about the salad bar. Very nice.

    Yes, even with the $10 coupon, I managed to spend over 70, even
    with my admirable restraint. I had a very nice time, I'll shall return,
    next time dressed appropriately. Like in a parka!

    nancy

  2. One time on Usenet said:

    I had a lot of fun there, I'll be back soon. My first mistake was
    wearing shorts and a tshirt. What was I thinking? I mean, just
    because it's about 80 and sunny outside, really. The store is
    *freezing* cold, my teeth were almost chattering, no lie. For
    this reason I didn't get to shop as long as I wanted to check
    everything out. Don't worry, I saw plenty!

    <snip>

    Great story, Nancy! I wish we had a Whole Foods in WA that's closer
    than Bellevue (east of Seattle), as I never visit there. On occasion,
    I do hit Sunny Farms in Sequim:

    http://www.nnfa-northwest.com/Retailpix/sunny_farms.html

    And it's cold there too! :-)

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook ~

  3. Nancy Young said:

    I had a lot of fun there, I'll be back soon. My first mistake was
    wearing shorts and a tshirt. What was I thinking? I mean, just
    because it's about 80 and sunny outside, really. The store is
    *freezing* cold, my teeth were almost chattering, no lie. I'll
    shall return, next time dressed appropriately. Like in a parka!

    Darn, and I love to hang out in the fridge aisles, lurking for gals in
    filmy tees... some of em can poke an eye out with those things! hehe

    Sheldon

  4. Nancy Young said:

    I had a major brain cramp when I saw they had some cornbread
    there for sale, I bought some just for Jill, and it completely
    escaped me that it was there with the soup!! I wanted to buy
    soup! especially the lobster bisque if they had it today. Darn it.
    No soup for me.

    nancy

    No SOUP for you! Please tell me they didn't use Jiffy Mix to make the
    cornbread!

    Jill

  5. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    I had a major brain cramp when I saw they had some cornbread
    there for sale, I bought some just for Jill, and it completely
    escaped me that it was there with the soup!! I wanted to buy
    soup! especially the lobster bisque if they had it today. Darn it.
    No soup for me.

    Quoted message said:

    No SOUP for you! Please tell me they didn't use Jiffy Mix to make the
    cornbread!

    Heh ... I don't think so. It is smoother and lighter than other cornbread
    I've had. It's tasty, but I prefer the 'crunchier' texture. I don't think
    it's
    especially sweet, either.

    By the way, I got a new kind of cornbread mix, it's not Jiffy, they didn't
    have any. It's Glory something brand. Guess I'll make it up one of
    these days. Maybe with chili.

    nancy

  6. Sheldon said:

    Darn, and I love to hang out in the fridge aisles, lurking for gals in
    filmy tees... some of em can poke an eye out with those things! hehe

    Think "shrinkage," Sheldon.

  7. Sheldon said:

    Darn, and I love to hang out in the fridge aisles, lurking for gals in
    filmy tees... some of em can poke an eye out with those things! hehe

    Think "shrinkage," Sheldon.

  8. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The prepared foods section was outstanding, I wanted to get some
    of everything. I did get some Asian chicken wings from the help
    yourself Chinese food section, they also had an Indian food section.

    Wow, our Whole Foods markets don't have a self-serve Chinese or Indian
    food section. That would be great!! One thing about their salads -- I
    find that their beans and legumes are not cooked enough for my taste
    (but I'm used to canned beans...perhaps people who are used to cooking
    dried beans prefer them al dente). Sometimes their stuff needs an extra
    sprinkle of salt or squeeze of lemon, but that's ok.

    My husband bought some dry-aged steaks there recently, and loved them.

    What a complete report, Nancy! Fun to read.

    Chris

  9. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The prepared foods section was outstanding, I wanted to get some
    of everything. I did get some Asian chicken wings from the help
    yourself Chinese food section, they also had an Indian food section.

    Wow, our Whole Foods markets don't have a self-serve Chinese or Indian
    food section. That would be great!! One thing about their salads -- I
    find that their beans and legumes are not cooked enough for my taste
    (but I'm used to canned beans...perhaps people who are used to cooking
    dried beans prefer them al dente). Sometimes their stuff needs an extra
    sprinkle of salt or squeeze of lemon, but that's ok.

    My husband bought some dry-aged steaks there recently, and loved them.

    What a complete report, Nancy! Fun to read.

    Chris

  10. You got out for under $100.00. ;-)
    I'm impressed...

    If you visit the bakery section again, DO try the lemon
    pound cake! It's to die for...

    Cheers!

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    I had a lot of fun there, I'll be back soon. My first mistake was
    wearing shorts and a tshirt. What was I thinking? I mean, just
    because it's about 80 and sunny outside, really. The store is
    *freezing* cold, my teeth were almost chattering, no lie. For
    this reason I didn't get to shop as long as I wanted to check
    everything out. Don't worry, I saw plenty!

    The produce department was so nice looking, it was fun the way
    they displayed the vegetables. A work of art. Well, I didn't get
    anything there thinking, I'll swing back around and get a few things,
    right now let me get out of the cold aisle.

    Hah, the joke was on me, the entire store was bone chilling. Okay,
    I still managed to get a bunch of stuff. Of course I saw the bulk
    foods, I was intrigued that you put a long thin bag under the shoot
    and the stuff came out that way, I didn't have to dig around with a
    scoop, most of the stuff. And what a selection! I could have gone
    nuts, but I was pacing myself. Getting the lay of the land, so to
    speak.

    Man, stay away from the baby food aisle, those moms are serious
    label readers. Hard to get through. Saw the wine section right in
    the middle of the store, looked very nice and well stocked.

    The prepared foods section was outstanding, I wanted to get some
    of everything. I did get some Asian chicken wings from the help
    yourself Chinese food section, they also had an Indian food section.
    The sushi looked very good, the salads and on and on, I could
    easily buy dinner there anytime. I'm not much for prepared food
    from the supermarket, this was *different* ... very appetizing.

    I had a major brain cramp when I saw they had some cornbread
    there for sale, I bought some just for Jill, and it completely
    escaped me that it was there with the soup!! I wanted to buy
    soup! especially the lobster bisque if they had it today. Darn it.
    No soup for me.

    Got a rotisserie chicken. I happen to harbor a real dislike of the
    rotisserie chickens you find in the supermarket, dry as dust and
    just nothing to recommend it. They should take those things from
    my store and shore up the NO levees, no water would get past
    them, just a giant sucking noise and no more gulf of mexico.

    Holy crow, they had boxed up rotisserie chickens, they were
    gorgeous. Bell & Evans chickens, I got the lemon pepper. It's
    half gone already. Normally I don't buy precooked chicken, I
    can make that myself, no problem, but this thing is just delicious.

    Of course got some mixed olives, but it wasn't an olive bar, they
    were packaged up in tubs. I had some of those, very good.

    The cheeses ... I just got a little piece, I really didn't want to wind
    up with tons of stuff that might get forgotten and go bad. I then
    got greek yogurt, some sour cream, some lemonade.

    The meat section, mommy! Man, everything looked fabulous. I
    could spend serious money there. They had these kabobs that
    looked to be to die for. I was very good, I'll get some next time
    I go. I just got a couple of chicken sausages with vegetables.
    To try.

    The bakery section I didn't look at much, I knew I would be way
    too tempted to get something I didn't need. Still got a container
    of cookies. Also, they had a bunch of plastic wrapped chocolate,
    the good stuff. I took it from the sizes and shapes that it's the odd
    ends and pieces from their baking operation. Next time I will pick
    some up. For sure.

    Fish counter looked awesome, I just wasn't in the mood for fish
    today. I will most assuredly buy my fish there from now on.

    I got a nice bamboo cutting board, that little size that I want when
    I just want to cut up a couple of lemons, or a french bread pizza,
    like that. 13 bucks, not bad at all.

    Also, I noticed they had a place up front where you could sit and
    eat your food, like someone said about the salad bar. Very nice.

    Yes, even with the $10 coupon, I managed to spend over 70, even
    with my admirable restraint. I had a very nice time, I'll shall return,
    next time dressed appropriately. Like in a parka!

    nancy


    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    I had a lot of fun there, I'll be back soon. My first mistake was
    wearing shorts and a tshirt. What was I thinking? I mean, just
    because it's about 80 and sunny outside, really. The store is
    *freezing* cold, my teeth were almost chattering, no lie. For
    this reason I didn't get to shop as long as I wanted to check
    everything out. Don't worry, I saw plenty!

    I shop at a Whole Foods store about twice a month. Those precooked Bell
    & Evans chickens are awesome, but they are expensive too. The ShopRite
    in Cherry Hill has delicious whole cooked chickens for about half the
    price as the Whole Foods' chickens and they aren't dry at all.

    If you go there on a weekend afternoon, or sometimes around 5:00pm on a
    weekday, they sometimes give out samples of food. That's my favorite
    time to visit Whole Foods!

    There's a Wegman's supermarket that will open in a few months very close
    to my apartment. I can't wait for that store to open. Wegman's makes
    Whole Foods like anemic! If you haven't shopped at a Wegman's, you
    should definitely check them out if they have a store near you.

  12. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    I had a lot of fun there, I'll be back soon.

    Quoted message said:

    I shop at a Whole Foods store about twice a month. Those precooked Bell
    & Evans chickens are awesome, but they are expensive too. The ShopRite
    in Cherry Hill has delicious whole cooked chickens for about half the
    price as the Whole Foods' chickens and they aren't dry at all.

    Funny, last one I had before yesterday was purchased at a Shoprite, it
    was horribly dry. I'm not saying that to be a pain, it's just the luck of
    the
    draw ... store to store they're all different.

    Now than you mention it, I've kinda thought, let me grab a chicken for
    dinner (raw) and I wind up taking a pass ... the young chickens, not even
    oven stuffer, are over 6 bucks. I think that's a lot. The chicken I got
    cooked from Whole Foods was 7 something. I remember thinking not
    a bad price. That was pretty much how it was, anyway, at Whole Foods,
    some things were surprisingly reasonable, and others I thought too much.

    But, yeah, I'm under no delusions it's not pricy.

    Quoted message said:

    There's a Wegman's supermarket that will open in a few months very close
    to my apartment. I can't wait for that store to open. Wegman's makes
    Whole Foods like anemic! If you haven't shopped at a Wegman's, you
    should definitely check them out if they have a store near you.

    Yeah, I went over there a year or two ago? it was awesome. I wouldn't
    describe it as being close to me, maybe a half hour. Haven't gotten back
    there, not because I haven't wanted to. Another fun place. I bet they'll
    have a lot of free samples and stuff when they open.

    nancy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.