Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Why are Cannondale welds so smooth?

Started by Gooserider · · Last activity · 40 posts · 1,998 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 August 2005
Last activity
22 August 2005
Original author
Gooserider
Posts
40
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,998
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 40
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Guess the subject header says it all. I went to my LBS and saw a Cannondale
    on the used rack. I checked the welds, and they were so smooth it almost
    appeared monocoque. How does Cannondale do it? They're a lot neater than the
    aluminum welds I've seen on other makers.

  2. They *dress* the welds and remove material from the joints so they
    appear smooth.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They *dress* the welds and remove material from the joints so they
    appear smooth.

    How do they "dress" the welds, and does it serve any purpose other than
    cosmetic? It sure looks nice.

  4. Quoted message said:

    They *dress* the welds and remove material from the joints so they
    appear smooth.


    yes, they grind them down.

  5. Gooserider said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They *dress* the welds and remove material from the joints so they
    appear smooth.

    How do they "dress" the welds, and does it serve any purpose other than
    cosmetic? It sure looks nice.


    potentially, it can reduce stress risers, but otoh, the degree of gross
    material removal can work the other way... i think it's mainly cosmetic.

  6. Gooserider said:

    Guess the subject header says it all. I went to my LBS and saw a Cannondale
    on the used rack. I checked the welds, and they were so smooth it almost
    appeared monocoque. How does Cannondale do it? They're a lot neater than the
    aluminum welds I've seen on other makers.

    The welds start out just as rippled as any other, but theirs get
    polished. The technique is neither new nor exotic, it's just
    expensive...but as common as roaches in the kitchen equipment trades,
    where my nephew does a lof fabrication that involves just that
    treatment on the welds.

    To make it work well and easily, a slightly greater rate of deposition
    during the weld can be helpful, of course.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. Gooserider said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    They *dress* the welds and remove material from the joints so they
    appear smooth.

    How do they "dress" the welds, and does it serve any purpose other than
    cosmetic? It sure looks nice.

    Sanding and buffing. Aluminum is the easiest common structural metal
    to do that with.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  8. Gooserider said:


    Quoted message said:


    They *dress* the welds and remove material from the joints so they
    appear smooth.

    How do they "dress" the welds, and does it serve any purpose other than
    cosmetic? It sure looks nice.

    I understand they use Dynafile miniature belt sanders to smooth the
    welds by hand. The double-pass welds are also performed by hand,
    though the tubes are cut to length and mitered by CNC laser.

    http://www.dynabrade.com/cgi-bin/Industrial/11000

    Cannondale make some vague assertions that their hand-shaped joints
    minimize stress risers, but how much they really help is anybody's
    guess. They can't hurt-- unless the original tubing wall is
    compromised in the process.

    Chalo Colina

  9. Gooserider said:

    Guess the subject header says it all. I went to my LBS and saw a Cannondale
    on the used rack. I checked the welds, and they were so smooth it almost
    appeared monocoque. How does Cannondale do it? They're a lot neater than the
    aluminum welds I've seen on other makers.

    My smooth welded Cannondale was just stolen 3 weeks ago. Are you in
    Toronto?

    Cam

  10. Cannondale files them down.

    However, I have heard that Klein bikes also achieve the same appearance
    without the use of the dynafile. Anyone know how Klein achieves this?

    Claude

  11. Maybe Bondo?

    C.H. Luu said:

    Cannondale files them down.

    However, I have heard that Klein bikes also achieve the same appearance
    without the use of the dynafile. Anyone know how Klein achieves this?

    Claude

  12. "C.H. Luu" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1123700061.489956.229360
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    Cannondale files them down.

    However, I have heard that Klein bikes also achieve the same appearance
    without the use of the dynafile. Anyone know how Klein achieves this?

    Claude

    There is a method for smoothing up the weld surface, which definitely
    results in reduction in stress concentration, called TIG-dressing.
    Essentially, it is re-melting the weld deposit metal withoud adding any new
    filler metal. TIG stands for tungsten-innert gas welding method and has
    been around for about 50 years now. More details available upon request -
    or use Google.

    TIG-dressed welds could often look like buffed and ground ones, besides
    this process is superior to grinding in metallurgical aspect. Does take
    approx. the same time to do this, but TIG-dressing requires high level
    operator's skills as opposed to using a grinder.

    I suspect that's what Klein is using.

    Later,
    IK (MS in welding engineering, '1985)

  13. the cannondales visual marketing really knocks you out

  14. "Cam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Gooserider said:

    Guess the subject header says it all. I went to my LBS and saw a
    Cannondale
    on the used rack. I checked the welds, and they were so smooth it almost
    appeared monocoque. How does Cannondale do it? They're a lot neater than
    the
    aluminum welds I've seen on other makers.

    My smooth welded Cannondale was just stolen 3 weeks ago. Are you in
    Toronto?

    Cam

    Nope. Sorry somebody jacked your bike.

  15. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    the cannondales visual marketing really knocks you out

    Yep. I've always thought they were sharmp looking bikes. Plus, you have to
    give them credit for making every frame in the USA(except for the new carbon
    jobber). If I wasn't a dyed-in-the-wool steel fan I would have a 'dale.

  16. "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yep. I've always thought they were sharmp looking bikes. Plus, you have to
    give them credit for making every frame in the USA(except for the new
    carbon jobber). If I wasn't a dyed-in-the-wool steel fan I would have a
    'dale.

    Go for it.

    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool steel fan too (Cinelli Super Corsa, Colnago Spiral
    Conic SLX, Condor Cycles, Wicked Fat Chance, Hot Tubes 'cross bike, etc),
    and I own both a Colnago C40 and a Cannondale T1000.

    The C40 is my daily ride. That doesn't mean I don't love steel.

    And I do have to admit...I bought the 'dale almost a year ago, finished
    (re)building it this spring, and haven't actually ridden it yet.

    I'll check back when I do 🙂

    Lee

  17. "(PeteCresswell)" wrote: Is there anything about Al that makes it "better"
    than steel besides fabrication costs?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Do you know why they build airplanes out of aluminum? :-)

  18. Per Lee:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool steel fan....

    Is there anything about Al that makes it "better" than steel besides fabrication
    costs? I
    --
    PeteCresswell

  19. (PeteCresswell) said:

    Per Lee:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool steel fan....

    Is there anything about Al that makes it "better" than steel besides fabrication
    costs? I

    More room for decals on those beautiful fat tubes.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  20. Leo Lichtman said:

    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote: Is there anything about Al that makes it "better"
    than steel besides fabrication costs?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Do you know why they build airplanes out of aluminum? :-)

    Actually, Reynolds 531 tubing was used to make spitfire airplanes. In
    those days the wimpy materials like aluminum were only deemed strong
    enough to replace the fabric wing covers ... *grin*.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.