Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Why are some derailers non-SIS?

Started by Ken Pisichko · · Last activity · 6 posts · 744 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 April 2004
Last activity
19 April 2004
Original author
Ken Pisichko
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
744
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In reading Sheldon's glossary and in looking at bikes with friction and
    SIS types of shift systems I would like to know why deraillers are
    described as non-SIS. I don't really see why a derailler cannot be used
    for indexing or friction shifting on the identical rear "gear sprocket".
    What am I missing?

  2. Quoted message said:

    In reading Sheldon's glossary and in looking at bikes with friction and
    SIS types of shift systems I would like to know why deraillers are
    described as non-SIS. I don't really see why a derailler cannot be used
    for indexing or friction shifting on the identical rear "gear sprocket".
    What am I missing?

    A derailleur must move a specific distance per one click of cable movement to
    be compatable and the cable pull per click must be compatable as well.
    Phil Brown

  3. Ken Pisichko said:

    In reading Sheldon's glossary and in looking at bikes with friction and
    SIS types of shift systems I would like to know why deraillers are
    described as non-SIS. I don't really see why a derailler cannot be used
    for indexing or friction shifting on the identical rear "gear sprocket".
    What am I missing?

    As someone said, movement per unit of cable pull.

    'SIS' is a specific term- Shimano Index System,' I believe. Other
    companies have other names.

    Seems to me that the surest sign that a rear derailleur is *not* meant
    to be used on an indexed system is the lack of an adjustable barrel
    for the cable. This is helpful for fine tuning the indexing.

    Then again, it'd be interesting to add an adjustable barrel to a
    non-indexed derailleur and see if it can be used with indexing.

    Well, not that interesting actually..... 🙂

  4. On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:58:32 -0500, Ken Pisichko <[email hidden]> may

    have said:

    In reading Sheldon's glossary and in looking at bikes with friction and
    SIS types of shift systems I would like to know why deraillers are
    described as non-SIS. I don't really see why a derailler cannot be used
    for indexing or friction shifting on the identical rear "gear sprocket".
    What am I missing?

    The ratio of cable travel to derailleur motion must be an exact match
    in order for the indexing to work. This is assured in the
    SIS-compatible ders and shifters. It is *not* assured in others, and
    mix-and-match is pretty much guaranteed not to work for those.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In reading Sheldon's glossary and in looking at bikes with friction and
    SIS types of shift systems I would like to know why deraillers are
    described as non-SIS. I don't really see why a derailler cannot be used
    for indexing or friction shifting on the identical rear "gear sprocket".
    What am I missing?

    The shifting mechanism will only work properly when you use compatible
    components. This means the shifter, derailler and cassette have to be
    matched. So when you click the shifter one click the derailleru moves
    exactly the spacing of the cassette. If the derailleur is not SIS, it
    means that for one click of an SIS shifter, it moves more or less than
    the spacing of the cassette.
    --------------
    Alex

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In reading Sheldon's glossary and in looking at bikes with friction and
    SIS types of shift systems I would like to know why deraillers are
    described as non-SIS. I don't really see why a derailler cannot be used
    for indexing or friction shifting on the identical rear "gear sprocket".
    What am I missing?

    If you're using indexed shifters, the other responders have already
    described the issue. What they didn't mention is that if you're using
    friction shifters, it doesn't matter what derailleur you use.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.