Why are stairs hard ???!

Rachel_w

Sep 11, 2005
Hi - I'm new to cycling but inspired by Lance and his exploits... I read several of the books concerning tour riders and there were references to the riders avoiding stairs / walking etc and getting out of breath real easy going up a floor...? Why is this... Aren't these guys uber atheletes??

Am I missing something!

Thanks

When you're racing a three week tour, every last fraction counts. Energy spent walking up stairs is energy that can't be spent on the bike. As soon as they cross the finish line, these guys are focused on recovering as much as possible for the next day.

artmichalek said:
When you're racing a three week tour, every last fraction counts. Energy spent walking up stairs is energy that can't be spent on the bike. As soon as they cross the finish line, these guys are focused on recovering as much as possible for the next day.
Well said.

Rachel_w said:
Hi - I'm new to cycling but inspired by Lance and his exploits... I read several of the books concerning tour riders and there were references to the riders avoiding stairs / walking etc and getting out of breath real easy going up a floor...? Why is this... Aren't these guys uber atheletes??

Am I missing something!

Thanks
There may be some truth to the other posts but the real reason is that when you walk or climb stairs you are using the same and different muscles in your legs and ass in different ways than they are used to while riding a bike. As a result their energy requirements are different and greater. Case and point, I am in Breckenridge, CO right now and I climbed 2 peaks today on foot. I traveled about 10 miles and acended more than 2500ft vertically over that 10 miles. I normally ride my MTB about 100 miles a week. When I was done with my hiking today I was wiped out and my legs were jello. I almost fell several times during my descents because my thighs were shaking. It is actually ironic that you created this thread today.

Ahh !

Thanks - that makes sense... I guess if you tune something to perfection (or as close as you can get) anything else is off the razors edge. And therefore inefficient, relatively !

Hope your legs feel better soon !

R

I was wondering why I had a hard time going up and down the stairs!

I used to go up and down Chichen Itza and Coba RUNNING up and down.

Then moved to the States, started riding the bike a lot, and I find myself struggling with stairs. In fact, I manage go up and down running without a problem but it is really painful to go SLOW.

Something tells me that I ought to start spending more time standing on my pedals

For running purposes doing stairs does two things for you, increases your sprinting ability due to the explosive muscles that are worked and improves your verticle leap (same reason) however itis much harder on your knees (prob one of they reason this type of training doesnt go well with cycling).

nugsfan said:
For running purposes doing stairs does two things for you, increases your sprinting ability due to the explosive muscles that are worked and improves your verticle leap (same reason) however itis much harder on your knees (prob one of they reason this type of training doesnt go well with cycling).
running up stairs is not hard on the knees, compared to many athletic activities. deep squats might be the hardest on the knees, or overgeared hill climbs on the bike.

climbing stairs sucks for riders because if you are training hard, your legs are sore.

velomanct said:
running up stairs is not hard on the knees, compared to many athletic activities. deep squats might be the hardest on the knees, or overgeared hill climbs on the bike.

climbing stairs sucks for riders because if you are training hard, your legs are sore.
Running up is not the problem, its coming back down that puts the stress on your knees as your bracing. A stairmaster workout is much healthier for your knees however you tend to hit muscle failure doing this which means a longer recovery period before your legs have any oomph for other activity.

Holy ****! I've walked up Coba and Chichen Itza, I can't imagine running up or down! All I can say is you must have really really tiny little feet :D

huhenio said:
I was wondering why I had a hard time going up and down the stairs!

I used to go up and down Chichen Itza and Coba RUNNING up and down.

Then moved to the States, started riding the bike a lot, and I find myself struggling with stairs. In fact, I manage go up and down running without a problem but it is really painful to go SLOW.

Something tells me that I ought to start spending more time standing on my pedals

@Velofan

1- Guaraches, or local leather sandals with tire sidewall soles.

2- Go ACROSS!! ... sort of a slalom ...

3 - I am size 13 . but skinny feet. Kinda sidesteping was a better technique