Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.
Why?
Thanks
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.
Why?
Thanks
In article <[email hidden]>,
censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.Why?
Thanks
Iron supplements tend to make you constipated.
It's also too easy to get it in your diet.
Spinach is high in iron, but red meat is even higher...
Using cast iron cookware also is helpful.
--
Om.
"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson
censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.Why?
There are some nutrients for which it's healthy and easy to take megadoses (like
vitamin C), and others where it isn't (like vitamin A). Hence the variation in
relative portions of different nutrients (from 0% RDA to 1000+% RDA)
Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.
Too much vitamin C isn't a problem.
Too much iron is toxic, especially if you have one of several medical
issues. If David Cohen happens to read this he might post something more
helpful than I have.
Peter
On 5 Sep 2005 09:57:31 -0700, "Curt James" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.Why?
A cursory Google <http://www.mothernature.com/>
<http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Ency/Index.cfm/Id/2870003#10>
offers:The Daily Value (including diet) recommended, according to info found
at mothernature.com, is 18 mg. My Nature Made iron supplement has 65 mg
per table. I had thought of taking this once a week,
---
Curt,
Great information about why iron is lacking in multivitamins, thanks.
I never thought of taking only two tabs a week.... WELL DUH!!
I went to a lab for a blood draw today. It will be interesting to
compare to last May's results.
OBTW, your niece is quite a charmer...
Rich
censored Malchik said:"Curt James" <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:Great information about why iron is lacking
in multivitamins, thanks.
I never thought of taking only two tabs a
week.... WELL DUH!!
I'd be curious to hear if that's acceptable. I don't know how long iron
stays in your system and if that's comparable to taking smaller doses
each day. Where are the peer-reviewed guys when ya need 'em?
Quoted message said:I went to a lab for a blood draw today. It
will be interesting to compare to last May's
results.
Best wishes for good results from the lab, Rich. A million (seemingly)
years ago, I had to have regular tests while I was taking Accutane.
Quoted message said:OBTW, your niece is quite a charmer...
She gets more beautiful each day and truly is a charmer. And she's got
two brothers who, I'm guessing, will be laying the law down to future
potential boyfriends. :-)
--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/
censored Malchik said:
Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.
Because it's very easy to overdose on iron and DIE!
"[censored] Malchik" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.Why?
Thanks
I asked my pharmacist about taking supplemental iron a couple of years
ago because my blood work showed my iron levels at the low end of the
normal range. In a nutshell, his reply was, "Leave well enough alone."
Apparently studies have shown that people are healthier with iron levels
that are lower as long as they aren't too low.
Hope that's of some help to you - you might want to talk to a
pharmacist, nutrionist, or other specialist about this.
In article <[email hidden]>,
Just Cocky said:censored Malchik said:
Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.Because it's very easy to overdose on iron and DIE!
Same goes for Vitamin A...
--
Om.
"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson
censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.
It makes the supplement unisex. Supplements with iron are for females
only. Thanks to menstrual bleeding women regularly lose a lot of
blood/iron and need to supplement iron. Men do NOT have chronic
bleeding problems. So, men have no need to supplement, in general.
Now, why all these those clowns on smn could not spit out this simple
information, is totally beyond me. But, totally expected.
Just my opinion, but I am right once again.
lars said:censored Malchik said:On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:42:39 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email hidden]> wrote:
--
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
i am a blood donor, i donate a 0.5 litre every 3 months,we get
erco-fer 60mg for free,
but i olnly use it 3 first days after donating., and i have no problem
with with low hemoglobin, if hemoglobin drops fast then you are going
to be tired, but longterm loss isnt that evident
An interesting anecdote:
I've been a long term blood donor. At 28 years of age in 1984, I was
thinking about a solo cross-country bike trip, and was "training"
125-200 miles each Saturday and Sunday(35-50 miles M-F). My BP was
normally 85-90/45-55.
Now, I've never appeared athletic. I'm small, a bit skinny, even a
little scrawny. One Monday AM after a 350+ mile weekend, I went into
the Washington D.C. Red Cross on E Street to donate.
They said my hematocrit was way too low to donate. I don't remember,
maybe it was 25. Then they tried to get me to go to a doctor, claiming
I MUST be dizzy from low blood pressure and low hemtocrit. "Have I
ever had problems with anemia," I was asked..
I assured them I was OK, and had done over 350 miles on a bike in the
last 50 hours since Saturday AM. I was instructed to go easy on the
exercise, eat plenty of red meat including liver, spinich and other
dark greens. Then come back in two weeks.
I did, and my hematrocrit was almost 60! Too high to donate, I was
told.
Oh well. Can't blame a guy for trying.
Rich
censored Malchik said:lars said:censored Malchik said:On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:42:39 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email hidden]> wrote:
i am a blood donor, i donate a 0.5 litre every 3 months,we get
erco-fer 60mg for free,
but i olnly use it 3 first days after donating., and i have no
problem with with low hemoglobin, if hemoglobin drops fast then you
are going to be tired, but longterm loss isnt that evidentAn interesting anecdote:
I've been a long term blood donor. At 28 years of age in 1984, I was
thinking about a solo cross-country bike trip, and was "training"
125-200 miles each Saturday and Sunday(35-50 miles M-F). My BP was
normally 85-90/45-55.Now, I've never appeared athletic. I'm small, a bit skinny, even a
little scrawny. One Monday AM after a 350+ mile weekend, I went into
the Washington D.C. Red Cross on E Street to donate.They said my hematocrit was way too low to donate. I don't remember,
maybe it was 25.
Exercise lowers haematocrit. Resting sends it back up again.
But 60 is damn high. I'm not sure I've ever heard (before) of anyone who
naturally got up there - a few cyclists have medical exemptions for 52 or
53, for what that's worth, but not higher than that. Bjarne Riis, of course,
was 'Mr 60%', but that wasn't exactly natural.
Peter
Mr-Natural-Health said:
censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.It makes the supplement unisex. Supplements with iron are for females
only. Thanks to menstrual bleeding women regularly lose a lot of
blood/iron and need to supplement iron. Men do NOT have chronic
bleeding problems. So, men have no need to supplement, in general.Now, why all these those clowns on smn could not spit out this simple
information, is totally beyond me. But, totally expected.
You might find iron supplementation helpful for the chronic hypoxia in
your brain.
JMW said:Mr-Natural-Health said:
censored Malchik said:Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.It makes the supplement unisex. Supplements with iron are for females
only. Thanks to menstrual bleeding women regularly lose a lot of
blood/iron and need to supplement iron. Men do NOT have chronic
bleeding problems. So, men have no need to supplement, in general.Now, why all these those clowns on smn could not spit out this simple
information, is totally beyond me. But, totally expected.You might find iron supplementation helpful for the chronic hypoxia in
your brain.
Hey Dumb, Dumb:
I answered the question asked. I stated why supplements would leave
iron out. I never wrote that a man would never supplement with iron.
Just thought that you might want to know, Dim Wit.
Mr-Natural-Health said:JMW said:Mr-Natural-Health said:
[censored] Malchik wrote:> Many well regarded supplements that seem to include everything, even
> chelated "kitchen sink" at 1000% of the RDA, don't include iron.It makes the supplement unisex. Supplements with iron are for females
only. Thanks to menstrual bleeding women regularly lose a lot of
blood/iron and need to supplement iron. Men do NOT have chronic
bleeding problems. So, men have no need to supplement, in general.Now, why all these those clowns on smn could not spit out this simple
information, is totally beyond me. But, totally expected.You might find iron supplementation helpful for the chronic hypoxia in
your brain.Hey Dumb, Dumb:
I answered the question asked. I stated why supplements would leave
iron out. I never wrote that a man would never supplement with iron.Just thought that you might want to know, Dim Wit.
Just my opinion, but I am right once again.
JMW said:Mr-Natural-Health said:Just thought that you might want to
know, Dim Wit.
JMW, just makin' friends left and right, eh?
Is Mr-Natural-Health a /moonbat/?
Dim Wit versus moonbat. Not sure which I like best. Is there such a
thing as a dim-witted moonbat?
(Go ahead, J. It's a freebie.)
--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/
Iron is one of the only things I ever overdosed on.
I bought a bottle 18 years ago and took 2 tablets.
Boy did I pay. I felt horrible.The amount was
37mg per tablet. Instead of two I probably needed
less than a half.
Watch out for iron. You better know what you are
doing.
lars said:i am a blood donor, i donate a 0.5 litre every 3 months,we get
erco-fer 60mg for free,
but i olnly use it 3 first days after donating., and i have no problem
with with low hemoglobin, if hemoglobin drops fast then you are going
to be tired, but longterm loss isnt that evident
COMMENT:
What's the point in taking the iron at all, if you only take it for 3
days?
That half liter of blood has 250 mg of iron in it, or so. You MIGHT
absorb as much as 60 mg from your three pills, but probably not that
much.
The reason they make you wait 90 days, is so that know-it-alls like you
who toss their pills, can still absorb the standard 3 mg of iron a day
from the 10 mg in their diet, and not get anemic from their donations.
SBH
Peter Allen said:censored Malchik said:lars said:[censored] Malchik wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:42:39 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email hidden]> wrote:
>
Exercise lowers haematocrit. Resting sends it back up again.But 60 is damn high. I'm not sure I've ever heard (before) of anyone who
naturally got up there - a few cyclists have medical exemptions for 52 or
53, for what that's worth, but not higher than that. Bjarne Riis, of course,
was 'Mr 60%', but that wasn't exactly natural.Peter
I must defer to your posted high percents(52-53) over my memory of
numbers from an unfamiliar subject 21 or more years ago. I do remember
they said I was just over the limit of too high a hematrocrit
percentage to donate.
Rich
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.