could be a medical condition cardiac problems ,seizures ( non jacksonian) drugs, medications etc "Prisoner at War" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I mean, when it's a nice flat road, no one's around them, it's sunny, dry, no winds...how do people just go plop! in front of you like that?
I saw this three times on Sunday's Tour de Bronx in NYC (great ride; free food and water and no helmets required!!!)...they're not going fast, they weren't going downhill, no one was around them (I was a good four yards behind), and suddenly they fall. Just like that.
I fall out of my bike like once every five years due to trying to ride down stairs or something like that. How do these people just fall in perfectly good conditions? They weren't newbie riders either, apparently.
mistook a white curb as a driveway and came at it at a very acute ange--3 o am in the morning--the bronx--laughed myself silly when i fell down. also hit a 10 inch log hidden by grass--also laughed when i crashed into it with my MTB-- "Prisoner at War" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Mark Shroyer said:
I did more or less the same thing myself, a few years back, on the University of Florida campus. Except in my case I was on a mountain bike, so (1) I didn't have the poor-point-of-view excuse for my mistake, and (2) instead of flying into an upright position, I flew over the handlebars and smacked my cheek on the pavement.
Oooohh!!!!!
I had a few over-the-handlebars on various uprights, too...luckily, none of them required a helmet! So that's why I never felt like I needed a helmet.
Quoted message said:
I think I better re-evaluate my position on the relative safety of recumbents versus upright bicycles...
I was told that the HP Velotechnik SMGTe was a very bad design where the slamming of brakes was concerned...but it was so comfy I had to get one! And then I found out that it's not dangerous at all in that respect, and that was the only respect in which it would have been dangerous.
I've even gone downhill very fast in the rain once...it was a good six- degree gradient hill at least...I pumped the brakes a bit and not totally slammed them, but I was still "upright" all that time...I skidded for about five seconds! This was that big hill in Tarrytown, NY, by that college and convent, if another knows what I'm talking about...it's a T-intersection, and the coffee shop I would have crashed into had folks looking out their window at me, LOL....
I ride around NYC and let most everybody try out my 'bent...so far, there's only been one guy who didn't pick it up within a minute's time...and everybody instinctively recognizes how safe it is, from a physics-of-the-road standpoint (decreased vantage is a serious issue one will need to master with time, however)....
mistook a white curb as a driveway and came at it at a very acute ange--3 o am in the morning--the bronx--laughed myself silly when i fell down. also hit a 10 inch log hidden by grass--also laughed when i crashed into it with my MTB--
I'm only amused by my accidents when I don't draw blood. Luckily, I've not had many in over twenty years of bicycling. Only less than ten, actually -- I think maybe no more than five, even.
One thing I've never mastered on the bike is picking up the rear wheel when going over curbs...I get it only like once every six or eight times I try. I don't know why, but that's one thing I can't seem to do for some reason...I'd probably sooner learn to go down a big flight of stairs than pick up the rear wheel on a curb!
Needless to say, I've had a few accidents trying to go down a flight of stairs...LOL...once a cop had to keep himself from chuckling when I suddenly panicked and took a spill over a measly five big steps! These are the ones down by the "Trade Court" near the BK Bridge....