Why does a spoke get "loose"?

On Aug 13, 9:24 am, Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Colin Campbell wrote:
> > Luckily, the spokes are flat bladed (which is no doubt
> > why I'm SOOO fast!), so I could check for torsion. I just went out and
> > overtightened the spoke (I think), then loosened it a bit. I did not
> > observe any twisting in the flat portion of the spoke.

> If the same spoke is loosening each time, and it's not due to windup,
> and the problem spoke is at the same tension as all the other left
> side spokes, then possibly there's a flat spot on the rim.
>
> Pluck each of the spokes and listen to the pitch. All the spokes on a
> given side should produce the same pitch (indicating equal tension),
> and the wheel should be true and round. If you can't get it true with
> uniform spoke tension, the rim is probably warped or dinged.

He did say, "I tightened it up to something like the tension of the
other spokes, and rode it some more." Now I realize that lacks the
certainty of a precision Jobstian "tension meter", but if he tensions
it to about the same as the other spokes, and the wheel is true, it
follows that there is no flat spot. My advice is to stick some
locktite or something on the spoke and forget about it. If there is a
flat spot, which must be pretty subtle based on the above, my advice
would still be to stick some locktite or something on the spoke and
forget about it, unless you want to rebuild the wheel with a new rim,
which may or may not result in a worse problem depending on the
expertise of the person doing the rebuilding, and will probably set
him back a couple hundred bucks.

It seems entirely possible to me that with a low spoke count and a
marginal spoke tension, spokes could loosen in an undamaged rim. There
could be something about the rim itself (manufacturing variance, rim
joint, or something) that causes it to flatten a little more at that
spot during regular riding, giving it the opportunity to loosen over
time. I think he could either spend a lot of time and money trying to
get the wheel specs and a tensiometer, and then retension the entire
wheel, or he could just put some locktite on it.

Are we sure that those wheels are not built with spoke prep that may
have been missed on that spoke or deteriorated for whatever reason to
where it no longer works there? Just put some locktite on it.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:24 am, Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Colin Campbell wrote:
>>> Luckily, the spokes are flat bladed (which is no doubt
>>> why I'm SOOO fast!), so I could check for torsion. I just went out and
>>> overtightened the spoke (I think), then loosened it a bit. I did not
>>> observe any twisting in the flat portion of the spoke.

>> If the same spoke is loosening each time, and it's not due to windup,
>> and the problem spoke is at the same tension as all the other left
>> side spokes, then possibly there's a flat spot on the rim.
>>
>> Pluck each of the spokes and listen to the pitch. All the spokes on a
>> given side should produce the same pitch (indicating equal tension),
>> and the wheel should be true and round. If you can't get it true with
>> uniform spoke tension, the rim is probably warped or dinged.

> He did say, "I tightened it up to something like the tension of the
> other spokes, and rode it some more." Now I realize that lacks the
> certainty of a precision Jobstian "tension meter", but if he tensions
> it to about the same as the other spokes, and the wheel is true, it
> follows that there is no flat spot. My advice is to stick some
> locktite or something on the spoke and forget about it. If there is a
> flat spot, which must be pretty subtle based on the above, my advice
> would still be to stick some locktite or something on the spoke and
> forget about it, unless you want to rebuild the wheel with a new rim,
> which may or may not result in a worse problem depending on the
> expertise of the person doing the rebuilding, and will probably set
> him back a couple hundred bucks.
>
> It seems entirely possible to me that with a low spoke count and a
> marginal spoke tension, spokes could loosen in an undamaged rim. There
> could be something about the rim itself (manufacturing variance, rim
> joint, or something) that causes it to flatten a little more at that
> spot during regular riding, giving it the opportunity to loosen over
> time. I think he could either spend a lot of time and money trying to
> get the wheel specs and a tensiometer, and then retension the entire
> wheel, or he could just put some locktite on it.
>
> Are we sure that those wheels are not built with spoke prep that may
> have been missed on that spoke or deteriorated for whatever reason to
> where it no longer works there? Just put some locktite on it.

Are you trying to make good sense? <g>

I cannot see a flat spot with visual examination. I'm keeping closer
tabs on the spoke tension, checking after each ride now. I may drop by
the LBS and ask them their opinion, too. Maybe they have some Locktite....

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press of Possum Lodge wrote:
> > As to diet, you should never feel deprived. Always
> > avail yourself of treats. A treat is not conditional;
> > no "earning" a treat.

> Nonsense. If there is something a person wants, generally it is bad
> and/or immoral. If in doubt, do not take the action.

Well, everybody, I stick with what I said.
Even when adopting a new food regimen,
do not go feeling deprived. Be sure to
treat your self well; eat something that
you truly enjoy.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press of Possum Lodge wrote:
>>> As to diet, you should never feel deprived. Always
>>> avail yourself of treats. A treat is not conditional;
>>> no "earning" a treat.

>> Nonsense. If there is something a person wants, generally it is bad
>> and/or immoral. If in doubt, do not take the action.

> Well, everybody, I stick with what I said.
> Even when adopting a new food regimen,
> do not go feeling deprived. Be sure to
> treat your self well; eat something that
> you truly enjoy.

Deprivation and suffering build moral character.

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Lots of 'us' wish to retire, at least I know I do...I've 'retired'
> once from the USN, but into another 'job'..I do wish for days where
> the big event is to ride, followed by other things...maybe I'm just
> reacting to 'retail', after a long summer....

That is an un-American attitude. Only those born rich do not need to
work. They are better than the rest of us, since God chose rich parents
for them.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

> Deprivation and suffering build moral character.

So you should be Mother Freaking Theresa! LOL

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:58:52 -0500, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Well, everybody, I stick with what I said.
>> Even when adopting a new food regimen,
>> do not go feeling deprived. Be sure to
>> treat your self well; eat something that
>> you truly enjoy.

>Deprivation and suffering build moral character.

I don't see that "building moral character" has anything to do with
it. If you want to lose weight, then your calorie intake - for equal
output - has to be reduced. That means going without that piece of
cheese or the chocolate bar you'd so much like - unless you're
prepared to ride an extra 10km to burn it off.

On Aug 13, 5:11 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I have a 2006 Trek 5200 with the Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I upgraded
> > the componentry to Campy Record, and Trek exchanged the wheels fro
> > Shimano to Campy compatible at no cost. The wheels are 20 spokes front,
> > 24 rear, and the rear is laced two cross on the drive side, radially on
> > the non-drive side.

> > I now have about 8500 km (5300 miles) on the bike. Recently, I noticed
> > that the rear wheel was a bit out of true. I checked, and one spoke on
> > the non-drive side was quite loose. I tightened it up to something like
> > the tension of the other spokes, and rode it some more. The next time I
> > cleaned the bike, the spoke was loose again. I tightened it again.
> > When I cleaned the bike on Friday, the spoke was loose again, and again
> > I tightened it. I rode the bike 67 km on Saturday, and today I checked
> > the spoke - it seemed a little less tight than the neighboring spokes.

> > What causes this to happen? Do I need to take it to the shop? The bike
> > is one year old later this month, by the way.

> Is there a flat spot in the rim at the loose spoke? By
> flat I mean even a little less round than the rest of
> the rim. That would give lower tension on that one
> spoke.
>
> Another possibility: The threads may have been
> originally treated with glue, and the glue on that one
> spoke has lost its grip.

What are folks opinions about using something crochety and old school
like boiled linseed oil as a thread "locker"?

In article
<[email protected]>,
landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 13, 5:11 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > I have a 2006 Trek 5200 with the Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I upgraded
> > > the componentry to Campy Record, and Trek exchanged the wheels fro
> > > Shimano to Campy compatible at no cost. The wheels are 20 spokes front,
> > > 24 rear, and the rear is laced two cross on the drive side, radially on
> > > the non-drive side.

> > > I now have about 8500 km (5300 miles) on the bike. Recently, I noticed
> > > that the rear wheel was a bit out of true. I checked, and one spoke on
> > > the non-drive side was quite loose. I tightened it up to something like
> > > the tension of the other spokes, and rode it some more. The next time I
> > > cleaned the bike, the spoke was loose again. I tightened it again.
> > > When I cleaned the bike on Friday, the spoke was loose again, and again
> > > I tightened it. I rode the bike 67 km on Saturday, and today I checked
> > > the spoke - it seemed a little less tight than the neighboring spokes.

> > > What causes this to happen? Do I need to take it to the shop? The bike
> > > is one year old later this month, by the way.

> > Is there a flat spot in the rim at the loose spoke? By
> > flat I mean even a little less round than the rest of
> > the rim. That would give lower tension on that one
> > spoke.
> >
> > Another possibility: The threads may have been
> > originally treated with glue, and the glue on that one
> > spoke has lost its grip.

> What are folks opinions about using something crochety and old school
> like boiled linseed oil as a thread "locker"?

Do it if you prefer.
I prefer to design and build wheels
that remain true without thread lock compound,
and succeed.

--
Michael Press

On Aug 18, 6:03 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>

> landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 13, 5:11 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Is there a flat spot in the rim at the loose spoke? By
> > > flat I mean even a little less round than the rest of
> > > the rim. That would give lower tension on that one
> > > spoke.

> > > Another possibility: The threads may have been
> > > originally treated with glue, and the glue on that one
> > > spoke has lost its grip.

> > What are folks opinions about using something crochety and old school
> > like boiled linseed oil as a thread "locker"?

> Do it if you prefer.
> I prefer to design and build wheels
> that remain true without thread lock compound,
> and succeed.

Heh, I've never had to do much to any wheel I built or tuned either.
Guess I'll keep building 2-3 cross with brass nipples and nothing on
the threads. I don't actually have a problem that needs solving, but
it just sounded so mysterious, like I'd have to grow a nice moustache
first!