rec.bicycles.soc · Public discussion

Why Don't Mountain Bikers Get it???

Started by Mike Vandeman · · Last activity · 14 posts · 718 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.soc
Published
20 May 2004
Last activity
26 May 2004
Original author
Mike Vandeman
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
718
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. At 12:41 PM 5/19/04 -0700 said:

    Dear Dr Vandeman,


    I appreciate the priority you place on the natural environment as well as
    the emphasis you place on wildlands and forever-wild distinctions.
    However, I would caution you against an overly generalized reaction to
    mountain bike users. While there are offenders amongst them, they are (as a
    group) environmentally minded and proactive in the areas of conservation,
    restoration and reduction of fossil fuel dependence to the extent that they
    understand these issues. Unlike jet-skis and four-wheelers, mountain bike
    users simply do not have the ability to devastate the sheer volume of
    natural resources that internal combustion enables even if this was their de
    facto objective. Again and to avoid a defensive reaction, I acknowledge that
    there are offenders to sensitive land use within the mountain bike community
    - many of them. But to emphasize this group alongside much more egregious
    offenders weakens the credibility of your message (our message) to the
    status of personal rant while alienating a potential resource (mountain bike
    riders) that can help further environmental awareness. Your message is one
    worthy of protection.

    Although you claim thet they are only a few bad apples, there are enough that
    they can easily be found in every park in the world where mountain biking is
    allowed, and many where it's NOT allowed. But my argument doesn't hinge on the
    characteristics of the bikers. The most polite, conscious biker in the world
    still accelerates erosion, drives other trail users out of the park, and drives
    the wildlife away from the resources they need.

    Quoted message said:

    Would you disagree with the notion, for example, that your time may better


    benefit your objectives if spent fighting for world population reduction?

    Maybe and maybe not. It doesn't interest me. I have a vasectomy & no kids. There
    are plenty of people doing that.

    Quoted message said:

    I


    suspect that the global environmental net negative impact of one devout
    Catholic is greater than that of one devout mountain biker (provided that
    said mountain biker is not Catholic).

    I don't know that. Mountain bikers offer a negative role model to thousands of
    kids who don't know better.

    Quoted message said:

    Pick your battles carefully and allocate your resources for the greatest


    strategic gain. You are a finite resource as well.
    In the case of mountain bike users, I would encourage a tactic of inclusion
    whereby you may find an audience sympathetic to your suggestions.

    I tried that for many years. In fact, I haven't abandoned it. But mountain
    bikers respond negatively to ANY criticism of mountain biking. I have yet to
    meet even ONE who is open to giving up their selfish, destructive sport. I just
    tell the truth. It's your move.

    Quoted message said:

    Demographically, they are likely to be supporters and voters. I can not say


    that of many of the other "outdoorsman" stereotypes who are most likely to
    be conservative, republican, Born-Again EPA haters who consider natural
    resources as mere consumables as authorized by their Mighty One who
    proclaimed that Man has dominion over Earth and animals.

    In California, they are actively opposing Wilderness designation. Those are NOT
    "environmentalists" or "allies".

    Quoted message said:

    Before spending a single calorie fighting the effects mountain bikers, I


    would suggest careful scrutiny of the following examples as comparative
    analysis and strategic planning. Might these, regarded in totality, be
    examples of subjects more significant to the endeavor of environmental
    protection than mountain bike mis-use:

    Quoted message said:

    1. Leaf blowers


    2. Yard-care products (usually carried to fresh water habitats by
    storm-drain systems)
    3. Contraception-adverse Organized religions
    4. Politically significant groups that de-emphasize long-term environmental
    priorities (Kyoto, EPA, etc.)
    5. An uninformed voting public
    6. Recycling and reuse
    7. National petroleum use and automotive efficiency standards
    8. Consumption based rewards programs
    9. Misappropriated anti-conservation federal subsidies (+6000lb SUV tax
    loophole)
    10. Indigenous seed-stock modification (Monsanto)......and so on.

    Quoted message said:

    I suggest that, relative to bigger environmental threats such as those


    listed above, targeting mountain bikers

    I don't "target mountain bikers". I target mountain BIKING. Get it?

    Quoted message said:

    is time wasted on a comparatively


    insignificant factor even if we assume worst-case behavior of 100% of the
    mountain bike rider population.

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that. It's
    about mountain biking.

    Quoted message said:

    Why alienate the swing voters unless you care less about the bigger cause


    than a personal rant.

    That's where you went off track. I don't "alienate" anyone. I just tell the
    truth.

    Quoted message said:

    Keep up the good work but sharpen the focus.


    Focus, focus, focus.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest too
    much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in shutting me
    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am convinced
    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True environmentalists don't
    try to shut up other environmentalists.

    Quoted message said:

    Sincerely,


    Karsen Chinook

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  2. Nazi Mike Vandeman writes:

    Although you claim that they are only a few bad apples, there are enough
    that
    they can easily be found in every city in the world where Judaism is
    allowed, and many where it's NOT allowed. But my argument doesn't hinge on
    the
    characteristics of the Jews. The most polite, conscious Jew in the world
    still causes problems.

    I don't know that. Jews offer a negative role model to thousands of
    kids who don't know better.

    I tried that for many years. In fact, I haven't abandoned it. But Jews
    only respond negatively to ANY criticism of Judaism. I have yet to
    meet even ONE who is open to giving up their selfish, destructive culture.
    I just
    tell the truth. It's your move.

    I don't "target Jews". I target JUDAISM. Get it?

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.
    It's
    about Judaism.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest too
    much", if you get my drift. Why are Jews so interested in shutting me
    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am convinced
    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror.

  3. Male chauvinist Mike Vandeman writes:

    Although you claim that they are only a few bad apples, there are enough
    that
    they can easily be found in every city in the world where Feminism is
    allowed, and many where it's NOT allowed. But my argument doesn't hinge on
    the
    characteristics of the Feminists. The most polite, conscious Feminist in the
    world
    still causes problems.

    I don't know that. Feminists offer a negative role model to thousands of
    kids who don't know better.

    I tried that for many years. In fact, I haven't abandoned it. But Feminists
    only respond negatively to ANY criticism of Feminism. I have yet to
    meet even ONE who is open to giving up their selfish, destructive beliefs.
    I just
    tell the truth. It's your move.

    I don't "target Feminists". I target FEMINISM. Get it?

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.
    It's
    about Feminism.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest too
    much", if you get my drift. Why are Feminists so interested in shutting me
    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am convinced
    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror.

  4. Compassionate conservative Mike Vandeman writes:

    Although you claim that they are only a few bad apples, there are enough
    that
    they can easily be found in every city in the world where Liberalism is
    allowed, and many where it's NOT allowed. But my argument doesn't hinge on
    the
    characteristics of the Liberals. The most polite, conscious Liberal in the
    world
    still causes problems.

    I don't know that. Liberals offer a negative role model to thousands of
    kids who don't know better.

    I tried that for many years. In fact, I haven't abandoned it. But Liberals
    only respond negatively to ANY criticism of Liberalism. I have yet to
    meet even ONE who is open to giving up their selfish, destructive politics.
    I just
    tell the truth. It's your move.

    I don't "target Liberals". I target LIBERALISM. Get it?

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.
    It's
    about Liberalism.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest too
    much", if you get my drift. Why are Liberals so interested in shutting me
    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am convinced
    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror.

  5. "Cosmic Bandito" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Nazi Mike Vandeman writes:

    Although you claim that they are only a few bad apples, there are enough
    that
    they can easily be found in every city in the world where Judaism is
    allowed, and many where it's NOT allowed. But my argument doesn't hinge on
    the
    characteristics of the Jews. The most polite, conscious Jew in the world
    still causes problems.

    I don't know that. Jews offer a negative role model to thousands of
    kids who don't know better.

    I tried that for many years. In fact, I haven't abandoned it. But Jews
    only respond negatively to ANY criticism of Judaism. I have yet to
    meet even ONE who is open to giving up their selfish, destructive culture.
    I just
    tell the truth. It's your move.

    I don't "target Jews". I target JUDAISM. Get it?

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.
    It's
    about Judaism.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest too
    much", if you get my drift. Why are Jews so interested in shutting me
    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am convinced
    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror.

    Good one (in context)!
    With that said, JEWS JEWS JEWS!
    /Scott/Moshe


  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Before spending a single calorie fighting the effects mountain bikers, I


    would suggest careful scrutiny of the following examples as comparative
    analysis and strategic planning. Might these, regarded in totality, be
    examples of subjects more significant to the endeavor of environmental
    protection than mountain bike mis-use:

    Quoted message said:

    1. Leaf blowers


    2. Yard-care products (usually carried to fresh water habitats by
    storm-drain systems)
    3. Contraception-adverse Organized religions
    4. Politically significant groups that de-emphasize long-term


    environmental

    Quoted message said:

    priorities (Kyoto, EPA, etc.)
    5. An uninformed voting public
    6. Recycling and reuse
    7. National petroleum use and automotive efficiency standards
    8. Consumption based rewards programs
    9. Misappropriated anti-conservation federal subsidies (+6000lb SUV tax
    loophole)
    10. Indigenous seed-stock modification (Monsanto)......and so on.

    Quoted message said:

    I suggest that, relative to bigger environmental threats such as those


    listed above, targeting mountain bikers

    I don't "target mountain bikers". I target mountain BIKING. Get it?

    Mountain bikers riding a mountain bike are engaged in mountain biking. Take
    the bike away, and there is no biking. Therefore, bikers and biking is the
    same thing. To be against the activity is to be against those that engage in
    it. Attacks on one are attacks on the other. To be against one is to be
    against the other. You can't be against one and not the other because
    without one, the other does not exist. Surely a PhD can't possibly be so
    stupid that he would need this explained.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is time wasted on a comparatively


    insignificant factor even if we assume worst-case behavior of 100% of the
    mountain bike rider population.

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.


    It's

    Quoted message said:

    about mountain biking.


    That is a behavior.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why alienate the swing voters unless you care less about the bigger cause


    than a personal rant.

    That's where you went off track. I don't "alienate" anyone. I just tell


    the

    Quoted message said:

    truth.

    You alienate virtually everyone.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Keep up the good work but sharpen the focus.


    Focus, focus, focus.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest


    too

    Quoted message said:

    much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in


    shutting me

    Quoted message said:

    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am


    convinced

    Quoted message said:

    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True environmentalists


    don't

    Quoted message said:

    try to shut up other environmentalists.

    Because there are bigger fish to fry.

    If you are 100% effective in your goal to get all moutnain bikes off the
    trails, your impact on the environment would affect less than 0.004% of the
    environment, and that is giving you the benefit of any and all arguments.
    This guy is merely asking why you are so rabid about a cause with so little
    affect. He is suggesting that with all of the energy you pour into this, you
    could pour the same energy into a topic that would yield greater overall
    environmental benefits. But, I am certain you will simply insult and dismiss
    ....

  7. Jeff Strickland said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Before spending a single calorie fighting the effects mountain bikers, I


    would suggest careful scrutiny of the following examples as comparative
    analysis and strategic planning. Might these, regarded in totality, be
    examples of subjects more significant to the endeavor of environmental
    protection than mountain bike mis-use:

    Quoted message said:

    1. Leaf blowers


    2. Yard-care products (usually carried to fresh water habitats by
    storm-drain systems)
    3. Contraception-adverse Organized religions
    4. Politically significant groups that de-emphasize long-term


    environmental

    Quoted message said:

    priorities (Kyoto, EPA, etc.)
    5. An uninformed voting public
    6. Recycling and reuse
    7. National petroleum use and automotive efficiency standards
    8. Consumption based rewards programs
    9. Misappropriated anti-conservation federal subsidies (+6000lb SUV tax
    loophole)
    10. Indigenous seed-stock modification (Monsanto)......and so on.

    Quoted message said:

    I suggest that, relative to bigger environmental threats such as those


    listed above, targeting mountain bikers

    I don't "target mountain bikers". I target mountain BIKING. Get it?

    Mountain bikers riding a mountain bike are engaged in mountain biking. Take
    the bike away, and there is no biking. Therefore, bikers and biking is the
    same thing. To be against the activity is to be against those that engage in
    it. Attacks on one are attacks on the other. To be against one is to be
    against the other. You can't be against one and not the other because
    without one, the other does not exist. Surely a PhD can't possibly be so
    stupid that he would need this explained.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is time wasted on a comparatively


    insignificant factor even if we assume worst-case behavior of 100% of the
    mountain bike rider population.

    This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.


    It's

    Quoted message said:

    about mountain biking.


    That is a behavior.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why alienate the swing voters unless you care less about the bigger cause


    than a personal rant.

    That's where you went off track. I don't "alienate" anyone. I just tell


    the

    Quoted message said:

    truth.

    You alienate virtually everyone.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Keep up the good work but sharpen the focus.


    Focus, focus, focus.

    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest


    too

    Quoted message said:

    much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in


    shutting me

    Quoted message said:

    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am


    convinced

    Quoted message said:

    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True environmentalists


    don't

    Quoted message said:

    try to shut up other environmentalists.

    Because there are bigger fish to fry.

    If you are 100% effective in your goal to get all moutnain bikes off the
    trails, your impact on the environment would affect less than 0.004% of the
    environment, and that is giving you the benefit of any and all arguments.
    This guy is merely asking why you are so rabid about a cause with so little
    affect. He is suggesting that with all of the energy you pour into this, you
    could pour the same energy into a topic that would yield greater overall
    environmental benefits. But, I am certain you will simply insult and dismiss
    ...

    Time to restate the obvious.....

    I think that 99.9% of us will agree that when you compare the impact
    that mountain biking has on the environment as compared to say, the
    internal combustion engine, or something even more technical like the
    long and short term effects of phosphate and phosphate derivatives
    found in agricultural runoff and wastes on riverine ecosystems, then
    you realize that you are really comparing a Moped to the Queen Mary 2.
    In other words, there ain't no significant comparison.

    Now, if you want to compare the before and after effects of mountain
    biking and any related damage on a trail in the wilderness,
    backcountry, or city park, you may have an argument. But you can also
    make the exact same argument for horses, and ORV's. Then you should
    realize that this is not an environmental issue per se, but an issue
    about local trail usage and the people and groups who want to use
    them. And there is the rub.

    Yes, mikey wants to get mountain bikers off the trails. But if you
    have read his posts over the years, and paid attention to his sig,
    then you should realize that he is trying to stop all access and
    development in all areas. That means no more suburbs, no more
    subdivisions, no more roads, no more building, no lumbering, no
    birdwatchers, no hikers, no equestrians, no climbers, no bikers, no
    hunters, no fishermen, no caving, no camping, no human impact at all
    anywhere.

    No quaint miners cabins and relics carefully preserved in Death
    Valley, no stabilized ruins like Fort Sumter or Alcatraz, no hotel
    facilities like at Yosemite, no lodge house at Glacier nor cute
    antique buses to carry the blue hairs over the continental divide, no
    special Amtrac train linking some of the greatest NP's in the west.
    Nothing. Nada. Zip.

    Honestly, those of us, both on the front lines and in the shadows, who
    are trying to do something constructive in, say, Environmental
    Protection, need MV's rabid rhetoric and support about as much as the
    Islamic Jihad needs affiliation with the American based Nation of
    Islam. I think it is good thing that we all recognize that MV is a
    lone voice in the wilderness. After all, look what happened to John
    the Baptist....

    The bottom obviious line: Mikey is against anything that results in
    the great outdoors being developed or used by anyone in anyway. His
    ideal world, if it had humans in it, would seem to be similar to a
    planet of couch potatoes who never venture outside the confines of
    their grass huts.

    All this means that once he's finished (if ever) with mountain bikers,
    he'll turn his wrath and ire on some other group. Maybe snowmobilers.
    No wait! That's Beno's rant....

    MOM

    Quoted message said:
  8. Quoted message said:


    Time to restate the obvious.....

    I think that 99.9% of us will agree that when you compare the impact
    that mountain biking has on the environment as compared to say, the
    internal combustion engine, or something even more technical like the
    long and short term effects of phosphate and phosphate derivatives
    found in agricultural runoff and wastes on riverine ecosystems, then
    you realize that you are really comparing a Moped to the Queen Mary 2.
    In other words, there ain't no significant comparison.


    You are right, but Mike's agenda is to get bikes out of the woods. He isn't
    so much concerned with air quality as he is with erosion control and the
    impact on the animals.

    If the discussion was about air pollution, then the issue of bikes vs.
    hiknig wouldn't be the topic, the topic would be bikes vs. cars. Obviously,
    bikes have less impact than cars, especially in the woods, therefore logic
    would say that bikes would be the preferred mode of travel. The World
    According to Mike says that bikes are bad, and nothing is worse.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, if you want to compare the before and after effects of mountain
    biking and any related damage on a trail in the wilderness,
    backcountry, or city park, you may have an argument. But you can also
    make the exact same argument for horses, and ORV's. Then you should
    realize that this is not an environmental issue per se, but an issue
    about local trail usage and the people and groups who want to use
    them. And there is the rub.

    Yes, mikey wants to get mountain bikers off the trails. But if you
    have read his posts over the years, and paid attention to his sig,
    then you should realize that he is trying to stop all access and
    development in all areas. That means no more suburbs, no more
    subdivisions, no more roads, no more building, no lumbering, no
    birdwatchers, no hikers, no equestrians, no climbers, no bikers, no
    hunters, no fishermen, no caving, no camping, no human impact at all
    anywhere.

    That is true. Mike's agenda TODAY is bikes, but his agenda for the long term
    is everything everywhere. Bikes today, boots tomorrow. I guess he has to
    start somewhere ...

    Quoted message said:

    No quaint miners cabins and relics carefully preserved in Death
    Valley, no stabilized ruins like Fort Sumter or Alcatraz, no hotel
    facilities like at Yosemite, no lodge house at Glacier nor cute
    antique buses to carry the blue hairs over the continental divide, no
    special Amtrac train linking some of the greatest NP's in the west.
    Nothing. Nada. Zip.

    Honestly, those of us, both on the front lines and in the shadows, who
    are trying to do something constructive in, say, Environmental
    Protection, need MV's rabid rhetoric and support about as much as the
    Islamic Jihad needs affiliation with the American based Nation of
    Islam. I think it is good thing that we all recognize that MV is a
    lone voice in the wilderness. After all, look what happened to John
    the Baptist....

    I pray he is a lone voice in the wilderness, but I fear there are some
    quarters out there that actually listen to his maniacal rantings.

    Quoted message said:

    The bottom obviious line: Mikey is against anything that results in
    the great outdoors being developed or used by anyone in anyway. His
    ideal world, if it had humans in it, would seem to be similar to a
    planet of couch potatoes who never venture outside the confines of
    their grass huts.

    All this means that once he's finished (if ever) with mountain bikers,
    he'll turn his wrath and ire on some other group. Maybe snowmobilers.
    No wait! That's Beno's rant....

    MOM

    I thought I could say it better, but I can't. Sorry for butting in on your
    space.

  9. Mike Vandeman said:


    Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest too
    much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in shutting me
    up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am convinced
    that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True environmentalists don't
    try to shut up other environmentalists.

    Which on are you? A "true environmentalist" or an "other environmentalist"? Shut you
    up...? No, it is more useful to have you around so the extremes light the way for
    moderate, common good.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sincerely,


    Karsen Chinook

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  10. Would you * please * get a newsreader which correctly delimits each line
    of replied to text. Trying to decipher your posts is impossible.

  11. Walter Mitty said:

    Would you * please * get a newsreader which correctly delimits each
    line of replied to text. Trying to decipher your posts is
    impossible.

    haha, a different news reader isn't going to fix the content.....

  12. Penny S said:
    Walter Mitty said:

    Would you * please * get a newsreader which correctly delimits each
    line of replied to text. Trying to decipher your posts is
    impossible.

    haha, a different news reader isn't going to fix the content.....

    Besides, the mad doc has only been a Uesenetter for...what, like, 20 years?
    Can't expect him to learn THAT fast.

    Bill "here's a hint, M^V: lose the stupid periods (there's a reason
    everyone else uses >'s) and try trimming" S.

  13. My posts are hard to decipher?

    I try very hard to make sure people can tell where my comments start and end
    relative to the comments I am Replying to.

    Maybe there is another that is posting, and you Reply to that person just
    looks like it is a Reply to me.

    "Walter Mitty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Would you * please * get a newsreader which correctly delimits each line
    of replied to text. Trying to decipher your posts is impossible.

  14. On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:12:28 GMT, mean old man <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    ..On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
    ..<[email hidden]> wrote:
    ..
    ..>
    ..>> >Before spending a single calorie fighting the effects mountain bikers, I
    ..>> would suggest careful scrutiny of the following examples as comparative
    ..>> analysis and strategic planning. Might these, regarded in totality, be
    ..>> examples of subjects more significant to the endeavor of environmental
    ..>> protection than mountain bike mis-use:
    ..>>
    ..>> >1. Leaf blowers
    ..>> 2. Yard-care products (usually carried to fresh water habitats by
    ..>> storm-drain systems)
    ..>> 3. Contraception-adverse Organized religions
    ..>> 4. Politically significant groups that de-emphasize long-term
    ..>environmental
    ..>> priorities (Kyoto, EPA, etc.)
    ..>> 5. An uninformed voting public
    ..>> 6. Recycling and reuse
    ..>> 7. National petroleum use and automotive efficiency standards
    ..>> 8. Consumption based rewards programs
    ..>> 9. Misappropriated anti-conservation federal subsidies (+6000lb SUV tax
    ..>> loophole)
    ..>> 10. Indigenous seed-stock modification (Monsanto)......and so on.
    ..>>
    ..>> >I suggest that, relative to bigger environmental threats such as those
    ..>> listed above, targeting mountain bikers
    ..>>
    ..>> I don't "target mountain bikers". I target mountain BIKING. Get it?
    ..>>
    ..>
    ..>Mountain bikers riding a mountain bike are engaged in mountain biking. Take
    ..>the bike away, and there is no biking. Therefore, bikers and biking is the
    ..>same thing. To be against the activity is to be against those that engage in
    ..>it. Attacks on one are attacks on the other. To be against one is to be
    ..>against the other. You can't be against one and not the other because
    ..>without one, the other does not exist. Surely a PhD can't possibly be so
    ..>stupid that he would need this explained.
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>> >is time wasted on a comparatively
    ..>> insignificant factor even if we assume worst-case behavior of 100% of the
    ..>> mountain bike rider population.
    ..>>
    ..>> This isn't about special behavior, as much as you'd like to believe that.
    ..>It's
    ..>> about mountain biking.
    ..>>
    ..>That is a behavior.
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>> >Why alienate the swing voters unless you care less about the bigger cause
    ..>> than a personal rant.
    ..>>
    ..>> That's where you went off track. I don't "alienate" anyone. I just tell
    ..>the
    ..>> truth.
    ..>>
    ..>
    ..>You alienate virtually everyone.
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>> >Keep up the good work but sharpen the focus.
    ..>> Focus, focus, focus.
    ..>>
    ..>> Nice try, but you don't make a good argument. I think "thou dost protest
    ..>too
    ..>> much", if you get my drift. Why are mountain bikers so interested in
    ..>shutting me
    ..>> up? That says a lot. The more you try to shut me up, the more I am
    ..>convinced
    ..>> that I am on the right track. Look in the mirror. True environmentalists
    ..>don't
    ..>> try to shut up other environmentalists.
    ..>>
    ..>
    ..>Because there are bigger fish to fry.
    ..>
    ..>If you are 100% effective in your goal to get all moutnain bikes off the
    ..>trails, your impact on the environment would affect less than 0.004% of the
    ..>environment, and that is giving you the benefit of any and all arguments.
    ..>This guy is merely asking why you are so rabid about a cause with so little
    ..>affect. He is suggesting that with all of the energy you pour into this, you
    ..>could pour the same energy into a topic that would yield greater overall
    ..>environmental benefits. But, I am certain you will simply insult and dismiss
    ..>...
    ..>
    ..>
    ..
    ..Time to restate the obvious.....
    ..
    ..I think that 99.9% of us will agree that when you compare the impact
    ..that mountain biking has on the environment as compared to say, the
    ..internal combustion engine, or something even more technical like the
    ..long and short term effects of phosphate and phosphate derivatives
    ..found in agricultural runoff and wastes on riverine ecosystems, then
    ..you realize that you are really comparing a Moped to the Queen Mary 2.
    ..In other words, there ain't no significant comparison.
    ..
    ..Now, if you want to compare the before and after effects of mountain
    ..biking and any related damage on a trail in the wilderness,
    ..backcountry, or city park, you may have an argument.

    Not "may", "do".

    But you can also
    ..make the exact same argument for horses, and ORV's.

    There are no ORVs in parks. That's irrelevant.

    Then you should
    ..realize that this is not an environmental issue per se, but an issue
    ..about local trail usage and the people and groups who want to use
    ..them. And there is the rub.
    ..
    ..Yes, mikey wants to get mountain bikers off the trails. But if you
    ..have read his posts over the years, and paid attention to his sig,
    ..then you should realize that he is trying to stop all access and
    ..development in all areas. That means no more suburbs, no more
    ..subdivisions, no more roads, no more building, no lumbering, no
    ..birdwatchers, no hikers, no equestrians, no climbers, no bikers, no
    ..hunters, no fishermen, no caving, no camping, no human impact at all
    ..anywhere.
    ..
    ..No quaint miners cabins and relics carefully preserved in Death
    ..Valley, no stabilized ruins like Fort Sumter or Alcatraz, no hotel
    ..facilities like at Yosemite, no lodge house at Glacier nor cute
    ..antique buses to carry the blue hairs over the continental divide, no
    ..special Amtrac train linking some of the greatest NP's in the west.
    ..Nothing. Nada. Zip.
    ..
    ..Honestly, those of us, both on the front lines and in the shadows, who
    ..are trying to do something constructive in, say, Environmental
    ..Protection, need MV's rabid rhetoric and support about as much as the
    ..Islamic Jihad needs affiliation with the American based Nation of
    ..Islam. I think it is good thing that we all recognize that MV is a
    ..lone voice in the wilderness. After all, look what happened to John
    ..the Baptist....
    ..
    ..The bottom obviious line: Mikey is against anything that results in
    ..the great outdoors being developed or used by anyone in anyway. His
    ..ideal world, if it had humans in it, would seem to be similar to a
    ..planet of couch potatoes who never venture outside the confines of
    ..their grass huts.
    ..
    ..All this means that once he's finished (if ever) with mountain bikers,
    ..he'll turn his wrath and ire on some other group. Maybe snowmobilers.
    ..No wait! That's Beno's rant....
    ..
    ..MOM
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>
    ..>

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.