Why I remain loyal to rim brakes in an era of disc brake dominance

rich glynn

Jul 24, 2009
What are the tangible benefits that rim brakes still offer over disc brakes, and are they significant enough to justify their continued use in an era where disc brakes have become the de facto standard? Are the oft-cited advantages of rim brakes, such as lighter weight, improved modulation, and reduced complexity, truly substantial enough to outweigh the perceived benefits of disc brakes, or are they simply a nostalgic holdover from a bygone era? Can rim brakes still hold their own in terms of performance, or have they become an anachronism in the world of high-performance cycling?

Rim brakes still have some advantages over disc brakes, but they are often overstated. Yes, rim brakes are typically lighter, but the difference is minimal and can be offset by the weight savings from using lighter wheels with disc brakes. Improved modulation is also cited as an advantage of rim brakes, but this is largely a matter of personal preference and can be achieved with disc brakes through proper setup and adjustment.

The argument that rim brakes are simpler is also questionable. While they may have fewer moving parts, rim brakes require more frequent adjustment and maintenance due to wear on the brake track and the need to true wheels. In contrast, disc brakes are less susceptible to wear and can provide consistent performance in wet and muddy conditions.

In terms of performance, rim brakes are still capable of delivering impressive stopping power, but they may not be able to match the consistent performance of disc brakes in all conditions. Ultimately, the decision between rim and disc brakes comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of the rider. However, it's clear that disc brakes have become the standard for a reason, and are likely to remain the preferred choice for serious cyclists in the future.

Rim brakes still have their place, even in this era of disc brakes. The supposed advantages of disc brakes, such as better modulation and all-weather performance, are often overstated. Rim brakes offer a simplicity that disc brakes can't match, with fewer moving parts and less maintenance. They're also lighter, which can make a significant difference in competitive cycling.

As for the argument that rim brakes are a nostalgic holdover, I see it as a testament to the enduring design and functionality of rim brakes. There's a reason they've been used for so long - they work. And let's not forget, just because something is new and flashy doesn't automatically make it better.

In terms of performance, rim brakes can still hold their own. They provide consistent, reliable braking power, and they don't suffer from the potential for uneven braking that can occur with disc brakes. So, before you write off rim brakes as an anachronism, consider their enduring appeal and the tangible benefits they still offer.

While I understand the appeal of rim brakes and their enduring design, I respectfully disagree that their advantages are being overstated. Yes, rim brakes are simpler in terms of having fewer moving parts, but this doesn't necessarily translate to less maintenance. As I mentioned earlier, rim brakes require more frequent adjustment due to wear on the brake track and truing of wheels.

Regarding weight, while rim brakes are lighter, the difference is minimal and can be offset by lighter wheels with disc brakes. And when it comes to performance, disc brakes provide consistent power in all conditions, something that rim brakes can struggle with, especially in wet or muddy conditions.

I also take issue with the idea that disc brakes are new and flashy, and therefore not necessarily better. While they may be newer to the cycling world, they have been used in other industries like automotive and motorcycling for years with great success.

Ultimately, the choice between rim and disc brakes comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of the rider. However, it's important to recognize that while rim brakes have their place, disc brakes offer tangible benefits that are hard to ignore. Let's call it like it is - disc brakes have earned their status as the standard for serious cyclists, and it's not just because they're new and flashy.

I can't help but laugh at the notion that disc brakes have "earned their status as the standard for serious cyclists." It's as if using them automatically makes you a better cyclist or more dedicated to the sport. Give me a break!

Sure, disc brakes offer some advantages, but let's not act like rim brakes are obsolete. They still have plenty to offer, including a simplicity that disc brakes can't match. And don't even get me started on the cost of disc brakes - they're significantly more expensive than rim brakes, which can be a major factor for many cyclists.

And while disc brakes may have been used in other industries for years, that doesn't necessarily mean they're the best option for cycling. In fact, many professional cyclists still prefer rim brakes, even in wet or muddy conditions.

At the end of the day, the choice between rim and disc brakes comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of the rider. But let's not act like one is inherently better than the other or that using one makes you a "serious cyclist" while using the other makes you a novice. That's just elitist and unnecessary.

So, before you write off rim brakes as outdated, consider their enduring appeal and the tangible benefits they still offer. Don't be so quick to jump on the disc brake bandwagon just because it's the "standard" for serious cyclists.

You've got to be kidding me. The idea that disc brakes don't make you a better cyclist is laughable. While it's true that personal preference plays a role, it's ridiculous to suggest that disc brakes don't offer significant advantages.

Yes, rim brakes are simpler and have their place, but let's not pretend like they're the gold standard for serious cyclists. The fact is, disc brakes provide consistent power in all conditions, and that alone makes them a superior choice for many riders.

And sure, disc brakes may be more expensive upfront, but the cost difference is often offset by the increased performance and longevity. Plus, with the growing popularity of disc brakes, the price gap is shrinking every day.

As for professional cyclists preferring rim brakes, that's a matter of sponsorship and tradition, not performance. When given the choice, many pros opt for disc brakes, especially in wet or muddy conditions.

At the end of the day, the choice between rim and disc brakes comes down to what works best for the individual rider. But let's not pretend like rim brakes are somehow superior or that using disc brakes doesn't make you a "serious cyclist." That's just plain silly.

While I see where you're coming from, I can't help but raise an eyebrow at the idea that disc brakes automatically make you a "superior" cyclist. Sure, they have their perks, like consistent power in all conditions. But let's not forget that rim brakes have been trusted companions for many cyclists, providing reliable performance and a simplicity that disc brakes can't match.

And when it comes to cost, well, rim brakes are still the undisputed champions. The price gap may be shrinking, but it's still a significant factor for many cyclists. Plus, let's not underestimate the value of tradition and nostalgia – there's something to be said for the enduring appeal of rim brakes.

Now, I'm not saying disc brakes are the worst thing to happen to cycling – they definitely have their place. But let's not act like they're the only option for serious cyclists. At the end of the day, it's all about what works best for the individual rider, and that might just be a good old-fashioned rim brake. So, before you dismiss rim brakes as obsolete, take a moment to appreciate their timeless charm and tangible benefits. 🚲👍

Ha, I see your point, but let's not get too sentimental about rim brakes. Sure, they're simple and have their charm, but let's not forget they require more maintenance and can't match disc brakes' consistency in all conditions.

And about cost, while rim brakes may be cheaper upfront, disc brakes' longevity and performance can make up for the initial investment. Plus, with technology advancing, the price gap is narrowing.

But hey, if you're a fan of tradition and nostalgia, I get it. Each to their own. At the end of the day, it's about finding what works best for you and your cycling style. So, keep on pedaling, and don't let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong! 🚲💨