Why is the first mile hard?

yk

Guest
A beginner question.
I run 3-4miles a day.
I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.
What is the reason ?

"yk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A beginner question.
> I run 3-4miles a day.
> I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.
> What is the reason ?

It takes a while for the body to "warm-up".

For that reason it's a good idea to start off at a
very gentle pace, and gradually run faster.

Good luck.

Anthony.

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:20:30 -0800, "yk" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>A beginner question.
>I run 3-4miles a day.
>I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.
>What is the reason ?

You are a *****.

/ ~ .\
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

"yk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A beginner question.
> I run 3-4miles a day.
> I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.
> What is the reason ?

Perfectly normal. In fact, I ran 2 races in consecutive weekends just this
past week, the first a full, the 2nd a 1/2 marathon. In the full, it took me
9 miles to start feeling okay. In the 1/2, 3 miles. This is why I don't run
5k's ;).

--
`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°
,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,

On 2006-01-17, eNo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Perfectly normal. In fact, I ran 2 races in consecutive weekends just this
> past week, the first a full, the 2nd a 1/2 marathon. In the full, it took me
> 9 miles to start feeling okay. In the 1/2, 3 miles. This is why I don't run
> 5k's ;).

It's also why some of us who run 5k or shorter like to do some sort of warm up.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

wrote:

>A beginner question.
>I run 3-4miles a day.

>I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.

me too
>What is the reason ?

because your circulatory system, respiratory system, and muscular
systems have to get into equilibrium. In other words, you have to
warm up. I don't know of any shortcut.

If you're a true beginner, you might start off that first mile with a
bit of walking...let the body get into it that way, and when you feel
ready (or after perhaps 2-3 minutes of walking), start running. Might
not feel quite so hard that way. Just a thought.

Mike C

yk wrote:
> A beginner question.
> I run 3-4miles a day.
> I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.
> What is the reason ?

"Mike C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you're a true beginner, you might start off that first mile with a
> bit of walking...let the body get into it that way, and when you feel
> ready (or after perhaps 2-3 minutes of walking), start running. Might
> not feel quite so hard that way. Just a thought.

This isn't rocket science. Start off nice and slow, be this a walk or
very slow jog. After you feel warmed up slowly pick up the pace but stay
comfortable. Comfortable is warmed up muscles and the ability to talk to
someone if they were running with you.

-DF

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:21:07 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> If you're a true beginner, you might start off that first mile with a
>> bit of walking...let the body get into it that way, and when you feel
>> ready (or after perhaps 2-3 minutes of walking), start running. Might
>> not feel quite so hard that way. Just a thought.

>This isn't rocket science. Start off nice and slow, be this a walk or
>very slow jog. After you feel warmed up slowly pick up the pace but stay
>comfortable. Comfortable is warmed up muscles and the ability to talk to
>someone if they were running with you.

I have a trick to ensure I warm up properly:

As I start my run, I shut my mouth and breathe only through my nose.
If I absent-mindedly start picking up the pace, the urge to start
sucking in air through my mouth will become irresistable - so I will
slow down instead.

How long to "warm up"? Varies for me. On a hot summer day, I'm ready
to speed up after half a mile or so. In the dead of winter, I'll be
nose-breathing for 8-13 minutes.

Although I time and log each run, I allow myself a long warm-up if I
think I need it. My time will suck, but that just means my next run on
this loop has plenty of room for improvement. ;0)

- TR
ObReview: I used to post here a few years back. My running had
progressed well, with 20min 5K's. But I enjoyed drinking too much.
Changed jobs. Got lazy. Put on weight. Didn't care. Now I'm back. I
have 20 pounds to lose. It's peeling off easy and my "running legs"
are returning well. I'm going easy - just 15 or so miles per week at
an easy 8-9min pace. My goal is to simply run injury-free, not to win
races or impress this motley NG. I'll post my race stories as they
come up, and I'll keep them entertaining.

Oh c'mon, are you really that dense? Just start on mile two.

yk wrote:
> A beginner question.
> I run 3-4miles a day.
> I always feel the first 1 mile the hardest.
> What is the reason ?

Because you go out too fast, and then after that hard mile, you stop
putting in the effort.

If you properly distribute your effort over the intented distance, it
will start easy and become gradually harder.

Doug Freese wrote:
> "Mike C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If you're a true beginner, you might start off that first mile with a
> > bit of walking...let the body get into it that way, and when you feel
> > ready (or after perhaps 2-3 minutes of walking), start running. Might
> > not feel quite so hard that way. Just a thought.

> This isn't rocket science. Start off nice and slow, be this a walk or
> very slow jog. After you feel warmed up slowly pick up the pace but stay
> comfortable. Comfortable is warmed up muscles and the ability to talk to
> someone if they were running with you.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The start of a run is
always super-easy for me, and I can go way too fast without being aware
of it. I'm always dying near the end of a run. No matter what the
distance is, I can divide my effort so that in the last half mile, the
urge to walk is almost overwhelming, be it 4 miles, 8 miles, 12 or 22.

In the first mile, I can easily clock 30-45 seconds per mile faster
than the intended pace, without being aware of it. I feel light, fast
and springy.

My trick is to avoid going too fast is to limit the oxygen coming in. I
will breathe in, count 15 more steps, then breathe out, count 15 more
steps and so on. The actual count varies on the intended pace and
distance.

But I'm still a youngster, only 35. I'm slicking along with 5W-20 oil,
whereas you old farts have SAE-80 syrup gummed up in the bottoms of
your oil pans that needs 8 miles of warm-up before it reaches those
titanium knee and hip joints.

One thing I find difficult at the beginning that gets easier is the
handling of bad weather. Like heavy January rain coming down. That
requires a kind of equilibrium to establish itself. Mainly, I think,
it's psychological. You stabilize at a certain level of discomfort, and
then when you can take five minutes of it, you can progress to ten.
Then ten becomes twenty, twenty becomes one hour and one hour soon
becomes three.