BHE said:Someone told me its unhealthy to train at > 80% of my max
heart rate for long periods of time (not interval
training). I usually train for 40 minutes, 20 minutes in
the 60%-80% zone, and 20 minutes > 80%. My friend says it
better to do 40 (or longer) at 70%, and that what I'm
doing is unhealthy for my heart.
My resting heart rate is 60, so I don't think I'm over
training.
How does one get a lower pulse and blood pressure? Is it
due to longer periods (45-60 minutes) of lower intensity
(60%)? What about 40 minutes at 70-85%, if one doesnt have
60 minutes?
First off, make sure you are basing your limitation on the
correct max HR. If you are using the silly 220-age formula
or some derivation thereof... Well, I'd be at 100+% most of
my runs. Once you know what your true _individual_ max HR is
(and this, really, can only be known by measurement), then
80% for non-interval/speed sessions is probably a good rule
to go by. Note, however, that most of my easy-to-tempo runs
take me above 160 (measured max HR=200; resting HR=45),
especially in hot weather, so treat this is as a guideline
more than a hard-set rule.
--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,-
,ø¤º eNo "If you can't go fast, go long." ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°-
`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º