UK and Europe · Public discussion

Why the change?

Started by wafflycat · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,439 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
28 January 2006
Last activity
1 February 2006
Original author
wafflycat
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,439
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    wafflycat said:

    "Mike Causer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Once you've ridden a properly suspended bike, not a £49.99 special, you
    understand how good it can be. Of course you can't stomp the pedals,
    and
    are forced to sit and spin, just as on a 'bent.

    So where does one get these £49.99 special Trices then?

    What makes you think a Trice is not properly suspended?

    Did I say it wasn't?

    Cheers, helen s

  2. John B said:


    Tony Raven said:
    John B said:

    > Replacing the Brommie rubber block with a Birdy yellow elastomer
    > stiffens it up substantially. Apart from a little bit of Stanley
    > knife work on the two ends of the central hole, they are a direct
    > swap.
    Many thanks for the tip. Do you know where I can get one?


    A Birdy dealer?

    Doh ;-)
    There isn't one for a million miles.
    I suppose it will have to be mail order to somwhere then, but the
    hoseclip idea might be worth trying first.

    You could always try Kinetics
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/spare_parts1.shtml

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  3. Peter Clinch said:
    wafflycat said:

    My 'bent is an IceT, the entry-level 'bent from Trice. Got it Christmas
    2004. It's not the speediest machine, but it's very comfortable, and
    lovely to use. I see that Trice have completely revamped the entry-level
    machines, to put rear suspension on all of them. I can't fathom out why
    rear suspension is warranted.

    Quoted message said:

    Lots of perfectly satisfactory things have been "improved" just to
    look fancier, but some really do get better. There was nothing
    /wrong/ with friction shifters on the downtube, but how many people
    really can't see any point in indexed shifters built into the
    hoods? Don't knock it until you've tried it, in other words: I
    think the ICE boys know their stuff when it comes to engineering
    and aren't in the business of pointless gimmickry.

    Isn't one of the side effects of the new rear end that it can now fold
    under in a Brompton/Birdy stylee?
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  4. Tony Raven said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Replacing the Brommie rubber block with a Birdy yellow elastomer
    >> stiffens it up substantially. Apart from a little bit of Stanley

    Quoted message said:

    Doh ;-)
    There isn't one for a million miles.
    I suppose it will have to be mail order to somwhere then, but the
    hoseclip idea might be worth trying first.

    You could always try Kinetics
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/spare_parts1.shtml

    Very many thanks - appreciated Tony.
    I'll send off tomorrow.
    The site has reminded me to get some new tyres too - presently Bromptons
    own which slip too much and hate drain covers
    Will probably go for Marathons - unless of course anyone has other
    suggestions.

    John B

  5. Phil Cook said:

    Isn't one of the side effects of the new rear end that it can now fold
    under in a Brompton/Birdy stylee?

    That'll stop it falling over when you park it then.. Oh, hang on...

    IGMC

    ...d

  6. Mike Causer said:


    Once you've ridden a properly suspended bike, not a ?49.99 special, you
    understand how good it can be. Of course you can't stomp the pedals, and
    are forced to sit and spin, just as on a 'bent.

    I've tried various types of suspended bike, including a moulton and didn't
    like any of them for road use. I want something that's stiff, something that
    goes when you stamp on the pedals. Something I can welly up hills in a
    big gear.

    Instead of getting suspension I might as well grow a beard and ride a
    Galaxy everywhere at 13 mph 🙂

    Offroad is rather different - full sus is the way to go there for everything
    except groomed race courses (and even then, a little bit can be a good thing)

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  7. Arthur Clune said:

    I've tried various types of suspended bike, including a moulton
    and didn't like any of them for road use. I want something
    that's stiff, something that goes when you stamp on the pedals.
    Something I can welly up hills in a big gear.

    If that's what you like that's what you should have. But having
    been of similar mind a few years ago, I really learned to spin up
    hills when the first 'bent gave me no option, and now I prefer to
    take uprights up hills from the saddle at high cadence as well.

    And it's quite noticeable how much better a suspended bike is at
    going down the other side, especially on bumpy country roads. Even
    on the flat I've easily overtaken a carbon framed Look ridden by a
    younger, fitter and usually faster friend when the road surface had
    enough features that my suspension let my bike and me go forwards
    rather than up and down a lot. And that was without a load of
    touring luggage added.

    Quoted message said:

    Instead of getting suspension I might as well grow a beard and
    ride a Galaxy everywhere at 13 mph 🙂

    You'll need luggage too, of course, and 4 unsuspended panniers
    compared to a fully suspended load on yellow or white roads can
    make quite a chunk of difference. I note the 'T' in the name of
    Helen's trike stands for "Touring"...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. In article said:


    "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    wafflycat said:

    "Mike Causer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > Once you've ridden a properly suspended bike, not a £49.99 special, you
    > understand how good it can be. Of course you can't stomp the pedals,
    > and
    > are forced to sit and spin, just as on a 'bent.

    So where does one get these £49.99 special Trices then?

    What makes you think a Trice is not properly suspended?

    Did I say it wasn't?

    If you knew it was properly suspended, then "where does one get these
    \xa349.99 special Trices" would have been a stupid question, since no-one
    suggested you could get properly suspended bikes for \xa349.99.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    wafflycat (w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com) said:

    My 'bent is an IceT, the entry-level 'bent from Trice. Got it Christmas
    2004. It's not the speediest machine, but it's very comfortable, and lovely
    to use. I see that Trice have completely revamped the entry-level machines,
    to put rear suspension on all of them. I can't fathom out why rear
    suspension is warranted. Even on the uneven surfaces of Norfolk country
    lanes, there's never been a time when I've been out on the 'bent thinking,
    "I think this thing needs suspension"

    After finishing the Tour of the Hills with a pounding headache last
    year, I found myself wishing that I had opted for the suspended rear end
    on my Trice, but that's been the only time. Alternatively, I could have
    ridden the Speedmachine instead, which I think I would were I to do said
    ride again. Sadly it clashes with a race this year...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
    rather be seated upon the back of a bee.

  10. Dave Larrington said:

    After finishing the Tour of the Hills with a pounding headache last
    year, I found myself wishing that I had opted for the suspended rear end
    on my Trice, but that's been the only time. Alternatively, I could have
    ridden the Speedmachine instead, which I think I would were I to do said
    ride again. Sadly it clashes with a race this year...

    (checks AUK calendar hoping it clashes with the M family holiday to
    parts Greek) Bah; it doesn't. I sense bad karma, especially around the
    White Down area.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.